• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:53 AM

We were off-line when the camera was announced, but we can still discuss it. So, who has any thoughs on canon's newest body.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#2 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:00 AM

I think it is a 30D killer :)

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#3 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:25 AM

I will likely be buying two to replace my Rebel XT units.....

I agree with Rocha, as the same AF, bigger screen, etc. of the 30D is more than enough capability for me.

The smaller body of my XT units have been something I LOVE for traveling.....But I know some people don't like it.

YMMV

dhaas
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#4 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:21 PM

Does anyone know yet if the 400D will fit in an Ike 350D housing? Based on the spec and an image overlay I did it looks as though it will.

Attached Images

• Canon_350D_400D_Overlay_500.jpg

Damien Siviero
Canon 5DmkIII + 7D. Aquatica Housing. Ikelite + Inon Strobes. Canon + Tokina Glass.
http://damiensiviero.com

#5 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1213 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:16 PM

Biggest question is; how does it compare with the Nikon D80? Yes, the D80 is more expensive and will be harder to find, but I think it has advantages...?

BTW, I saw it advertised for $800 pre-order at JR.com (they're fairly reputable).

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#6 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:08 AM

Amigos,

I held and played with one last night at Best Buy here near Akron, OH. Another buddy went and BOUGHT one a bit closer to Cleveland last night! He's selling his Canon 20D and he's a big guy with big hands. Best Buy stores only sell it with the "kit" lens for $899.00 here. My local camera store should be getting theirs early next week and will sell them with or without the kit lens.

The new rubber grip and rear thumb rest make it more comfortable, plus the big bright screen, quick change items which now DON'T require you to hit the SET button like ISO, AF and metering mode plus having the same 9 point AF as the 20D / 30D are definite improvements.

I'm sure the spec measurbators will be analyzing specs comparing this to the new D80 which I'm sure will be a nice camera, too. But to pay $200.00 more for ???????

The buttons being moved over for the big screen, plus the grip dimension changes means Ikelite will definitely have to make a new housing. But I'll bet they are first to market with a housing for this new Canon plus the Nikon D80 whenever it hits stores.

Last night my Canon and Nikon buddies and I were out for a "Boy's Night" having a burger and a beer. We were debating how can Nikon announce their new camera first, then Canon ship theirs earlier (?????)

YMMV

dhaas

Attached Images

• DaveyUWCaymanBrac2004.jpg

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#7 waja

waja

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:22 PM

I was just reading the preview on DPReview and was wondering about the proximity sensor below viewfinder eyepiece to disable the LCD during composition. Will a housing cause this camera to totally disable the LCD? I didn't see anything about overriding the sensor.
Rick

Canon EOS 5D Mk II; Canon 14mm II; Canon 50mm f/1.4; Canon 100mm macro; Canon 24-105mm
Aquatica 5D Mk II housing
Aquatica AquaView Viewfinder
Dual Sea&Sea YS-250Pro
ULCS Arms
http://www.ricklevesque.com

#8 Notorious

Notorious

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:52 PM

So does anyone have a wager on the 400D fitting in a 350D housing????
:)
Canon 350D:Sigma 10-20mm:Magic filter:Sea&sea housing:Athena dome:
BlueNude

#9 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:14 PM

Rick,

The Display button can manually turn on and off the LCD display. Plus a custom function choice allows the display to be on all the time unles you raise it to your eye, etc.

As far as a "drop in" to the existing Ikelite 350D housing? I'd bet no.......Especially the left side buttons which are further out for the larger LCD screen. Plus they moved the sequence of them, too.

Jack, Canon Rebel XTi and the D80 will be more capability than 99.999% (including me) photographers will need. Some will choose the bigger body and 10.5mm lens availability of Nikon. Canon aficiandos for the Canon built low noise CMOS sensor, SMALL physical size and lower price :)

Exciting choices.......

dhaas
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#10 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1213 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:18 PM

Jack, Canon Rebel XTi and the D80 will be more capability than 99.999% (including me) photographers will need. Some will choose the bigger body and 10.5mm lens availability of Nikon. Canon aficiandos for the Canon built low noise CMOS sensor, SMALL physical size and lower price :rolleyes:

Exciting choices.......

dhaas

Yes, these are big improvements on both mid-range cameras and are tweaking me towards getting into a DSLR.

However in reading the new dpReview Preview of the 400xTi, one big difference for me is the much bigger D80 viewfinder. I'm blind as a bat and need all the help I can get.

$200 isn't much price difference really.

Jack

Edited by JackConnick, 05 September 2006 - 10:19 PM.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

#11 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:29 AM

Jack,

True on the viewfinder, but my opinion is none a "resonable priced" dSLR is that great underwater behind a housing magnifier. Unless maybe you're looking at the $1,000K VIEWFINDERS from the likes of SEACAM, SUBAL, etc.

I always suggest using the lowest volume mask and simply learning to live with it. Many friends have recently been using Atomic's newest single and dual window masks and love it with their dSLR housings.

I dive an "old" style Sherwood Magnum II with Rx lenses (even small bi-focals in the bottom) and find that the last 6 months I'm framing better and better with the Rebel XT finder and Ikelite housing. Not sure why or how, I just know I'm cropping less and less these days during post processing.

As far as the $200.00 price difference, you're right. It ain't much in the total scheme when purchasing a housing, ports, cords, etc. I think most will buy on "what feels right" anyway.....

YMMV

dhaas
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#12 vannar

vannar

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:48 AM

Does anyone have similar comparision picturs of the 350 and the 400 from the side (thickness) and the front (lens position)?

I do not know how much the tolerance in my sea&sea housing is but my first impreesion is that it could be possible to convert the housing to fit the 400.

From the picture of the backside it really only seems to be the buttons on the left side of the lcd that is moved out a bit. It shold be possibe to rebuild the pins that push the buttons so that they hit the buttons at their new position...

By the way, does anyone know if the shutter is the same one as the 350 has (only guarateed to work for 10 000 exposures(compared to 100 000 for the 30d) )

#13 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:30 AM

Jonas,

You can go to www.dpreview.com and scroll over the physical differences between the 350D and 400D.

Shutter life on these cameras that people worry about is a myth. My two Rebel XT bodies were each clicked 10,000 times in the last 14 months. I know many original Digital Rebel users (the 300D) which have upwards of 50,000 clicks with no problems.

Buy it, shoot pics, don't worry about it....

dhaas
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#14 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:39 AM

Shutter life on these cameras that people worry about is a myth. My two Rebel XT bodies were each clicked 10,000 times in the last 14 months. I know many original Digital Rebel users (the 300D) which have upwards of 50,000 clicks with no problems.

Buy it, shoot pics, don't worry about it....

dhaas

It is not completely a myth. My first Rebel (300D) made it to 20K before it died (it died of diving related illness not shutter problems) but my second one needed shutter replacement at around 12K clicks. The repair was quick, it was back in 8 days, so that part was relatively painless. But it was out of warentee so it cost $250 for the shutter repair.

I have not heard nearly as many (if any) shutter problems from rebel XT (350D) shutters though. Also, the 30D costs more than $250 more than the rebel so even if you do have to replace the shutter once you still come out ahead. So I agree that it is not really something to worry about.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#15 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:08 PM

I cruised down to the camera shop today with my Ikelite 350D housing and attempted to jam the 400D in it. As some have already suggested, the 400D did not fit.

I wasn't even able to get to screw the plate bolt into the camera. I think the primary reason for this was because there are difference in the back of the camera, namely where the plate pins are that line up the camera. Other than that the left function buttons don't have a chance of connecting with the push buttons.

regards, damien
Damien Siviero
Canon 5DmkIII + 7D. Aquatica Housing. Ikelite + Inon Strobes. Canon + Tokina Glass.
http://damiensiviero.com

#16 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1213 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:22 PM

Jack, Canon Rebel XTi and the D80 will be more capability than 99.999% (including me) photographers will need. Some will choose the bigger body and 10.5mm lens availability of Nikon. Canon aficiandos for the Canon built low noise CMOS sensor, SMALL physical size and lower price :rolleyes:

Exciting choices.......

dhaas

OK, call me a believer. I went down to a store today and played with a D80 and the older 350 Rebel. The D80 was too big for my hand and heavier, enough so that I didn't like it.

The Nikon has the edge a bit as far as lens choices. But new ones come out all the time.

And $200 goes towards a new lens a ways...

So here's my dilemma/plan;

I need a new above-water camera now, I do some photos for websites and so forth. Cost is an issue to begin with, not so much 6 months from now. Really need a general purpose lens/lenses like 35mm equiv. 28-200mm. So what do I get? I have no real issue with buying third party lenses that are good.

The guy in the store said the kit $100 lens wasn't really all that bad and also recommended Tamaron, as they have a working relationship with Canon, which could be important down the line in terms of compatibility.

I see that most shooters around seem to prefer Sigma.

What lens recommendations do you have, with the idea that I'd house it after the 1st of the year.

Has anyone seen the black 400 xti and kit lens for less than list at a "decent' store?

Jack

Edited by JackConnick, 08 September 2006 - 07:08 AM.

Jack Connick

#17 vannar

vannar

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:34 AM

Really need a general purpose lens/lenses like 35mm equiv. 28-200mm. So what do I get? I have no real issue with buying third party lenses that are good.

The guy in the store said the kit 4100 lens wasn't really all that bad and also recommended Tamaron, as they have a working relationship with Canon, which could be important down the line in terms of compatibility.

Jack

This tends to go a bit off topic but here goes:

I´d go with the Canon if i would have to choose from scratch again.

Regarrding lens choice: Those suuperzooms are IMO to much of a compromise to be useful at all...
There are good third party lenses out there but I feel that a few "really good" lenses are better that many "good" lenses...

If you are only going to do website stuff, I'd definitly go with the kitlens, its not as good as more expensive alternatives but its practically for free and its is definitely good enough to begin with.

If you need a real wideangle lens, choose the canon 10-22,its is a very good lens, for marco the most straitforward choise is the efs-60mm, it is also very good for portraits and things like that, very sharp.

/J

#18 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:59 AM

Jack,

I agrree with Vannar on the Super Zooms. Too much range equals compromises in quality, unless you're talking abuot something the likes of the Nikon 28-200 they have done a great job with. Fir underwater the fixed focal length Sigma 15mm Fisheye at $500.00 is my most used lens. Other than that, it's all Canon these days....

For my general " walk around lens" I researched and bought the Canon 28-105mm USM f3.5-4.5 II lens. Only about $230.00 and it is very sharp, light and small (only 58mm filter size) with non-rotating front element and almost "L" glass quality. It is a bit short on the wide range (only equal to 45mm) but I wanted more "reach" on the long end anyway.

The standard 18-55mm "kit" lens is really not that bad when shot at medium zoom range and f 5.6 - 11. I have sold photos for brochures shot with it! Plus it is light and small and focuses to 10" meaning in a dome port underwater you don't need a diopter. See photo samples below shot a couple weeks ago with one.

I'm salivating at getting my Rebel XTi. Soon :rolleyes:

YMMV

dhaas

Attached Images

• Bah2006Squid.jpg
  • Bah2006Octopus.jpg

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#19 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:31 AM

I'm sure the spec measurbators will be analyzing specs comparing this to the new D80 which I'm sure will be a nice camera, too. But to pay $200.00 more for ???????

We were debating how can Nikon announce their new camera first, then Canon ship theirs earlier (?????)

There are some reasons, but the greatest advantage of the D80 to me is the much larger viewfinder (the D80 has the same viewfinder of the D200, comparable to the D2x), and to me that is certainly worth $200.

About shipping, take a look at this topic:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=15023

The D80 is already shipping.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#20 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:55 AM

Here in Ohio (and elsewhere in the U.S.) the Canon Rebel XTi was selling at Best Buy stores last Friday, 9/1!!!!

www.dpreview.com had real live people shooting and posting photos the whole weekend. This considering Canon announced their new camera AFTER Nikon announced the D80.

Rocha's point on the viewfinder is something new users will want to try. Plus consider lens choices. Macro is equal, and for me the Sigma 15mm Fisheye (or Canon 15mm and Nikon 16mm) make wide shooting a draw no matter which brand you go with.

As previously stated, Buy it (whatever IT is for you), Learn it and go make Images :P

dhaas
David Haas
www.haasimages.com