Photo
- - - - -

Sardine Run Video 06 (link and embedded video)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:49 AM

To auspiciously herald the restart of the hopefully hackfree forum, I thought I'd post a little video from this year's first 2 weeks of activity.
It's 8.8mb and you will need quicktime 7.

Sardinops Sagax Runneth Vid

As you cannot tell, many of the baitballs were etrumeus teres (aka redeye round herring or "redeyes" as the locals like to call them) and a few of the scenes were sardinops sagax mixed in. You can see that the behavior of the redeye are similar to the sardinops except they tend not to as tight or gather in large numbers.
In fact the last 7 years , I've seen redeye, anchovy and even mackerel baitballs along the coast of South Africa. Obviously the reason for the name "sardine run" is due to the fact that the sardines invariably move up the east coast of south africa annually. And many predators have timed their young to be weaned on the sardines. However, off the continental shelf, the research ship has routinely scooped redeye, anchovy and mackerel as well as sardines. For this reason, it should be called the Great Saoud Ahfreekah Baitball Run... but that doesn't slip off the tongue as easily as sardine. Anyhow, welcome back to Wetpixel and enjoy the short vid.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:20 AM

Yo Scubadrew, this is one dive I haven't done and I am sooooo jealous. Loved the music, nice job on the editing. I am surprised though, I always thought that there'd be tons of sharks participating in the feed.

Glad wetpixel is up and running.-Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:26 AM

Good stuff Drew ... I am amazed that you managed to reduce all your video down to that short clip .. years of practice at being picky huh !

I was waiting for this so I could pass it round some of my freinds who just didnt get how cool this experience can be .. video really only does it justice for the whole deal.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#4 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:44 AM

I like the end bit... By Drew Wong...then All Rights....are you right or Wong.... :blink:

Those birds are amazing and how lucky to get a Whale breach like that from before it broke the surface.
Did you just roll and roll to catch it. I know the new Big Sony camera's have a 15 second buffer kind of thing so that as long as the camera is on and pointing in the direction, if the action happens and you then press record you still get the shot cause the camera has it in it's 15 second buffer before you hit the record button. Great for waiting animal action.

Good work... :)
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

Good stuff Drew ... I am amazed that you managed to reduce all your video down to that short clip .. years of practice at being picky huh !
I was waiting for this so I could pass it round some of my freinds who just didnt get how cool this experience can be .. video really only does it justice for the whole deal.

Well, we only had about 6 baitballs in the first 2 weeks. So it was kinda slim pickings. The one you were in is in the 3rd tape. The first was kinda destroyed by saltwater. That had the best u/w whale, shark and dolphin stuff. :blink: This stuff is all from the 2nd tape.

I like the end bit... By Drew Wong...then All Rights....are you right or Wong.... :) Those birds are amazing and how lucky to get a Whale breach like that from before it broke the surface.
Did you just roll and roll to catch it. I know the new Big Sony camera's have a 15 second buffer kind of thing so that as long as the camera is on and pointing in the direction, if the action happens and you then press record you still get the shot cause the camera has it in it's 15 second buffer before you hit the record button. Great for waiting animal action.

Oh that was so funny and original I never heard that joke before. Media is cheap, you find an active whale and just start rolling and anticipate where it will pop. Takes a few years of watching their positions in relation to their last breath etc. then you take a big guess. :blink:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 fairybasslet

fairybasslet

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:15 PM

As usual, superb Drew. I'm glad to know there's someone around who procrastinates as much as I do. :blink: One day, I'll be one of those pesky still photogs on the run :)

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:03 PM

Hey, I just don't feel like going through 4 tapes... It's just for people to get the feel of the run. The full edit is a private inhouse screening only. :)

Drew

#8 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:11 PM

good stuff drew.... even i downloaded it!!! hahahahaha that means a lot you know... :)

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:22 PM

but I just put it up 3 days ago... you only took that long? :)

Drew

#10 fairybasslet

fairybasslet

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:37 AM

Hey, I just don't feel like going through 4 tapes... It's just for people to get the feel of the run. The full edit is a private inhouse screening only. :(

Do you serve popcorn? :)

#11 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:28 PM

Sensational as usual Drew!! It's actually amazing how different it looks each year. Fascinating to see those other species schooling too.

Still can't believe you nailed those humpbanks. Bloody perfect! :)

W E L L D O N E !! !!
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#12 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:40 PM

Crikey!

You're just determined to make us all spend ~6k/yr, aren't you.

Excellent stuff, thanks for sharing.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#13 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:35 PM

Yeah a pretty unusual thing to get the bonito in the shot. Wish I saw it coming but those guys zoom in and out like missiles.
I admit that the whales were manipulated to breach. We sent Giles and Eric underwater with a poker to send them up at a precise place and time. :(

Speaking of padrino Cheng, he's been working hard at allowing us to embed not only google, youtube but also WMV and QT files. So without much ado:

Sensational as usual Drew!! It's actually amazing how different it looks each year. Fascinating to see those other species schooling too.

Still can't believe you nailed those humpbanks. Bloody perfect! :)

W E L L D O N E !! !!

Crikey!
You're just determined to make us all spend ~6k/yr, aren't you.

Excellent stuff, thanks for sharing.

Dude, stop with the C word. As much as I liked Steve, I feel like most ozzies did before his death... hair standing cringe when he does that C word thing.

Drew

#14 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

Such amazing stuff Drew, I can see why you are addicted. And yes, that whale breach from a flat surface is UNbelievable - like knowing a sub has just released a Polaris with your cam fixed on the designated spot!

Looking forward to my first fix next June.

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#15 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:38 PM

Sorry Nick, Justin for his b'day present asked that you not be present on the boat but your new housing is allowed in your stead. :)

Btw, I'm not addicted... really I'm not addicted... I'm not... really I'm not.....

Drew

#16 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

Dude, stop with the C word. As much as I liked Steve, I feel like most ozzies did before his death... hair standing cringe when he does that C word thing.

I never understood why some Australians were bothered by him, or by the C word (which I use in day to day conversation all the time, and have done since well before Crocodile Hunter first started to screen over here).

Would you prefer strewth, I feel that is quite appropriate to your footage as well. :)
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#17 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:38 PM

I think I had this conversation with some Ozzies in Sydney back in 2000. They were saying americanism had taken hold of australia and the world after our waitron(you've haven't gone there yet!) said "are you guys done?" I think why some ozzies have a problem with the Hogans and Irwins is that of socio-economic status language. Crikey, sheilas and even strewth are common colloquialisms that they don't want to be associated to and don't want him representing ozzies as crikeymites... so yes those ozzies are just bloody snobs.
My peeve is how he said it... CRIIII KEEE. Cringe!!

Drew

#18 fairybasslet

fairybasslet

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:06 AM

They poked the whales? My heart is breaking. :rolleyes:

#19 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:29 AM

Drew.. stop using the word Dude...you sound way too Californian and i cringe.... eh... :unsure:

Fairybasslet, don't worry about Giles and poking of whales... he is a trained professional in that arena... :rolleyes:

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#20 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:50 AM

But I do the NY dude... not duuuude, but dude.

And don't make fun of pretty boy's poking... even whales have taste.

Ellen, I guarantee no animals were mistreated in the making of that video.

Drew