• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:57 AM

Hi all,
As the title suggest this is not for those of a weak disposition. It just goes to show that whilst some of us endeavour to work hard and create products of beauty reflecting life in the Oceans there are those who take that same beauty and turn it into something out of the ordinary. Art is all about keeping an open mind so by viewing the following scenes its up to you to decide the artistic influence and direction of thinking in the production process.

These disturbing images are in mp4 format and is 23.4MB in size.

Watch at your own risk.
:lol:

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#2 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:11 AM

Awesome editing work! I felt like I was watching sports center on steriods! It certainly is an alternative way to present the ocean...more what I would expect to see from a big game fishing tournament or X games. Not my typical way of presenting the creature of the sea...but regardless, nice work.

Did you compile the entire final movie in motion or build a lot of mini sequences in motion and upload them into final cut?

great job.

shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#3 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:25 AM

Yes it's not bad Mark..well done....how long did that take you to make.

Poor Mike...not being able to download it and watch all those girls in it :lol:
Whats that MIKE you hit 2kbps today.... :lol:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#4 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:18 PM

So you lived through it then ??

Shawn, the opening sequence is a Motion template, just upload images to the template and all the rest is done, edit the titles and you're good to go. I have a lot of my stock in the computer hard drive so I can take individual clips and work with them in all the different programs that work seemlessly with FCP, ie Motion, Shake and LiveType. Most of the elements such as the flashing streaks and all the lightning elements are taken from Motion, rendered on a clear background and then just imported as a screen layer. Working with layers you can then obviously decide if the lightning or other elements pass in front of or behind an object. I actually screwed up. The only Shake element (now thats a difficult software) is a squid which I masked out and wanted to flot over the entire screen. For some reason it inverted but still gave a nice effect. I may see if I can tweak that.

Wagsy, from start to finish it took about 4 days working not completely focused on that one project. I have a lot going on here so it took longer than expected. BUT its something I have been tumbling around for a while. The fusion of fast electronic music to underwater imagery, Technocean, could be a new market for the video jockeys out there !!!

Cheers,
Mark.
:lol:

#5 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:48 PM

I love it, Mark. I wish more people stepped outside the traditional boundaries of underwater imagery!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#6 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6193 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:48 PM

1.79 kb/s actually....

Mark can just send me a DVD :lol:

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#7 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

Wahhhhhh, Kudos from The King !!! Thanks Eric.
My opinion is that way back in 'the day', by that I mean when I was a spotty, runny nosed little git, I would, along with many others, sit transfixed to the TV watching the latest adventures of Jaques et al. Nowadays viewing trends have changed, people have become more accustomed to this kind of editing. MTV, CNN, ESPN etc etc have gotten us used to the flashy 4 frame cuts with all the sparkles and flashes thrown in for good measure.

If underwater imagery is gonna stand the chance of being accepted as a main stream viewing alternative then its also my opinion that is has to be presented in a way that the viewer is accustomed to.

I'm not saying that I'm gonna be releasing clip after clip of stuff like this but I just wanted to see if something like this would be appreciated by the masses. Seems like its working.

Mike, I'll get a DVD to you with the next guests we have coming your way.

Cheers all.
Mark.

#8 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:57 PM

Interesting Topic: I have had several DJ's and musicians enquire about using footage for live events and web streams. I think something like this might be much more compelling for the musicians..choose diff tempos and styles depending on the musician.
new market?
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#9 brycegroark

brycegroark

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:00 PM

Wish I could view it, Mark. Could someone tell an internet idiot how to configure my browser to watch mp4 files? I've gone through all the settings/preferences and can't figure it out. :lol: I'm on a Mac and use Safari for a browser - any other files I seem to have no problems with.

Mahalos
Bryce
Bryce Groark
Living Ocean Productions
http://livingoceanproductions.com
http://brycegroark.com

#10 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:35 PM

Well Shawn,
The whole reason I made this thing is because I had been talking with some video jockeys in London about the potential of it. I then had to look around for a musician with suitable music to edit to, Paul Oakenfold, Paul Van Dyk etc. These guys are 'above' such cold calls from someone the likes of me. Now thats a minefield !!! So I used a track from Smartsound and edited to that. Whilst it may not be perfect and the sound may be a bit too mild for some Techno freaks the base idea is there, it can always be adapted from this. Not too sure if 30 minutes of this kinda stuff playing on a screen in a night club would be good for those who've downed a skinfull of beer though :lol: but it could be incorporated as a part feature in a larger overall display / projection.

If any of the shooters here wanna collaborate with imagery and look for a potential market for this kind of stuff then I'd certainly be in as either an imagery provider, editor or both.

Bryce. This was all made and encoded on a Mac G5. I encoded out using H.264 to iPod specs. If you have QT on your system, I'm sure you do, then you shouldn't really have a problem. I'll see how big a QT file will be and look to upload that.

Cheers,
Mark.

#11 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:43 PM

I have a very embarising question. How do I play it? I've tryed Windows Media Player, WinDVD, PowerDVD, and VirtualDub. None of them know what to do with it.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#12 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

Try installing some more splitters and codecs. Here's a starting point:

For mpeg-4:
http://www.inmatrix....rmats/mp4.shtml

FFDshow, codec for everything:
http://sourceforge.n...rojects/ffdshow

Windows Media Player and other players should play Mark's video after you install those.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#13 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:15 PM

There is VLC player as well.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Cannot remember what program installed the correct codec but Eric is right, even WMP will play it once you have the correct codec installed.

Mark I just watched it again...it looks realy good....now searching for a PC program that will kind of do the same thing, as if you had to edit a piece like that from stratch it would take you weeks. There is After Effects but it would take forever to edit up stuff like that.

There is a PC program called Info Channel Designer, abit strange to use at first but does allow easy fancy effects with text and graphics. You build the piece in the program and then export it and into you NLE. Still not as easy as dropping into some template thingy...So what...do I have to buy a MAC now :lol:
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#14 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:30 PM

Wagsy,
I don't think its a matter of what system you have at the end of the day. If you can edit regular HDV then you're set. It all comes down to the effect handling and capability of the editing software you use and the complexity of any plug ins you may have.

The only difficult part really is the starter menu if you didn't have something pre made like the templates in Motion.

Start to finish I was editing maybe 3 hours per finished minute, so you're looking at around 13,5 hours. Thats with all the stock already in the computer.

Mark.

#15 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

How about doing this for real???

Any of you out there know a band that produces this genre of music?? New band, give them an idea for a product, less of a fight against the mainstream.

Five imagery providers for content. I'll get up to speed on Motion and work on a much better quality product, maybe less crowded with better image and element blending. Five imagery providers so as not to water down any potential royalties at the end.

10 good lively tracks to create Technocean Vol.1

It would probably take around 6 months to complete depending on my workload. I'll soon have a sales outlet online thats in the process of completion, advertising and sales via web sites of all collaborators etc. I would suck up any expenses to produce the product (time vested in editing and product design).

Who wants to be a team member of "The Famous Five"

First come first serve, I'll need demos from potential providers to ensure image quality and continuity for the product.

Pipe dream or reality?? Never know 'til you try.

Mark.

#16 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

I installed both of those, still a no go. Ohh well I guess It's not meant to happen tonght, maby I'll mess around with some other codecs tommorow.

I wonder, could the problem be because I refuse to install quicktime and realplayer?

Try installing some more splitters and codecs.  Here's a starting point:

For mpeg-4:
http://www.inmatrix....rmats/mp4.shtml

FFDshow, codec for everything:
http://sourceforge.n...rojects/ffdshow

Windows Media Player and other players should play Mark's video after you install those.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#17 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

It's possible that a lack of quicktime is the problem, but that's probably not the problem. If you have the right codec installed, it should work, assuming the player recognizes the format.

I use zoomplayer pro for all of my playing needs. It plays everything. :lol:
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#18 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:20 PM

Like I said, I cannot remember what I installed that loaded up the codes. Got sofware and encoders all over the place :lol:

So Eric now we have another one :lol: ...Zoomplayer.....Have not tried that one yet.

Try MPEG Streamclip,

#19 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

For those of you who prefer QuickTime files here is the updated version. It also contains the tweaked Squid from Motion which in the previous version was a screen overlay, now it ghosts across the screen keyed out and looking funky.

The file weighs in at 32.3MB and can be downloaded here.

Cheers,
Mark.

#20 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:59 PM

Mark that clip was way cool :lol: ...I recond I would like to give it a bash...I'll look at some 3D effects software that does that same like motion on me PC with Prem Pro.