• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 sdingeldein

sdingeldein

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:28 AM

My D80 arrived today . . . EARLY! Is this a first for Nikon?

Now, when will Ike have a housing?

I have only taken a quick look at it. I will play a bit with it this evening.

Price was $999.99 not $1200 like I'd read a few places.

SD
Born to dive, forced to work

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:35 AM

999 with the 18-135 or the 18 - 55 DX lens?! That is a good price for the 18- 135 combo.

Edited by Starbuck, 05 September 2006 - 10:37 AM.

Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com
D2X and D80 / Nexus / Ikelite / Inon / Heinrichs iTTL controller

#3 sdingeldein

sdingeldein

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:45 PM

999 with the 18-135 or the 18 - 55 DX lens?! That is a good price for the 18- 135 combo.

Body only.

SD

#4 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:36 PM

I've got to play with the D80 for a while last week. I think you'll be pretty happy with it...

Now the wait for a housing begins...

#5 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1241 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:57 PM

Please post your experiences and reviews.

I'm wondering about which 'kit' lens to buy with mine. I do need a zoom telephoto, general purpose lens, to start with for topside use.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#6 DrFiscus

DrFiscus

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography, snow skiing, golf

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:30 AM

I'm wondering about which 'kit' lens to buy with mine. I do need a zoom telephoto, general purpose lens, to start with for topside use.

Jack

So - have you tried to figure out how to get one of your excisting housings to work with your new D80?
Andy
:rolleyes:
Andy Malbin
DrFiscus@msn.com
www.oceandoctorshots.com

Nikon D200, D300, Aquatica housing, twin Ikelite DS 161's, Nikon 10.5, 60, VR105, Tokina 10 - 17, Sigma 17 - 70 HSM, Tokina 11 - 16

#7 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1241 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:08 AM

So - have you tried to figure out how to get one of your excisting housings to work with your new D80?
Andy
:rolleyes:

My existing housing is for a Fuji E900 digicam system. Yeah, I'm bummed I wouldn't be able to house a D80 before my Truk trip in November, but right now I can only justify it for above water use anyway. I don't feel that buying an older d70s or Canon 350 is the right move either.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#8 sdingeldein

sdingeldein

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:19 AM

My existing housing is for a Fuji E900 digicam system. Yeah, I'm bummed I wouldn't be able to house a D80 before my Truk trip in November, but right now I can only justify it for above water use anyway. I don't feel that buying an older d70s or Canon 350 is the right move either.

Jack

I asked Ike when a D80 housing would be available and he thought it MIGHT be as early as October. Ikelite just got their D 80 and need to do some testing to make sure there have been no changes in the iTTL.

A couple quick comments about the camera. The pop up flash jumps up when the camera determines the exposure level is no appropriate. My D200 doesn't do that. The ability to magnify and examine pictures on the LCD is the nicest I've seen on a Nikon camera. One hits the magnifying glass multiple times and each push of the button zooms in more. One can navigate the picture using the toggle button and there is a mini view of the photo in the lower right corner that shows you what portion of the photo you are looking at and as a guide to navigating the picture.

Otherwise it reminds me a lot of the D70 (I've never had a D50 in my hands).

SD

#9 leeuwpt

leeuwpt

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Any and all underwater photo stuff!!

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:12 AM

Sea & Sea is working on a housing for the D80 that is slated to be out sometime in the fall so at least one option will be available quickly!!!! :rolleyes:

#10 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:29 AM

The pop up flash jumps up when the camera determines the exposure level is no appropriate. My D200 doesn't do that.
SD

I don't have a D80 but from my experience with the D70 I'd bet that it only does that in the dumb green auto everything mode. I bet in P mode, or A/S/M modes it doesn't do that. The D200 doesn't have a dumb green mode. Don't shoot in the dumb green mode. It's dumb.

I do like having it though because I set it to that whenever I hand my camera to my wife so that something like aperture, FEC or EC won't fowl her up.

Jack

I would get the 18-200mm if possible. I have one and love it. The performance is fantastic for a zoom much more a super zoom. With all the junk you lug around on trips its nice to have one thing simplified for travel. Its strictly for topside use though.

For underwater the best value is the 60mm macro. Its my favorite lens and only ~$350. After that the Tokina/Nikon 12-24mm are great dependingupon your budget. The 105mm, 15mm Sigma, and 10.5mm should be next on your list.

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85

#11 sdingeldein

sdingeldein

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:52 AM

I don't have a D80 but from my experience with the D70 I'd bet that it only does that in the dumb green auto everything mode. I bet in P mode, or A/S/M modes it doesn't do that. The D200 doesn't have a dumb green mode. Don't shoot in the dumb green mode. It's dumb.

I do like having it though because I set it to that whenever I hand my camera to my wife so that something like aperture, FEC or EC won't fowl her up.
I would get the 18-200mm if possible. I have one and love it. The performance is fantastic for a zoom much more a super zoom. With all the junk you lug around on trips its nice to have one thing simplified for travel. Its strictly for topside use though.

For underwater the best value is the 60mm macro. Its my favorite lens and only ~$350. After that the Tokina/Nikon 12-24mm are great dependingupon your budget. The 105mm, 15mm Sigma, and 10.5mm should be next on your list.

Yeah, it is in the P mode and I never shot that with a D70. It is nice for someone like my wife who really doesn't understand f stops and shutterspeed (not that I really do either, lol).

I second the 18-200 lens for topside.

SD

#12 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:54 AM

I agree with the 18-200 DX VR recommendation...it is a really, really cool lens to have.. The VR feature almost makes it too easy to shoot great photos...actually had to read the manual for this lens...
Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com
D2X and D80 / Nexus / Ikelite / Inon / Heinrichs iTTL controller

#13 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:UK underwater photography

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:31 PM

Sea & Sea is working on a housing for the D80 that is slated to be out sometime in the fall so at least one option will be available quickly!!!! :rolleyes:

That's interesting, but where do you get a hint like that. Is this just speculation?
With the D200 out now I was not sure who apart from Ikelite would tool up to make a housing for the D80.

#14 UWPhotoTech

UWPhotoTech

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:12 AM

Hi this is Lee, from earlier, We actually have a couple pre-ordered already, some people seeing the demand for the D200 rush decided to hop in early and get theirs as soon as they could. :rolleyes:
Underwater Photo-Tech, Derry, NH
Phone: 603-432-1997, Web: www.uwphoto.com

#15 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:26 AM

Yeah, it is in the P mode and I never shot that with a D70. It is nice for someone like my wife who really doesn't understand f stops and shutterspeed (not that I really do either, lol).

SD

Are you sure that the flash is popping up in the P mode? My D70 flash never pops up automatically in the P mode, but it does in the auto-everything green mode or in certain scene modes. The D200 has the P mode too, but no green mode.

Just set it to M....

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85

#16 sdingeldein

sdingeldein

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:10 AM

Are you sure that the flash is popping up in the P mode? My D70 flash never pops up automatically in the P mode, but it does in the auto-everything green mode or in certain scene modes. The D200 has the P mode too, but no green mode.

Just set it to M....

Sorry, it's the Green Auto Everything mode

SD

#17 DrFiscus

DrFiscus

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography, snow skiing, golf

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:24 AM

Sorry, it's the Green Auto Everything mode

SD

Back to my earlier question - with all of these D80's around - has anybody actually tried to see how it fits in a D70 or other prexisting housing? I would love to be able to buy just a new Aquatica back or insert for my D70 housing (just kidding - it couldn't be that simple or inexpensive but certainly was worth a shot).
Thanks.
Andy
;) :P
Andy Malbin
DrFiscus@msn.com
www.oceandoctorshots.com

Nikon D200, D300, Aquatica housing, twin Ikelite DS 161's, Nikon 10.5, 60, VR105, Tokina 10 - 17, Sigma 17 - 70 HSM, Tokina 11 - 16

#18 moliu

moliu

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:26 AM

I've played with the D80. I think it's a pretty decent camera for the price you pay. It's definitely not as good as the D200. The exposure's a little different on the D80. The feel is also not as good. The D200 feels very solid in my hands, but the D80 feels more like the D50. That said, it is a pretty small and nice camera. It would definitely be one of the best cameras to take underwater given the price and quality.

I'm pretty sure Sea and Sea is coming out with a housing for D80 this year. probably in fall. There's already photos of it on the japanese sea and sea forums. The pictures shows a D80 housing which is blue in color.

#19 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:UK underwater photography

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

DX_D80_housing.jpg Here is a picture of Sea & Sea's DX-D80 housing off a japanese web site.

The picture is not too revealing but a few things may be of interest to those keen on the Nikon D80 and like Sea & Sea housings.

It looks like the front part of the housing is aluminium and the rear is plastic. This makes it similar to the D50 housing and cheaper than the all aluminium D200 housing. I think this is confirmed by shape of the rear section and the third clasping lock on the top of the housing.

Unlike the D50 housing there is now an additional control knob by the shutter release - presumably allowing seperate controls for shutter speed and aperture.

The housing lever for activating the AE-L, AF-L button is missing - this may be of no benefit to many.

That's all I can tell though - but at least it is a strong indication that one of the leading manufactures is likely to launch a housing for this interesting looking camera.

Edited by Trevor Rees, 10 September 2006 - 12:05 PM.

#20 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:49 PM

Very nice Trevor, thanks for posting! MediaSub/Bruder has also announced a D80 housing, manufacturers were quick with this one.

http://www.digifish....n/news0115.html

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.