• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:02 AM

Hey Guys,
The Z arrived this afternoon, along with the Gates order too.....been unpacking like a kid a christmas !! One thing I can say is that the Fathoms 120 is an INSANE piece of glass ....... :guiness:

Now its all down to pre dive tests, checking all screws etc etc etc, you guys know the drill. I'll be posting a report on the housing once I'm more familiar with it. Its a serious hunk o' black stuff sitting next to 'puter at the mo .......... is that growling I can hear from the beastie?

Watch this space.
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:22 AM

Yeh Mark...congrats :guiness: ...yes the 120 degree kind of takes over the housing....don't scratch it now :lol:

I got the Evo Pro today as well for the little Sony A1 so I have plastic everywhere to :blink:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6166 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:44 AM

I got another 24 hours of downloads and some mantas today...

Mark, congrats...

what happened to your net? worse than bloody Yap man!

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#4 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:52 AM

Yeah Wagsy,
Taking over the housing is exactly what this glass does, still can't get over the sheer SIZE of the beastie.

Mike, for some reason MSN keeps giving me an error message that my password is wrong, then the address is wrong for the password yada yada yada......wanted to go thru some other points re: you know what. Should, fingers crossed, be up an running again tomorrah so I'll try then.

We got some people heading your way next week so I'll send a copy of the short with them. Good matas today, makes me wanna come and throw the glass around in September. How many they got coming now. Will there be space for me and the missus?

Mark.
:guiness: :blink: :lol:

#5 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:31 AM

Mark,
What is the weight of the 'beast' with all things attached (lens, lights, etc)?
shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#6 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:40 PM

Hi Shawn,
I haven't done anything with the equipment other than configure it as best I can thus far. Still taking stock etc. I will appraise the complete rig sometime over the coming weeks and make a full report here on Wetpixel.

Cheers,
Mark.

#7 videodan

videodan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:13 PM

Congratulations Mark, and welcome to the world of HDV, I know you've been looking at doing this for quite a while. Now I'm dying to see some of those Mandarin Fish in 1080i. Enjoy.
Dan
Daniel Deck
Light & Motion Bluefin HD, Sony FX1, L&M HID's
Previous: AquaVideo FX1, L&M Bluefin Pro V900

#8 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

Thanks videodan,
Believe me, seven months shaking a VX1k at Mandarinfish for a 15 minute film doesn't instill me to wanna get back out there with the new gear and do it all again, I don't have that much hair left as it is !!!

Looking forward to getting the system ready for filming and as such I have already began noting potentially helpful hints for those thinking of buying this unit and accessories. I'll be posting my findings in a full housing appraisal in the close future.

Best,
Mark.

#9 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:49 PM

Come to think of it, I don't know what my FX1, Phenom, battery pack and dual HIDs weigh complete...I know it is a lot, because I saw the dive guides at Atlantis in the Philippines having a hard time carrying it back and forth for me to the dive boats....

:blink:
Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#10 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1923 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:16 PM

Congratulations on the new housing Mark. The Gates should be a safe choice, especially in a remote location like yours. My VX2K Gates just goes on and on, although the corrosion around the latches is gradually worsening.

I'm really interested to know if you'll be using lights with it, if you'll be adding buoyancy to it, which monitor if any you're using, and whether you got the handles that come from the top or bottom of the housing.

#11 globaldiver

globaldiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, UW-videography, Photography

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

Congrats Mark,

I know you will enjoy this setup. I am looking forward to reading your review.

Best

Anders
Sony HVR-Z1U, Light & Motion Bluefin HD, L&M Bluefin HD wide angle lens/wide angle flip macro lens, Halcyon Apollo Dual 50W HID/13.5A, ULCS light arms,
Canon EOS 350D

#12 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:14 AM

Thanks all,
I will need to dive this unit for about a month before I feel comfortable enough to sit down and write a full appraisal, so please bare that in mind if you don't see the report out next week.

To answer the few questions from Nick. I have the adjustable handles that slide along the guide grooves on the top of the unit. I also have a 4" external monitor and seeing as I have the fathoms 120 lens I aso have two additional buoyancy tubes which again slide through guide grooves along the top of the housing.

The report will be on the functionality of the Z1 housing from Gates. I don't really want to go off on a tangent and start discussing lights. That said I will be reviewing the handling requirements and considerations pertaining to the operation of the unit when lights come into the equation.

Hope this helps.

Mark.