70 replies to this topic

#41 alo100

alo100

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:03 AM

I checked some materials provided by Nikon, here's what I've found:

There is a picture I have seen: overlapping D80 with 200, 70s, 50.... just like what you have mentioned, the size of D50 is the closest one to D80.

Then D80 is using pentaprism, but unlike D200, D80 does not support manual lens light detection. Here are the other differences b/w D200 and D80, according to the review:

D80 3fps....(D200 =5fps)
Image Buffer 6 RAW...(D200 =22)
Multiple exposure 3.....(D200 =9)
Shutter speed 1/4000 ...(D200 1/8000)
X-sync 1/200...not 1/250
Using non-CPU lenses it only support M-mode, no TTL....(can't use Ai-S.....ZF lenses in A-mode)
Has only 3 AF mode (omitted the closest subject.....)
420-pixel RGB metering II.....not 1005-pixel
Exposure step 1/3 and 1/2.... omitted 1
Take away the switchable 11/7(wide) AF points, Group AF zones........only normal/wide center AF
2 channel image processing only vs. D2x/D200 has 4 channel processing

But comparing the price, D80 is a good deal.....

#42 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:45 AM

Here is another very interesting hands on preview:

http://www.imaging-r...DS/D80/D80A.HTM

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#43 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8387 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

Anyone know why the X synch is reduced to 1/200th? Seems strange as this suggests it is different shutter to all other Nikons? Surprised it isn't sharing parts?

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#44 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:20 PM

I was hoping for 1/500 like on the D70. :lol:
Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#45 jaydubbs15

jaydubbs15

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:40 PM

Will the D70s be cheaper now?

#46 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:46 PM

Another thing is the use of SD and not CF cards...
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#47 DrFiscus

DrFiscus

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography, snow skiing, golf

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:18 PM

Strangely silent is our Canadian friend from Aquatica.....
Jean???

Andy :lol: :lol:
Andy Malbin
DrFiscus@msn.com
www.oceandoctorshots.com

Nikon D200, D300, Aquatica housing, twin Ikelite DS 161's, Nikon 10.5, 60, VR105, Tokina 10 - 17, Sigma 17 - 70 HSM, Tokina 11 - 16

#48 SilvioMarchena

SilvioMarchena

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:31 PM

I don't think current D200 owners need to mope about this, unless of course they were thinking of selling up! You've got a camera that is broadly speaking the equal of the D80

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After taking loads of heat while we all awaited the D2x, Nikon has kind of taken off with a couple really great cameras now that thier flagship model is more than a year into sales. No doubt they were trying not to cannibalize sales from those waiting for the D2x, by offering the D200 and D80. And I feel kind of violated!

With the sole exception of pixel count vs. cost though, I cannot imagine why any D200 owner would pine for a D80.

I believe the D200 has the best capability/cost quotient that any maker currently offers (including the D80 and Canon 5D). It is a superb camera and value. It appears that the D80 is a fairly substantial upgrade from a D70, but it appears to fail the level of a D200.

Recognizing this camera will be attractive to many people on a budget, Nikon made a good decision fitting it with SD media which, for the careful shopper, is less than half the cost for same size and speed in CF.
Cheers,
Manaul

D2x in Seacam w Z-240s or SS200s, superdome and flat port, S45 and S180, 10.5, 12-24, 14, 17-35, 60, 105, 200, Seacam Wet Diopters

#49 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:03 PM

Will the D70s be cheaper now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While it lasts...

I imagine it will be slowly phased out over the coming months.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#50 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6193 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:20 PM

Strangely silent is our Canadian friend from Aquatica.....
Jean???
Andy :lol:  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well.... i guess we can wait till the camera actually comes out.. hahah

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#51 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:04 PM

Anyone know why the X synch is reduced to 1/200th? Seems strange as this suggests it is different shutter to all other Nikons? Surprised it isn't sharing parts?

Alex

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The mechanical shutter of the D100 only allowed 1/180 x-sync. The electronic shutter of the D70 made possible it's high x-sync. The new camera may have a shutter similar to these two?
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#52 alo100

alo100

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

THE SPEC, buddy:

Enjoy!!!
....................................................................................................
Nikon Digital SLR Camera D80 Specifications
Type of camera Single-lens reflex digital camera
Effective pixels 10.2 million
Image Sensor RGB CCD, 23.6 x 15.8mm; total pixels: 10.75 million, Nikon DX format
Image Size (pixels) 3,872 x 2,592 [L], 2,896 x 1,944 [M], 1,936 x 1,296 [S]
ISO Sensitivity (Recommended Exposure Index) 100 to 1600 (ISO equivalent) in steps of 1/3 EV, plus HI-0.3, HI-0.7 and HI-1
Storage Media SD memory card, SDHC compatible
Storage System Compressed NEF (RAW): 12-bit compression, JPEG: JPEG baseline-compliant
File System Exif 2.21, Compliant DCF 2.0 and DPOF
White Balance Auto (TTL white balance with 420-pixel RGB sensor), six manual modes with fine-tuning, color temperature setting (Kelvin), preset white balance; white balance bracketing also available
LCD Monitor 2.5-in., 230,000-dot, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment, allows up to 170-degree viewing angle.
Playback Function 1) Full frame 2) Thumbnail (4 or 9 segments) 3) Zoom 4) Slideshow (Standard or Pictmotion) 5) RGB histogram indication 6) Shooting data 7) Highlight point display 8) Auto image rotation
Delete Function Card format, All photographs delete, Selected photographs delete
Video Output
Can be selected from NTSC and PAL
Interface USB 2.0 (Hi-speed) (mini-B connector); SD card slot: supports firmware updates via SD cards
Text Input Up to 36 characters of alphanumeric text input available with LCD monitor and multi-selector; stored in Exif header
Compatible Lenses Nikon F mount (with AF coupling and AF contacts)
Picture Angle Equivalent in 35mm [135] format is approx. 1.5 times lens focal length
Viewfinder Fixed eye-level pentaprism; built-in diopter adjustment (-2.0 to +1.0m-1)
Eyepoint 19.5mm (-1.0m-1)
Focusing Screen Type-B BriteView Clear Matte screen Mark II with superimposed focus brackets and On-Demand grid lines
Viewfinder Frame Coverage Approx. 95% (vertical & horizontal)
Viewfinder Magnification Approx. 0.94x with 50mm lens at infinity; -1.0m-1
Viewfinder Information Focus indications, Metering system, AE/FV lock indicator, Flash sync indicator, Shutter speed, Aperture value, Exposure/Exposure compensation indicator, ISO sensitivity, Exposure mode, Flash output level compensation, Exposure compensation, Number of remaining exposures
Autofocus TTL phase detection by Nikon Multi-CAM 1000 autofocus module with AF-assist illuminator (approx. 0.5m to 3.0m) Detection range: EV -1 to +19 (ISO 100 equivalent, at normal temperature: 20°C/68°F)
Lens Servo Instant single-servo (AF-S); continuous-servo (AF-C); auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A); manual (M); predictive focus tracking automatically activated according to subject status in continuous-servo AF
Focus Areas 11 areas; any single area can be selected; center focus area can be switched from normal to wide-frame
AF Area Modes 1) Single Area AF: Focuses only on subjects in the selected area. Selection can be made from any one of the eleven AF spot sensors.
2) Dynamic Area AF: Focuses on subject in the selected area, but follows the subject if it moves from its original position, shifting instantly and automatically to the focus area into which the subject has moved.
3) Auto-area AF: measures all 11 focus areas, automatically determines which of them are on the primary subject, and activates only those areas.
Focus Lock Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing AE-L/AF-L button
Exposure Metering System Three-mode through-the-lens (TTL) exposure metering
1) 3D Color Matrix Metering II (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses); metering performed by 420-segment RGB sensor
2) Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 6, 8, or 10mm dia. circle in center of frame
3) Spot: Meters 3.5mm dia. circle (about 2.5% of frame) centered on active focus area (on center focus area when non-CPU lens is used, or if Auto-area AF is selected)
Exposure Metering Range (ISO 100, f/1.4 lens, 20°C/68°F) 1) EV 0 to 20 (3D Color Matrix or center-weighted metering)
2) EV 2 to 20 (spot metering)
Exposure Meter Coupling CPU coupling
Exposure Modes Digital Vari-Program (Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Macro Close up, Sports, Night Landscape, Night Portrait), Programmed Auto [P] with flexible program; Shutter-Priority Auto [S]; Aperture Priority Auto [A]; Manual [M]
Exposure Compensation ±5 EV in increments of 1/3 or 1/2 EV
Exposure Lock Luminosity locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button
Auto Exposure and Flash Bracketing 2 to 3 exposures in increments between 1/3 to 2.0 EV
Shooting Modes 1) Single frame shooting mode
2) Continuous shooting mode: approx. 3 frames per second
3) Self-timer
4) Delayed remote mode
5) Quick-response remote mode
Shutter Electronically-controlled vertical-travel focal plane shutter, 30 to 1/4000 sec. in steps of 1/3 or 1/2 EV, bulb
Sync Contact X-contact only; flash synchronization at up to 1/200 sec.
Flash Control 1) TTL: TTL flash control by 420-pixel RGB sensor Built-in Flash, SB-800, SB-600: i-TTL balanced fill-flash (except when using spot metering exposure mode) Built-in Flash, SB-800, SB-600: standard i-TTL flash (when using spot metering)
2) Auto aperture: Available with SB-800 with CPU lens
3) Non-TTL Auto: Available with Speedlights such as SB-800, 80DX, 28DX, 28, 27, and 22s
4) Range-priority manual; available with SB-800
Flash Sync Modes 1) Auto 2) Fill-in flash 3) Red-eye Reduction, 4) Red-eye Reduction with Slow Sync, 5) Slow Sync, 6) Rear-curtain Sync 7) Off
Built-in Flash (Auto, Portrait, Macro Close up, Night Portrait) auto flash with auto pop-up; Manual pop-up with button release Guide number (ISO 100, m/ft.): approx. 13/42
Flash Compensation -3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 or 1/2 EV
Accessory Shoe Standard ISO hot-shoe contact with safety lock provided
Self-timer Electronically controlled timer with 2 to 20 seconds duration (2, 5, 10, and 20 second selectable)
Depth of Field Preview When CPU lens is attached, lens aperture can be stopped down to value selected by user (A and M modes) or value selected by camera (P and S modes)
Remote Control Via Remote Cord MC-DC1 (optional) or Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 (optional)
Power Source One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e, MB-D80 battery pack (optional) with one or two rechargeable Nikon EN-EL3e Li-ion batteries or six AA alkaline (LR6), Ni-MH (HR6), lithium (FR6) batteries, or nickel-manganese (ZR6) AA batteries, AC Adapter EH-5 (optional)
Tripod Socket 1/4 in. (ISO 1222)
Dimensions (W x H x D) Approx. 132 x 103 x 77mm (5.2 x 4.1 x 3.0 in.)
Weight Approx. 585g (1 lb. 5 oz.) without battery, memory card, body cap, or monitor cover
Supplied Accessories* Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e, Quick Charger MH-18a, Audio Video Cable EG-D2, USB Cable UC-E4, Strap, Body cap, Eyepiece Cap DK-5, Rubber Eyecup DK-21, LCD monitor cover BM-7, Accessory shoe cover, PictureProject CD-ROM
Optional Accessories Multi-Power Battery Pack MB-D80, Magnifying Eyepiece DK-21M, AC Adapter EH-5, Wireless Remote Control ML-L3, Remote Cord MC-DC1, Speedlight SB-800/SB-600/SB-R200, Capture NX, Camera Control Pro

*Supplied accessories may differ in each country or area.

Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. August 2006

©2006 Nikon Corporation

#53 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2297 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:10 PM

There is a nice comparison write up that you can access from dpReview. A lot of the features are from the D50. In particular the metering method and module. Other features from the D200. It does have the 200's viewfinder and AF system. It is not weather sealed.

All in all sounds like a heck of a cost effective camera but there are some advantages to the D200. From what I read they don't use the same sensor.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#54 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8387 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:49 PM

I have been thinking seriously about getting a topside/backup camera for a while - and have tried the D50 a couple of times. When this is out I will definitely be having a good look at it.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#55 Simon Rogerson

Simon Rogerson

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:24 AM

Ah Mikey - to snap is human, to crop is divine...or at least convenient. Didn't really understand the rest of your message, though. Does Cannibis sativa grow wild on Yap?

toodle-pip,

SimonR

#56 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6193 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:12 AM

Ah Mikey - to snap is human, to crop is divine...or at least convenient. Didn't really understand the rest of your message, though. Does Cannibis sativa grow wild on Yap?

toodle-pip,

SimonR

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hahaha

don't i wish.. :blink:

I must admit its the bacardi plant that gets you out here... :guiness: :lol:

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#57 AlanB

AlanB

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:04 PM

I bought the D50 this year but have not purchased the housing yet.

What I hope is for Ikelite to make a housing that fits the D80 and is backward compatable with the D50

That way I could use the D50 for now and upgrade later.

#58 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:17 PM

HI ALL,

Looking at the images of the D80, I do not think it will fit in to any

of the housings which are availble for the D70/s as some of the controls

are in different positions :lol: :ninja: I wonder if the likes of Nikon Canon have

any interests in the housing manufacturers as in to make us part with more

of our hard earnt cash :glare: :glare: So it looks like if I want to upgrade

it is going to cost me loads n loads :( :( .Well it looks like I will have to

start saving!!!!!!

Andy :blink: :guiness:

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#59 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:35 PM

are there other dSLR's out there that just take SD memory ?

is SD becoming a norm ? or is this a first ?
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#60 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:55 PM

Nikon D50 is SD only
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro