• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:09 AM

Three of us spent the day freediving and I shot video at a mountain lake east of where I live here in Oregon.

The water temps were a balmy 5-6C (40-42F) but viz is an incredible 150ft+ - The lake is a lava flow that solidified a few thousand years ago and the look is one of a lunar landscape.

Unfortunately, my external monitor battery went dead and trying to shoot video with your nose stuck to the back of your housing while freediving doesn't work very well, so the footage is not quite as varied as I would have liked, but hey... <_<

Have a look and be gentle on the critique.. :)

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

"To live the liquid life is to experience the rehabilitation of our bodies and minds as they evolve in the underwater world by not using any form of mechanical breathing apparatus - this is the essence, the purity of purpose of freediving." - Aharon Solomons

#2 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:13 PM

Nice vid Cliff, has a very laid back feel to it. Nice sunlight effects too.

I love snorkeling. Reminds me of my introduction to the u/w world many years ago way before I could afford SCUBA. Even now on a trip I just love taking off out across a reef with just M/F/S, or swimming right round an island (eg Sipadan, Heron etc). Because you can cover such huge distances, and because you are so quiet you often see large stuff that you'd miss on a dive.

Good job.

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#3 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:25 AM

Nice vid Cliff, has a very laid back feel to it. Nice sunlight effects too.

I love snorkeling. Reminds me of my introduction to the u/w world many years ago way before I could afford SCUBA. Even now on a trip I just love taking off out across a reef with just M/F/S, or swimming right round an island (eg Sipadan, Heron etc). Because you can cover such huge distances, and because you are so quiet you often see large stuff that you'd miss on a dive.

Good job.

Thanks Nick :P

It was my first serious attempt at shooting while freediving and although it was a good first attempt, being able now to review the footage, I can see some glaring mistakes I made while shooting. I take production values very seriously and need to work harder on creating a smooth story line and then create the footage to match that story line.

Training is so crucial for shooting relaxed underwater it is amazing - I thought I trained pretty well this summer but now having had the footage shot, I have an off season to look forward to where I'll be training more in depth to get 2 minute bottom times instead of 1 minute. Hopefully the increased training will allow me to shoot more efficiently underwater while freediving.

Edited by freediver, 09 September 2006 - 07:59 AM.

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

"To live the liquid life is to experience the rehabilitation of our bodies and minds as they evolve in the underwater world by not using any form of mechanical breathing apparatus - this is the essence, the purity of purpose of freediving." - Aharon Solomons

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6182 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:11 PM

would love to have a look.. but you know my web sux....

i remember cold water! hahaha

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:36 PM

Nice clip there Cliff. I'm hopeless at free diving with a wettie on...like to be free...and warm....
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#6 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1976 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:20 AM

Nice work Cliff. You've really captured the feeling that a freshwater lake with incredible viz can give.

20 minute bottom time? Are you for real? I sometimes don't get that out of a 12 litre tank, let alone a pair of lungs.

#7 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:32 AM

I think Cliff missed out a smiley after that comment!

2 minutes is pretty good I think. When I was a super fit teenager (don't ask) and doing a lot of spearfishing in the Med (definitely don't ask - sorry) I could get 2min+ on hyperventilating (don't ask) and using weights to prevent flapping to much on the way down......

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#8 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1976 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:03 AM

So you're the bugger that ate all the fish!

#9 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:01 AM

oops - I hadn't proof read my response and hit the zero key after the two - no way would I attempt 20 minutes.. ROFL...

To give you guys a dose of WOW! A Guilliume Nery just set the world record earlier this last week for Constant Ballast freediving - that's swimming down and back up - 109 meters folks!!! Did it in 2'55".

Food for thought...

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

#10 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:51 PM

Cliff,
Nice work. As a kid i used to hold my breath and feedive. I have since lost that skill altogether! Within 30 feet i am gasping for air...never mind holding a cam and shooting. Just for that I commend you:)
Shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#11 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:15 AM

That's nice and serene. The music is good too. Who is the music by?
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#12 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:11 PM

I used to spend hours snorkeling (didn't know it was called freediving then!) when I was a youngster. When we were on holiday I used to get out the mask and snorkel and my parents wouldn't see me until the end of the day.

When I went traveling in my teens (late 80's) and discovered the Red Sea I once again would spend hours at a time snorkeling and diving down. I used to pick up rocks from the beach and put them in my trunks for some ballast - but hey that's another story! :P There were no dive shops nearby in those days, but I got to spend 3 months on virgin reefs. By the time I left I could easily spend 2 - 3 mins underwater and dive to probably 20m. I'd be lucky if I could spend 30 sec breatholding now! LOL

I actually did get to scuba dive there one time. A couple of Swedish guys came by with some scuba gear and let me have a go. They stayed for a week, but as they had to head back to Sharm for air refills they only let me have one dive. Ah those were the days!!

Anyway I'm rambling.... Nic vid Cliff was what I basically wanted to say! ;)

Cheers, Simon

#13 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1976 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:01 PM

Do you guys reckon a free-diving course would be a worthwhile investment purely to improve breath-holding for underwater video? Who does the best courses?