Photo
- - - - -

California establishes Marine Reserves!!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Barrett Heywood

Barrett Heywood

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:38 PM

Date: 8/16/06
Subject: California establishes marine reserves!

After 7 years of study and negotiation, the California Department of Fish and Game protects 8% of central coast waters and restricts take from another 10%.

"This is about protecting the most precious places we have underwater, just as we did decades ago on land." said Karen Garrison of the National Defense Resources Defense Council. "What we have underwater is as precious as what we have in Yosemite." read more...
Barrett Heywood, CEO
Light & Motion
www.uwimaging.com
www.bikelights.com

#2 Seriola

Seriola

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Scientific/Research Diving, Marine Ecology, Jellyfish culturing/collecting, Aquarium Science

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:23 PM

Yay! I was surprised to see gripes from both fishermen and environmentalists as this seemed to be a straight up compromise. I just hope it's enough... I personally would have liked to had more "several small" reserves along the central big sur coast in addition to the couple of big ones.
Wyatt Patry
Jellyfish Nut
Oly E330, Oly PT-E02 housing, 14-45 mm, 35 mm, Athena OPD-SZ14-42 Dome Port, Heinrich-Weikamp Bulkhead
http://jellyfishaquarist.com

#3 LChan

LChan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:04 PM

they now allow people to fish at Breakwater on weekdays, and if you are handicapped, 24/7. This is probably where the majority of people in the Bay Area get certified.

I can't wait to get snagged by some fishing hooks@! .....

all in all, it is a good idea that they have established marine reserves. I don't think they could satisfy everybody.
Nikon D200 - Subal housing - 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 17-35mm, 60mm, 105mmVR - Dual Ikelite DS-125 - ULCS arms.
Canon SD550 - Canon housing (pocket videocam)

Larry Chan -- My Webpage

#4 kathymm

kathymm

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:35 AM

They have always allowed people to line fish off the breakwater, and there have been divers snagged by hooks. Beware of the fishing line when you dive there but don't let it stop you.

This is one of the areas that we really tried to get designated a marine reserve. Unfortunately there has been some strong opposition and we lost this area. There were designated some nice reserves along other parts of Cannery Row and Point Lobos reserve was extended.

But I'm not sure they satisfied anybody.

Kathy Mendes
http://www.divermaiden.com
Nikon D300 with 60 mm & 16 mm lens, SEA&SEA Housing, Sea&Sea YS110 Strobes

#5 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2290 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:39 PM

Is there a place to get maps showing all the reserve boundaries? Do any of these new reserves prohibit diving? With a camera that is.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#6 kathymm

kathymm

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:42 AM

Here is a url to the latest uploaded maps (dated June 22, 2006). http://www.dfg.ca.go.../preferred.html

I don't think they will prohibit diving except of course you can't enter Hopkins from the shore at Hopkins Marine Station. You can swim in from a boat. And Point Lobos requires reservations.

Kathy

#7 Barrett Heywood

Barrett Heywood

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:56 AM

None of the reserves prohibit scientific collecting with a permit or diving. They are considering renaming Hopkins Reserve as Lovers Point Reserve since there is now a reserve from Hopkins all the way down to Lovers. -Barrett
Barrett Heywood, CEO
Light & Motion
www.uwimaging.com
www.bikelights.com

#8 drsteve

drsteve

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:18 PM

After 7 years of study and negotiation, the California Department of Fish and Game protects 8% of central coast waters and restricts take from another 10%.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From articles in the local rags, I was of the understanding that this was a draft proposal which still has to undergo public comment. I am pretty sure is a long way from being a done deal.

...STeve
www.flickr.com/photos/drsteve/
Canon EOS 5D3, Aquatica Housing, Inon Z220+Z240 strobes, Sea&Sea TTL, ULCS Arms

#9 ulcs

ulcs

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:28 PM

This has been going on for a very long time and I am sure this is the way it will be, no more public comment on this part of it. Maybe additions in the future.
Terry

#10 kathymm

kathymm

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:29 AM

This has been going on for a very long time and I am sure this is the way it will be, no more public comment on this part of it.  Maybe additions in the future.
Terry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Randy and I have been going to public comment meetings on this for approximately four years. Terry is right, the boundaries are set.

Kathy

#11 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:10 PM

How does this affect the Channel Islands? I saw a map, but couldn't figure out if the no take rules, etc. are going to be extended and by how much.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#12 Seriola

Seriola

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Scientific/Research Diving, Marine Ecology, Jellyfish culturing/collecting, Aquarium Science

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:57 PM

How does this affect the Channel Islands? I saw a map, but couldn't figure out if the no take rules, etc. are going to be extended and by how much.

Jack

Jack, I think this only applied to the central coast for now. Word was recently their next focus would be So Cal, but then I heard that they still hadn't decided.

Barrett... are you sure scientific collecting is allowed inside the mpa's? That's super cool if it is. I wasn't at the meetings up there and was worried that might get overlooked. Collecting accounts for so little of any take and we really need the ability to select any site for study or collection/education purposes. Heh, just think... setting up MPAs and then not allowing scientists to study them... I think it's been done before!

-wyatt
Wyatt Patry
Jellyfish Nut
Oly E330, Oly PT-E02 housing, 14-45 mm, 35 mm, Athena OPD-SZ14-42 Dome Port, Heinrich-Weikamp Bulkhead
http://jellyfishaquarist.com