114 replies to this topic

#61 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:16 AM

Ouch! I’m also the one taking care of the website, maybe I should spend less time here and more time there! :blink:

Here are some clarifications.

Current as in what is produced at concept/design of the finder, this finder has been designed quite recently (spring 2006).

Here is a list of housing that are currently in production:

Nikon D200
Nikon D2X
Soon Nikon D80 (make that very soon)
Canon 5D
Canon 30D

--------------------------------------------------------

Not manufactured but still available in small quantity from factory

Nikon D70/s

All other housing model for Nikon D100, Canon 300D/Digital Rebel, 20D & Fuji S2pro might be available from some of our distributing dealers, but are not manufactured anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------

A housing retrofit is available for:

For Nikon D2X (early version)
For Canon 5D (early version)

-------------------------------------------------------

A retrofit is possible for, if the demand is there*:

Nikon D70/s
Canon 20D (might be some issue with the delete button as we would need to move the LCD window down a bit)

* We would need 25 or more customers of a housing model to commit to a run of casting, that’s 25 for the 20D and 25 for the Nikon D70/s housings, this would be done at a more than reasonable cost, but again only if we attain the required amount of orders.

No retrofit will be available for:

Nikon D100
Fuji S2pro
Canon 300D/Digital Rebel

For people interested in a retrofit the best would be to contact Aquatica at info@aquatica.ca and write < Retrofit and your housing model # ______> in the subject line. The nature of this forum precludes discussing price here, so please contact us for pricing and info.

Now back to working on the Website, before I get my finger slapped by you guys again ;)
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#62 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:26 AM

Jean - thank you for all of the information. We really appreciate your time and presence here at wetpixel.!

Occasional finger-slapping is an unfortunate effect of having open discussion, but it does allow you to get a sense of what the community is feeling. Don't let the actions of a few prevent you from continuing to represent Aquatica here. ;)
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#63 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:27 AM

But my french is so bad that I may inadvertently wind up asking for directions to Vancouver or insulting someone's mother!

Vancouver has good diving, and our mother are pretty resilient :blink:

Oh, and if I haven't pissed Jean off too much in the last couple of days

Dude, I'm unpissable ;)

FYI : our website does mention which housing is discontinued, the only exception being the D70 (at least for a few week since some unit are still available, next post will be I.D. shots on how to identify if you have a removable eye piece.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#64 chidiver

chidiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

Vancouver has good diving, and our mother are pretty resilient :)
Dude, I'm unpissable :blink:

FYI : our website does mention which housing is discontinued, the only exception being the D70 (at least for a few week since some unit are still available, next post will be I.D. shots on how to identify if you have a removable eye piece.

Jean

Thanks for all the information. Its very useful (if depressing for 20D and D70 owners :D ). After spending the last couple of days bashing the corporate communications on the viewfinder I would like shift gears to commend you specifically, and Aquatica more generally, for your willingness to engage directly with your customers in a public forum like this. Its very valuable, but still pretty rare for companies to do it, even today. When companies (such as the computer manufacturers) set up forums for their users to interact, they will rarely utilize these tools to directly engage in public discussion with their customers or potential customers about their products. Its even more rare for companies to act on the feedback. Thanks.

I shall now revert back to lurker mode ;) For now........

Stefan

#65 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

Stefan, we are not banning the idea of a retrofit on the 20D and D70, we just need the right amount (25) of people to commit if indeed anybody is interested, by all mean drop us an e-mail with your model type and coordonnate and if we make it to the minimun for a model type we will be more than happy to do a batch (that's 25 viewfinder sold, of course we will be happy :-) )

Thanks for the compliment, indeed a slap on the back feels good !

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#66 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:03 PM

view_finder_d70.jpg

Sorry for the delay, here is the photo showing both type, basically if you have easy access to an o-ring (a non sealing one ) your O.K., if you can't see any o-ring then that mean you are a canditate for the retrofit program

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#67 Big T

Big T

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:05 AM

Are there any revised estimates for delivery date?

#68 DrFiscus

DrFiscus

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography, snow skiing, golf

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:08 AM

How is the interest level coming for the 25 people needed for the D70 back retrofit?
Thanks.
Andy
Andy Malbin
DrFiscus@msn.com
www.oceandoctorshots.com

Nikon D200, D300, Aquatica housing, twin Ikelite DS 161's, Nikon 10.5, 60, VR105, Tokina 10 - 17, Sigma 17 - 70 HSM, Tokina 11 - 16

#69 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:00 AM

still getting some names, but so far not nearly enough for the retrofit program to start, you have until the 31 june, 2007 to commit, there is instruction on our web site, www.aquatica.ca

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#70 Big T

Big T

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:27 AM

Any news on a proposed ship date for the viewfinder?

Big T

#71 parablennius

parablennius

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:57 AM

still getting some names, but so far not nearly enough for the retrofit program to start, you have until the 31 june, 2007 to commit, there is instruction on our web site, www.aquatica.ca

Hi, I have a Aquatica A70 I'm interested in the retrofit program, what should I do?

Thanks

pm

#72 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

Just drop us an e-mail at info@aquatica.ca with the mention Retrofit program for D70 in the subject line, we will pick it up from there.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#73 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:20 PM

New update on the viewfinder, the prism are the only component missing, our supplier says about another 3 to 4 weeks :-(

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#74 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:45 AM

Happy to report that I have had two fantastic weeks shooting a preproduction version of the AQUATICA aquafinder - I can only say good things about it and can't wait for the final version with the adjustable diopter - it is a winner.

Had a Subal D2X / grandviewfinder and an Aquatica D2XS / AQUAVIEWFINDER and spent two weeks diving them pretty solidly. They were at least the equal of each other although my feeling tends to put the larger image size in the aqua view in front at this time.

That feeling was consistant with those people in my party who tried the Aquatica out ( they all had Subal GF viewfinders, and where as keen as me to EXPERIENCE the results )

Before I get any flack - yes I do sell these Aquatica aquaview viewfinders. I also sell the Subal unit and have been diving there GF viewfinder since the introduction of that product.

If your housing accepts this viewfinder - order one straight away, if it doesn't PM me and I will work out something WORKABLE out for you ( commercial plug )

Peter

#75 waja

waja

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:07 PM

I signed up for the 20D upgrade. The cost of the program is US$375.00+shipping and handling. That comes out to US$9375.00+ for 25. It would be interesting to see the count of those willing to get the retrofit. 20D vs D70 :D
Rick

Canon EOS 5D Mk II; Canon 14mm II; Canon 50mm f/1.4; Canon 100mm macro; Canon 24-105mm
Aquatica 5D Mk II housing
Aquatica AquaView Viewfinder
Dual Sea&Sea YS-250Pro
ULCS Arms
http://www.ricklevesque.com

#76 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:35 AM

It would be interesting to see the count of those willing to get the retrofit. 20D vs D70 ;)

So far the 20D is ahead by a few units, we are doing good and getting close to the required number (for the 20D), folks who have applied for the retrofit program will be contacted soon so that we can get to the commitment level.

BTW, I'll be at the Chicago show in a few weeks, any Wetpixelians going ?

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#77 parablennius

parablennius

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:44 AM

I hope that Aquatica do not wait for summer to ask for the housings ;) ;) :unsure:

#78 waja

waja

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:51 AM

I hope that Aquatica do not wait for summer to ask for the housings ;) ;) :unsure:

Jean,
Is the retrofit a retooling of the existing back piece or is it a replacement backing?

-Rick
Rick

Canon EOS 5D Mk II; Canon 14mm II; Canon 50mm f/1.4; Canon 100mm macro; Canon 24-105mm
Aquatica 5D Mk II housing
Aquatica AquaView Viewfinder
Dual Sea&Sea YS-250Pro
ULCS Arms
http://www.ricklevesque.com

#79 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

Its a bit of both, we use your existing controls and ports window (read LCD windows) and install them on the new back, so yes we need for you to send your back cover, and as far as when to send your housing, the ball is in your park as soon as we have the required amount of request we will launch the retrofit, once that is done. its up to you to ship whenever is convenient for you. (as noted on our website a delay of +/- 90 days is required from the moment of the program go ahead launch date). This delay is due to the casting/machining/painting process and said process cannot be started until we have the required commited amount of orders.

In any case as usual we will try to accomodate urgency in the most diligent fashion. (boy, I sound like Ike, I miss you O'le boy !).

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#80 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 04 February 2007 - 04:12 AM

here is an example of the aquaview being removed.

It all got lost in blackness of my housing - will reshoot it tomorrow on a silver housing.

Attached Files