4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave H

Dave H

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

I'm looking at purchasing the Nikon 17-55mm Zoom lens to use with a D70s. The D70s is in an Ikelite housing and I was wondering (hoping) that someone out there might have used this lens with an Ikelite housing and can recommend which port to use. I am considering the 8 inch ports but not sure of which size.

Its not referred to on the Ikelite port page so I'm assumming they haven't tested it just yet?

Has anyone got any recommendations?

ta.

#2 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:42 PM

I haven't heard of anybody using it in an Ike Dave - it might be that the lens has too great a diameter?

And whatever happened to only ever using a coolpix mate? :lol:
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#3 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

Hi Dave,

As I suspected:

According to Ikelite - see the Dimension Notes section - the max lens diameter which fits is 84mm or 71mm if a zoom gear is required.

According to Nikon, the dimensions of the 17-55 are "approx. 85.5mm x 110.5mm."

Unfortunately, this would appear to suggest that even if a port could made that is physically long enough, it would not be wide enough to accomodate the Nikon 17-55.

You might need a Subal I'm afraid...

On the upside, the Sigma 17-70 macro does fit in either a standard dome or 8" - depending on your preferences.

Also, there must be a few S/H Subal housings floating around as folks rush to upgrade to D200s.

Sorry to rain on you.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com

#4 Dave H

Dave H

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:52 PM

And whatever happened to only ever using a coolpix mate?

'Unfortunately' work bought a d70s so I occasionally have to drop my standards and play with a slr - thank god I don't have to travel OS with it. :lol:

You're comments regarding the 17-55 echo my thoughts. As I have an Ike housing I may now just look at getting the 12-24mm, I was after a lens that was a bit more versatile for our grey nurse shark and fish ID photography so hence was interested in the 17-55.

I might suss out the Sigma 17-70 macro - it could be suitable for the stuff we do....

#5 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:18 PM

'Unfortunately' work bought a d70s so I occasionally have to drop my standards and play with a slr - thank god I don't have to travel OS with it.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ohhh diddums! :lol:

We're all feeling for you. :lol:

Good luck with the decision and let us know what you decide. Many people use the 12-24 with great success for sharks...
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com