• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#41 Kory Nakatsu

Kory Nakatsu

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:51 PM

I forgot to mention - I did see the existing thread on this view finder. From that I learned that it's cool and a lot of people want one. Still not really clear on what it does beyond the stock finder.
Kory Nakatsu
Nakatsus.com

#42 Kory Nakatsu

Kory Nakatsu

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:27 AM

For any that may be interested, here is the very helpful email response I got from Mauricio Handler:

"The new finder will make your image larger, crisper and will make for an overall better experience.
you can off course shoot without it. The main thing is for all that have not so good eye sight and or prefer the benefit of a much larger image - this is then a must. Viewing through a D200 finder is good but once you use the Aqua Finder you will never want to shoot without it. In the days of film we used the Action Finder (in the Nikon line) This made shooting much more enjoyable and the strain on the eyes was simply not there- then came digital with the much smaller viewfinders. It was really torturous. The answer to those of us using bifocal glasses and or wanting a bigger picture (just for the fun of it) is the Aqua View. The finder takes 30 sec to remove and store for transport. Like the housing, it is rated to 300 feet as well."

Now I know why you guys are fired up about this thing. Placing my order with Mauricio today...

Kory
Kory Nakatsu
Nakatsus.com

#43 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:02 PM

Could I be a pest and ask what diameter and depth of the viewfinder port bore is on your housings? I'm trying to collect info on all possible viewfinders with a view to upgrading my Sea&Sea finder. I'd love to be ina position to swap housing systems but reality tethers me to S&S for now.

Quoted and seconded... I'm in the same boat as Martyn and woudl be interested in this information if someone could make it available.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#44 Helge Suess

Helge Suess

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:00 AM

Hi!

I can't speak for the Aquatica finder but my finder (which will be produced and distributed by UK-GERMANY) has a metric 30mm x 1 (that's roughly 1 1/4") thread mount. It is adaptable to larger diameters too on request.

It is a 45 angle finder with an approximately 1:1 magnification that allows for a viewing distance usally needed when wearing a dive mask.

The first working (divable) pieces will be available early in January. Right now I've got a prototype built in STL as a proof of concept and to review the design.

Helge ;-)=)

Edited by Helge Suess, 06 December 2006 - 10:29 PM.

Olympus E-5 in UK-GERMANY housing and a bag full of glass ...

#45 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:16 PM

You need to poke a hole 1.5 inches in size and you need to be at 1 inch from the eye piece to the external flange. we added some focus adjustments on the production version (It set us back a week but well worth it).

The Aquatica housing compatibles are the following :

For Nikon D200

For Nikon D2X, D2H... for theses, some early model will need a factory rerofit, you need to contact Aquatica for further info if that is your case

For Nikon D70/s only the very last batch was manufactured to the Aqua View Spec's,

For Canon 30D

For Canon 5D, some early model are not compatible

whoever want to drill hole in their housing should get it done by proffesional machinist, the consequence of a botched up job are needless to say dramatic.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#46 chidiver

chidiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:34 PM

You need to poke a hole 1.5 inches in size and you need to be at 1 inch from the eye piece to the external flange. we added some focus adjustments on the production version (It set us back a week but well worth it).

The Aquatica housing compatibles are the following :

For Nikon D200

For Nikon D2X, D2H... for theses, some early model will need a factory rerofit, you need to contact Aquatica for further info if that is your case

For Nikon D70/s only the very last batch was manufactured to the Aqua View Spec's,

For Canon 30D

For Canon 5D, some early model are not compatible

whoever want to drill hole in their housing should get it done by proffesional machinist, the consequence of a botched up job are needless to say dramatic.

Ummmm......20D? :wacko: From a prior post, I thought the only incompatible housings were a few early D2Xs. Now you're saying D70s and early 5Ds are also incompatible?!!!! Is there a way to tell from serial numbers?

How about a full list of compatible housings?

You've just given me a heart attack here. I've already ordered one through Fred at UW Photo Tech for my 20D. Do I need to cancel this? ;)

Stefan

#47 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6193 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:39 PM

yea, 20D is older than 5D so i would say that yes, 20D is not compatible. However, he says you can send in the back for a factory refit (at least that is my understanding...)

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#48 chidiver

chidiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:05 PM

yea, 20D is older than 5D so i would say that yes, 20D is not compatible. However, he says you can send in the back for a factory refit (at least that is my understanding...)

I love my housing, but I'd say Aquatica has done a poor job of communicating useful information on this thousand dollar+ viewfinder to its customer base. Just look at this thread! People are dying to throw $1000+ at Aquatica for this product instead of going blind or guessing on composition! When the only information available from the company is the "ooh, lookey what we've got" press release and occasional posts by Jean on this thread, that's pretty bad. 90% of what I read is speculation (albeit educated speculation here :wacko: ) Their website is completely useless when it comes to technical information and support for this! Its a simple list: Model/serial number ranges/compatible, refittable, SOL.

Rant over

Stefan

#49 parablennius

parablennius

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:25 PM

Hi Tom

Sorry for the delay, some backplat photos, inside and out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:10 PM

20D, D100, S2pro Digital rebel/300D are not compatible,

D70/s and 5D The D70/s only the last batch is compatible, the 5D the latest model are mostly compatible. A retrofit is in study but cost might be an issue if demmand is not high enough for it.

D2X there will be a retrofit program (specific to be available in the next coming day) for the D2X housing, we can do on the D2x because of the nature of the housing, its machined from solid stock and is done in small batch) we cannot for the other housing which are not compatible.

I will take some shots tomorrow and post them to help you figure out the visual cue to identify your housing as a potential suitor to the view finder. but off the cuff, looking inside your housing rear portion if you see a large black o-ring around your viewfinder base that is easely removable, then that mean your housing is compatible with the Aqua View.

C'mon guys, its a new addition to our line of accessories, so we had to make concession, one of them was if, we wanted a better quality, we had to do some difficult choice, our current supplied viewfinder (20D, D100 etc.) has always been one of the best, but trying to accomodate that huge chunk of view finder into the dimension of the hole we had, sorry :angry: but, lesser diameter+ lesser prism= lesser quality, not a compromise we wanted to make, so hence we look forward and try to improve the product day in day out.

In retrospect for all the quality of the new view finder, your old Aquatica are still as good has the day you got them. The new housing, and I includes our competition, will always improve on the current state of affair, its the nature of the beast. And to close, Yes I would like to have my Fuji housing retrofitted, hell even my trusty, crusty F90X (that a film camera, remember thoses ;) ) Trust me, I have the same feeling when I hear that you just got a 1Ds and next month they show up with the mark II version, and Nikon D2Xs and D70s... The industry used to design a housing for ten years, now its more like ten months, its not an apology its a reality factor :wacko: .

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#51 chidiver

chidiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:49 AM

20D, D100, S2pro Digital rebel/300D are not compatible,

D70/s and 5D The D70/s only the last batch is compatible, the 5D the latest model are mostly compatible. A retrofit is in study but cost might be an issue if demmand is not high enough for it.

D2X there will be a retrofit program (specific to be available in the next coming day) for the D2X housing, we can do on the D2x because of the nature of the housing, its machined from solid stock and is done in small batch) we cannot for the other housing which are not compatible.

I will take some shots tomorrow and post them to help you figure out the visual cue to identify your housing as a potential suitor to the view finder. but off the cuff, looking inside your housing rear portion if you see a large black o-ring around your viewfinder base that is easely removable, then that mean your housing is compatible with the Aqua View.

C'mon guys, its a new addition to our line of accessories, so we had to make concession, one of them was if, we wanted a better quality, we had to do some difficult choice, our current supplied viewfinder (20D, D100 etc.) has always been one of the best, but trying to accomodate that huge chunk of view finder into the dimension of the hole we had, sorry :) but, lesser diameter+ lesser prism= lesser quality, not a compromise we wanted to make, so hence we look forward and try to improve the product day in day out.

In retrospect for all the quality of the new view finder, your old Aquatica are still as good has the day you got them. The new housing, and I includes our competition, will always improve on the current state of affair, its the nature of the beast. And to close, Yes I would like to have my Fuji housing retrofitted, hell even my trusty, crusty F90X (that a film camera, remember thoses :angry: ) Trust me, I have the same feeling when I hear that you just got a 1Ds and next month they show up with the mark II version, and Nikon D2Xs and D70s... The industry used to design a housing for ten years, now its more like ten months, its not an apology its a reality factor :wacko: .

Well at this point I'm just completely bummed. I had gotten all excited over a product that could have vastly improved my underwater photographic experience (but probably not results ;) ). The biggest issue I was having in transitioning to the housed SLR from P&S (my trusty Tetra 4040) was not having the LCD available for composition.

Simple question:

Have you stopped producing housings for the 20D, D70, S2 and Digital Rebel? If not, then this line from your press release should be rescinded as it may inspire someone to puchase a housing with the false understanding that the viewfinder is available for it:

"the rugged Aqua View is compatible with our recent line up of camera housing"

That's fresh, given that until a day or two before when the 30D housing was unveiled, the 20D was still the "current" cropped sensor Canon in your lineup.

I'm just bummed! :) :) :(

#52 TomStack

TomStack

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:08 AM

Hi parablennius,

Judging from your photos I'm sorry to say you indeed have an earlier version of the D70 housing which will not support the Aqua View.

I'm still waiting to hear when housing replacement backs for D70 housing will be available and for what price.

I'm sure Jean can help us out with that one.

Best regards,

Tom Stack

http://www.tomstackphoto.com

#53 thatporchdawg

thatporchdawg

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

And replacement backs for other housings.... like the 20D? :wacko:
Ken Bean
Aquatica - Canon 20D - Sigma 50, Canon 100 & Sigma 15FE - Sea&Sea YS90-DXs

#54 davidrodkeller

davidrodkeller

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:23 PM

I love my housing, but I'd say Aquatica has done a poor job of communicating useful information on this thousand dollar+ viewfinder to its customer base.

I don't know that I see any fault with Aquatica's handling of this situation. It was just a few weeks ago that they showed an example at DEMA, but even that piece was either not coated or not coated properly, so who here didn't understand it was unlikely that Aquatica had finalized production, distribution or fitment. One, maybe two, of Aquatica's resellers did the forum a disservice by whipping up the frenzy just a bit and at this point there wasn't any reason to do that, but in the end it was pretty clear that Aquatica didn't yet have a handle on this product, so any ordering or planning would seem to have been hopeful, to say the least.

I have been using Seacam's S45 since 2000 and S180 since 2002 so I understand how an Aquatica user might have become impatient, but still the onus is upon us to make certain we understand everything before purchasing a brand new product, at least if we want the right to complain.

This is a slim industry and despite the fact that I believe most intentions are good, I don't ever find a compelling reason to be the first to bet my hopes or money on a new product that hasn't seen the water in a lot of other people's hands first ;)
Thanks,
DRK

#55 TomStack

TomStack

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:52 PM

Thanks DRK

Ken, I spoke with Jean today and he will shortly post an answer on previous housings.

Best,

Tom

http://www.tomstackphoto.com

#56 chidiver

chidiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:15 PM

I don't know that I see any fault with Aquatica's handling of this situation. It was just a few weeks ago that they showed an example at DEMA, but even that piece was either not coated or not coated properly, so who here didn't understand it was unlikely that Aquatica had finalized production, distribution or fitment. One, maybe two, of Aquatica's resellers did the forum a disservice by whipping up the frenzy just a bit and at this point there wasn't any reason to do that, but in the end it was pretty clear that Aquatica didn't yet have a handle on this product, so any ordering or planning would seem to have been hopeful, to say the least.

I have been using Seacam's S45 since 2000 and S180 since 2002 so I understand how an Aquatica user might have become impatient, but still the onus is upon us to make certain we understand everything before purchasing a brand new product, at least if we want the right to complain.

This is a slim industry and despite the fact that I believe most intentions are good, I don't ever find a compelling reason to be the first to bet my hopes or money on a new product that hasn't seen the water in a lot of other people's hands first :)

Nothing I say will change the facts as we now understand them. Life is full of disappointments....not being able to drop $1000 on a new toy falls pretty far down on the list ;)

I realize how new the product is, but I've always been an early adopter. I was especially willing to jump at it in this case since I've been going blind and having a very difficult time getting composition/DOF right (more than usual :D ) with my current setup. :blink: This was a prayer answered.

I personally still feel that "the rugged Aqua View is compatible with our recent line up of camera housing" was misleading. Who here wouldn't consider their 20D, D70, S2Pro or 5D housing part of Aquatica's "recent" line up of housings?

In the interest of providing a template for a more helpful and accurate press release [I'm making some of this up, don't know if this is actually what could happen!]. How about: "The rugged Aqua View is compatible with all Aquatica D200 and 30D housings, as well as 5D housings manufactured after xx/xx/xx. In addition, all future DSLR housings manufactured by Aquatica for the Canon xxx, Nikon xxx and Fuji xxx will be compatible with the Aqua View [definitely haven't heard if this will happen yet because of inventory, design or other reasons]. In addition, Aquatica is looking into a possible retrofit/back replacement program [Gawd I hope so!] to make the Aqua View available to existing owners of Aquatica DSLR housings."

I'm no marketing genius, but that would have helped.

Dead horse...........BEATEN!

#57 davidrodkeller

davidrodkeller

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:00 PM

I personally still feel that "the rugged Aqua View is compatible with our recent line up of camera housing" was misleading. Who here wouldn't consider their 20D, D70, S2Pro or 5D housing part of Aquatica's "recent" line up of housings?

I don't believe "recent line up" equates with "every housing we make". But I do believe that a company located in Montreal may be posting an English statement with origins in French language, and as such might not convey precisely. So for some nifty new $ 1,100.00 accessory that I just have to have, I'd pick up the phone and spend 10 or 15 minutes finding out, on a direct personal level, if my current kit would accept it.

I understand your disapointment, but to me it feels unfair and harsh to make such a complaint. Jean sure seems to have been stand-up throughout the discussions on this new finder.
Thanks,
DRK

#58 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:42 PM

Thanks DRK, being French has its perk once in a while, you can wiggle out of communication jam much easier, So soooorry! I aaaam Freeeench, pardonnez-moi, ze english is my second language :blink: ;)

I'm working with you guys on that one and we will have a Communiqué tomorrow (friday) as clear as Bahamas water, but if any one need to contact me specificly they can e-mail me at jean@aquatica.ca and I will do my upmost to help you, meanwhile I applaude you for letting us know there is an interest for the D70 and 20D housing, for now i'll say that much tonight, with these two housing if the demand his there, nothing is impossible. :)

Au revoir !

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#59 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:34 AM

Tell Blake I'd be happy to test the prototype for the 20D out for him. TICA the Canadian red housing is primed and ready. ;)

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#60 chidiver

chidiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:14 AM

I don't believe "recent line up" equates with "every housing we make". But I do believe that a company located in Montreal may be posting an English statement with origins in French language, and as such might not convey precisely. So for some nifty new $ 1,100.00 accessory that I just have to have, I'd pick up the phone and spend 10 or 15 minutes finding out, on a direct personal level, if my current kit would accept it.

I understand your disapointment, but to me it feels unfair and harsh to make such a complaint. Jean sure seems to have been stand-up throughout the discussions on this new finder.

Actually, I've twice sent emails to Aquatica through the "contact us" section of their website and got no reply. Maybe I should have asked in french? :blink: But my french is so bad that I may inadvertently wind up asking for directions to Vancouver or insulting someone's mother! I totally agree that Jean has been very responsive here and I think we all really appreciate it.

The issue (I really am just trying to help!) is that not every Aquatica owner is a regular reader on this forum and doesn't have the benefit of a relatively direct conversation with Jean through this thread. The Aqua View, as currently configured, is basically only compatible with two (possibly three) of the nine digital SLR housings in their current catalog.

It sounds like they're being responsive and working on it, and that's all one can really hope for.

Oh, and if I haven't pissed Jean off too much in the last couple of days, I too would willingly volunteer to test a 20D solution B) Although it will probably be either in a pool or under the ice! Sigh, 16 degrees F this morning in Chicago. This is what happens when I've been dry for too long ;) .

Stefan