• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:18 AM

It appears that people haven't bitten with regards to HD DVD /Blu-Ray.

Here's a link from Reuters: http://today.reuters...EDIA-BLURAY.xml

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

"To live the liquid life is to experience the rehabilitation of our bodies and minds as they evolve in the underwater world by not using any form of mechanical breathing apparatus - this is the essence, the purity of purpose of freediving." - Aharon Solomons

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:46 PM

Good find there.

Allot easier and cheaper to just get a player that can play the raw m2t file or HD WMV.

20 mins of 1280/720 HD wmv takes up like 1 gig so you can get like quite abit on a normal DVD disk and at 16 burn speed takes but a couple mins to burn a full one and they will play on any late model computer...well maybe not on a MAC.

Actually I tried playing a 1280/720 HD wmv on a G5 on the hard drive with that huge screen and it skipped and jumped all over the place... :)
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:12 PM

Hey Cliff,
WE have never met, but i have a question for you. It seems like the majority of your posts are in regards to something wrong with HD or why it isn't worth moving to it yet. I also noticed you run/or are a heavy participant in a DV forum. If you are so uninterested in HD and really love DV, why do you spend so much time participating in so many Hd related threads.
This is not a slight on you but rather has been an ongoing source off confusion for me:) Hopefully no offense will be taken:)
Shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#4 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:00 PM

Arrr leave Cliff alone you bully Shawn :blink: :blink:

His imputs are great and has is doing a great job on his website....Im sure Cliff would love to go to HDV right now but it does cost money$$$$ and he may not be blessed like us with spare cash floating around.. :)

Cliff if you ever watch 1440/1080 on a high res screen and then flick over to the sharpest best underwater MINI DV material @ 720/480 on the same screen you will go WOW...Even my best upconverted MINI DV stuff still does look as good...but you can sneak in the odd shot here and there into a edit.
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#5 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:11 AM

Arrr leave Cliff alone you bully Shawn :blink: :blink:

His inputs are great and has is doing a great job on his website....Im sure Cliff would love to go to HDV right now but it does cost money$$$$ and he may not be blessed like us with spare cash floating around.. :)

Cliff if you ever watch 1440/1080 on a high res screen and then flick over to the sharpest best underwater MINI DV material @ 720/480 on the same screen you will go WOW...Even my best upconverted MINI DV stuff still does look as good...but you can sneak in the odd shot here and there into a edit.

Thanks for being a mate Wags.. :blink:

He's right Shawn, I can't afford HD, doesn't mean I don't want to move to it - but the fact finding journalist in me is looking for both sides of the story - just as those MAC zealots who claim they have a superior OS, there are issues as well with the system that most never talk about - not wanting to offend anyone - a good journalist presents as many sides of the story as possible and then lets others draw their own conclusions. I'm not saying HD isn't worth it - it's just that much has yet to be completely ironed out with the format. I upgraded my NLE workstation this last week in anticipation for moving to HD within the next year.

New Dual Core Processor, 4GB RAM, Raid 0 Array, new PCIe Graphics card. If I do get the chance to shoot some test footage, I will have a machine capable of dealing with the footage in more realistic terms than my old setup.

Trust me, if I had my way, I would be shooting HD right now..

Edited by freediver, 02 September 2006 - 08:13 AM.

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

"To live the liquid life is to experience the rehabilitation of our bodies and minds as they evolve in the underwater world by not using any form of mechanical breathing apparatus - this is the essence, the purity of purpose of freediving." - Aharon Solomons

#6 peacedog

peacedog

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:19 PM

just as those MAC zealots who claim they have a superior OS, there are issues as well with the system that most never talk about

Hmmm. Interesting. I'm a big, big fan of HD now, and I fit the "Mac zealot" profile you probably use...

I upgraded my NLE workstation this last week in anticipation for moving to HD within the next year.

Also very interesting...

New Dual Core Processor, 4GB RAM, Raid 0 Array, new PCIe Graphics card.

Can I safely assume that because there are issues with the system - no doubt being covered up by an Apple-led conspiracy - that you didn't go with a Mac setup for that new NLE system? I would be very interested in knowing what system you did go with, and I'm sure a lot of the PC users on here could benefit from knowing as well.

There's a bit of piss-taking going on in my post, to be sure, but like Shawn I've noticed a pattern in your posts, both here and over at your own forum. So I'm definitely curious.
Sony Z1U
L&M Bluefin HD
LiquidAssets TV

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:59 PM

Ok boys play nice.
The internet is a funny place, lots of opinions and many unsubstantiated.
I have the HD DVD player Toshiba HD-XA1 sitting at home.
My early impressions: big and heavy, remote lights up and allows menu options while watching the movie (tres cool)
Picture quality: Attached to a Dell 30WFP using a HDMI-DVI converter, it was very good quality, at 1080i resolution. Using my HD projector, the resolution is similar to 720P and 1080i quality from digital cable (HD content stuff of course). No real bad artifacting like DVD but it's not perfect.
Then again I've only watched La Cité Des Enfants Perdu (excellent digi transfer I must add), Million Dollar Baby and Syriana (hey I was with the gf...whaddya want... Unleashed and Lethal Weapon?)
So far, I think the extra resolution is great for projectors screens and big displays. Even on small screens the resolution does make a difference. Is it film like? NO Did I expect it to be 35mm miracle solution? Err No.
So before you go poo-poo or goo goo over any technology, please go test it yourself. The best fact finder is your own eyes.
PS: I'm anti HDV myself :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#8 peacedog

peacedog

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:43 PM

The internet is a funny place, lots of opinions and many unsubstantiated.

PS: I'm anti HDV myself :)

You and Etzel are both heretics who must be burned at the stake...

HEATHENS!

*nervously tries to cover his Stingray II housing and TRV950*
Sony Z1U
L&M Bluefin HD
LiquidAssets TV

#9 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6186 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:53 PM

PS: I'm the anti christ myself :)

Fixed... :) :( :)

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#10 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:18 AM

Drew you have to many toys.......but I have a Question..

What rate/res - mbps are the HD DVD's you are playing. Is it lower than 25mbps?
I may be wrong but...
HDTV is like 18-19mbps VBR @1920/1080 or 10-12mbps VBR @1280/720

HDV (m2t files) are like 1080/1440 @25mbps CBR so they should give a slightly better image then HDTV rate.

And what HD projector have you got..we want to get one.

#11 Brumpy

Brumpy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:32 AM

And what HD projector have you got..we want to get one.
[/quote]

I have a Optoma HD72i and a 2 meter screen, and i can tell you wow you really see the difrent!

I love High Defenition :)

Edited by Brumpy, 03 September 2006 - 01:34 AM.

GATES EX1 housing

Sony Z1
LMI Bluefin HD housing
Vanherck Underwater Imaging

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:15 AM

You and Etzel are both heretics who must be burned at the stake...HEATHENS

Gary I don't like HDV because it's interframe and lossy as a codec. That's all.

What rate/res - mbps are the HD DVD's you are playing. Is it lower than 25mbps?
HDTV is like 18-19mbps VBR @1920/1080 or 10-12mbps VBR @1280/720
HDV (m2t files) are like 1080/1440 @25mbps CBR so they should give a slightly better image then HDTV rate.And what HD projector have you got..we want to get one.

Wags
HDV 720P is also 19.4 mbps same as HDTV 1080i. HD DVD and Blu Ray are both 36mbps if I remember correctly. I believe HD DVD can do 19.4 mbps Mpeg 2 or less with AVC (H264) and VC1 codecs. Good question, I'll go back to check on the codec used on those discs. I assumed they were using Mpeg2 HL.

Which brings me to new computer purchases. I would make sure hat the new laptops have HD DVD recorders in them before buying. I know Acer has them and so does Toshiba.

Projector is a Sony Qualia, found it for 1/5 the price from a friend who was getting divorced. Screen by StewartFilmscreens ultramatte (just installed since my old screen motor chewed up the the screen, warranty replacement and I paid the upgrade :)).

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.