• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:42 PM

It all started with Qantas, they banned Dell laptops due to overheating batteries:

http://www.smh.com.a...6012601607.html

Now Korean Air is banning not only Dell, but also Apple iBooks and PowerBooks:

http://www.appleinsi...cle.php?id=2019

So, if you've got one of the affected laptops, please check it with your airline before taking it into the plane. A major pain for long flights...

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#2 chewie70

chewie70

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:19 PM

It figures! I'll be flying out in 2 weeks and have a G4 Powerbook. I think they are definately over reacting. I know some of the Dell's have caught fire and a recall was issued, but never heard of a Mac catching fire. They just run hot.

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:31 PM

thanks Luiz-

I'll be checking my powerbook..

M.
Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com
D2X and D80 / Nexus / Ikelite / Inon / Heinrichs iTTL controller

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

I am sure as soon as they see a dip in the numbers of business travellers as a result they will suddenly decide it is no longer a safety issue.

A couple of years ago in Europe the airlines all wanted to restrict hand luggage to 5 kg because of the safety risk of heavy items falling out of lockers and injuring pilots. Then the airlines realised that if they encouraged passengers to hand carry more and send less weight through the hold - the airlines would have to pay less baggage handling charges to the airport. So low and behold, heavy hand luggage was no longer an issue. And airlines started to encourage you to hand carry as much as you could carry...

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 curtisleo

curtisleo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:48 AM

I fly out of London LHR often and they made the carry on size 45cm, width of 35cm and depth of
16cm (17.7"x13.7"x6.2"), cut from BAA's website.

I can no longer carry my photo backpack and camera gear with me. I was stopped and had to check in my gear. Just a few days earlier, I flew to the US with the same bag and I was let through. Well since I did not want to watch my gear go down the blackhole, I strapped almost everything to my body. 1DM2 was strapped around my neck, A1U was in my jacket pocket, Lens were in all my pants pockets. I might get a photovest for travel now.

Anyone else traveling out of LHR?

Curtis

#6 frogmansub

frogmansub

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Long shallow dives

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:56 AM

I had the same problem on Tuesday at LHR on a BA flight. Small hand-luggage only, no fluids, no toothpaste, etc... But you can buy anything once you're in the duty-free area.

Flying back to the UK wasn't a problem. Standard hand-luggage policy.

Regarding the laptop, BA didn't say anything about the Powerbook. Mine is one of the dodgy ones and I've ordered a new battery on the Apple website. If I fly Quantas, I guess I'll have to prove that the faulty battery has been replaced, then ?

Edited by frogmansub, 07 September 2006 - 03:58 AM.

JP Trenque

Disciplus mustardem

D200 in Sea & Sea housing - 2 YS90 Duo - 2 sets of magic filters !
http://www.jptrenque.com

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:56 AM

When I flew out of heathrow 2.5 weeks ago you weren't allowed anything in the pockets of your clothes. And the women in front of me was sent back to the check in desk from the security point because she had an extra carrier bag of stuff (although she was from an ethnic group who are more likely to draw the attention of the security, rightly or wrongly).

I have heard that they have chilled out a bit now. I will find out again in a few days.

Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#8 curtisleo

curtisleo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:37 AM

I'm flying this sunday to the US for a week. Since it's a week trip, I usually just hand carry everything. Now I need to add few hours on to both ends of the trip.

I wonder how we can all get together and force BAA to lift these silly restrictions. It's not the size that matters, it's whats being carried.

I realized that living out here in the UK, everyone wants to make changes but where do we start?

Curtis

#9 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:42 AM

I hate to post a political answer. But if the Government admitted there was no longer a threat then we would all get back to questionning various issues of foreign policy. Much better to keep us all scared - stops us questionning decisions.

Alex

#10 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:32 AM

edit...

bad joke and too lazy to come up with a new one....

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#11 SilvioMarchena

SilvioMarchena

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

It figures! I'll be flying out in 2 weeks and have a G4 Powerbook. I think they are definately over reacting. I know some of the Dell's have caught fire and a recall was issued, but never heard of a Mac catching fire. They just run hot.

If Apple says this to their customers, which they do in their current battery recall regarding specific model numbers: "Apple urges you to stop using your battery, remove it from your system, and order a replacement battery immediately." Why should the airlines feel comfortable with having Apples and Dells in operation in the cabin? Should they wait until the first fire starts or should they be proactive and heed the caution shown by the computer makers?

Both Dell and Apple have been issuing recalls on certain Lithium Ion batteries with Sony cells for over 3 years now. These are the sites for their current recalls (the Apple recall deals with only batteries from G4 laptops, though not every battery from every G4 on the market):

http://www.apple.com...hange/2006/faq/

http://www.dell.com/.......l=en&s=corp
Cheers,
Manaul

D2x in Seacam w Z-240s or SS200s, superdome and flat port, S45 and S180, 10.5, 12-24, 14, 17-35, 60, 105, 200, Seacam Wet Diopters