New DiveFilm Podcast on Dolphin Defender

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:19 PM

The latest DiveFilm Podcast Video, Episode 27 - Defending Dolphins, is now up and available for download at iTunes. Please be forewarned that this particular episode is rather graphic, and is about the efforts of filmmaker Hardy Jones and the group he co-founded with actor Ted Danson, BlueVoice.org, using video to try to stop the notorious dolphin drives in Japan.

I wanted to present this podcast for many reasons, one of which is that this is a powerful example of applying one's art, sharing images as a way to hopefully change how we interact with marine life. Hardy Jones is a well-known filmmaker who is using his imaging to try and prevent the capture and killing of dolphins. He has just started a video podcast that is available at iTunes. It is his intention to travel to Japan again this October to film to the planned dolphin drive and podcast his reports from there in the hope that getting the images out all over the world via the internet will bring pressure to end the dolphin drives for good.

Also very interested in what you all, Wetpixel viewers, think about having an occasional DiveFilm Video Podcast (say, one out of every three or four episodes?) that is more or less explicitly conservation-oriented. Is it too much, is it too little? Your feedback on this would be most appreciated!

Mary Lynn

#2 webman

webman

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:11 AM

Thank you for contributing this revealing film. Up until now I wasn't aware about the drives. Hardy Jones singleness of purpose is impressive and a reminder to us all how one person can make a difference.

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:35 PM

This stuff, like a lot of its kind, can be difficult for lovers of the oceans to watch but it is very necessary. Beautiful shots with an important message. Just wish non divers could see this as well. It is they who need to see it most, especially the Japanese who, because of their cultural history and biases, prefer to remain oblivious to the harm they are causing not just to the dophin but to the shark, whale and entire marine population.
I encourage all to watch this most important video.
To answer your questions Mary Lynn, I would like to see a greater diversity of films....not all interviews.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 02:21 AM

Hi Mary

Personally I'd be more than happy to see 100% conservation minded podcasts, but I understand why there would be a need for perhaps some 'fun' ones thrown in too - 'all work & no play makes Jack a dull boy' kind of thing.

The latest dolphin podcast was a great download. I've seen horrific photos in the past of the massacre on the Sea Shepherd website (www.seashepherd.org) and it's a truly barbaric 'event'. There is a worldwide protest being organised on Sep 20th. Details can be found at http://www.earthisla...lphinDay06.html if anyone is interested in participating.

Cheers, Simon