• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:11 PM

Cheers Wagsy,
Look forward to the "Ozzie Rules" mix !! The Squid was done in Shake not Motion, my slip.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#22 brycegroark

brycegroark

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:16 AM

Hey Mark - awesome stuff, man. Really like the idea.

Bryce
Bryce Groark
Living Ocean Productions
http://livingoceanproductions.com
http://brycegroark.com

#23 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:14 AM

Hey Bryce,
Thanks mate. Appreciate the words.

Cheers,
Mark.

#24 skawdiver

skawdiver

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:28 PM

Mark,

Absolutely wonderfull !

The amount of creativity put into this clip is obvius.

I salute your effort to "do something" with you footage. ( se my post: http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=14742 )

I truly like the effect with the small shark clip blinking white in sync with the drums.

For me, it is now clear, that I need to work on upgrading my skills editing, but that will have to wait to the winter - loooong dark winter nights with the computer :guiness:
Hans Christian Andersen - www.skawdiver.com • Underwater film production in Scandinavia
Sony PD-170 + Amphibico Housing + Amphibico monitor + Kowalski 1250D Speed lights
Sony TRV 310E + Ikelite Housing + Kowalski 1250D Speed lights + Ultralights arms system

#25 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:00 AM

Hi skawdiver,
Thanks for the words, as with all other positive messages I thank you for your comments. I really can't believe the reception I got from this. I'd been tumbling it around in my head for such a long time, it lay dormant as a project for almost a year.

I don't profess to being an editor of any great stature, just look at the number of postings I've made in that regard. I prefer to shoot and simply arrange the stock.

BUT I have just got another G5 to add to my new toys and it has been loaded with some pretty nice software packages so I basically took the advantage of the slow season here in Palau mixed with the desire to see what could be done with this idea. I haven't even used 1% of the capacities of the softwares I have which basically translates as a very positive point for me to try and improve on this first effort.

As an off shoot of the posting of this clip, I don't know how they got a hold of it, but I have now been approached to provide four volumes, 30 clips per volume, of Motion Graphics to a large concern in the U.S. To say the least I'm chuffed to bits with that and can only imagine what the possibilities will be when the artistic juices get flowing once I have a better grip of the softwares I'm using.

Watch this space.

Thanks, mark.

#26 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:37 AM

Hey Mark , thats great to hear.
I'm in Perth now, flew down this arvo and I'm on the Big G5 with the huge screen... :guiness: but were is me left and right clicker on the mouse :blink:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#27 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:17 AM

Mark,

Certainly is busy little piece.

Keep it going.

#28 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:02 AM

OK, finally back home with a decent internet connection so I could check out the clip. I love it! Don't think it's disturbing at all, and in fact it hit quite good groove with the soundtrack and had a great feel to it as it moved. Must have taken *forever* to render??

Someone who has also explored this kind of compositing with underwater material is Leandro Blanco, and you can check out his "Dalirium" at Ocean.com. He tends to take his surreal compositing into the realm of expressing ideas with something of a message, as he did with Dalirium.

Mark, I think the film is wonderful and I absolutely love seeing creative work with underwater images like this. Keep up the great inspiration!

Mary Lynn

#29 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:09 PM

The response to this is AMAZING, Thanks one and all.

Well I do have some great news to share. Since thinking about the idea for a shark protection piece I've been out looking for potential music. As part of my weird musical taste, Technocean is really tame, I have now started discussions with a British group who's songs are pretty much heralded throughout the club scene as THE Anthems to be played.

If any of you have Limewire or a shareware music download programme (sorry I'm a Brit) then do a search for Clear Blue Water by Oceanlab.........it was the name that turned me on to them in the first place.

I'm currently talking with their management and its looking good. Three of the band are divers and have actually dived Palau, although not with me.....

So tis thing may be taking off. If any of you want to be involved then please look at my posting regarding the Shark Protection Project posted on this same forum.

Never thought I'd be getting into the music business !!!

Mark. :guiness:

#30 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:01 PM

PS - Mary Lynn
If I had entitled the post, crazy arsed music video, I don't think it would have sparked half the interest it has received thus far. Pulling at that human trait that we all have with things bad and disturbing allowed the post title to draw people in and view the clip.

Cunning plan !!

Mark.
P.S Did you get the recently sent DVD? Should be with you soon.

#31 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:11 PM

Hey thats way cool again Mark...have you got ya new gear yet?
You have me hooked.

I'm off to Melbourne next week for a film job and will go and check out some editing programs while I am there to see what options on the PC are available. Maybe get a dedicated card like matrox make or something to give me more realtime power in HDV mode with heaps of effects.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#32 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:52 PM

Still waiting for the new gear to come in but I have the tracking numbers so no worries. Go get yourself kitted out mate and let the creativity flow. Best of luck with it.

Its gonna be a wild ride.

Mark.

#33 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1388 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

Great stuff Mark!

Wetpixel is great for getting the creative juices flowing but that just blew me away!

Cheers, Simon

#34 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:40 PM

WOOOOOOOWWWWWW!

That is VERY COOL!

Like Underwater Mission Impossible...

I would love to have a longer version to play in my office...

Let me know if you are selling the DVD!!

M.
Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com
D2X and D80 / Nexus / Ikelite / Inon / Heinrichs iTTL controller

#35 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:16 PM

Hi Guys,
I'm working on some new effects and creating my own motion backgrounds at the moment for the planned part two Apex Pulse project. Learning deeper and deeper into the Shake software and Motion, very complex compositing programs a which allow for some great screen creations.

I'd love to think I could eventually come up with about 10 tracks to make a playable DVD version but using royalty free music just wouldn't give it the right feel. I'm working on that. Potentially we have a great band allowing us use of one of their tracks for Apex Pulse.

I'll keep people posted as to my progress. This first clip was a demo to find some kind of response. Now I know there is some interest I may look to do some more. IMHO this demo was pretty flat, not a lot of dimension, so I'm looking to improve on this.

Cheers,
Mark.

#36 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 12:57 AM

Hey Mark,

I expect there are a lot of people on this forum with friends, or know people who know people that are in bands or who are 'bedroom artists' that might be able to help and would get a kick out off hearing their composistions on a excellently crafted (arse kissing now :) ) film..

When I finally get to download your piece I'll have a good think about it as I know plenty of musicians..

Another thing, have I ever sent you my Maltese wreck film..??? If not I'll pop one in the post. Would you prefere PAL or NTSC....

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#37 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:42 AM

Hey Dean,
I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who's friends, aunt's brother's nephew's niece knows a guy who's brother's friend' sister's boyfriend happens to be an extremely talented artist. The problem comes from having the desire to link the people together. There was a storm of response to the initial posting of this which has since died down. I'm happy to say that there are four people and a band looking to put this together for the Apex Pulse project. Those people, all members of this forum, have decided that they wanna be a part of something which coul lead to other things. From acorns commeth the tree.

I guess seeing as it is a non commercial deal the effort expenditure doesn't warrant the return in the minds of the general public. BUT some people do want to be a part of it. I welcome that. There are those who dream and those who do. I am a do'er and I'm real happy to have met some kindred spirits here who are also of that mind.

Watch this space matey, we'll get it nailed one way or another. IF it does go ahead then I may unwittingly drag you in as I may need something done in London. I'll let you know.

Re: the Maltese Job, no I never got a copy. Either variation would be suitable, PAL I guess is OK:

Mark Thorpe,
PO Box 142,
Koror,
Republic of Palau.

Cheers mate.
Mark.