• This topic is locked This topic is locked
267 replies to this topic

#261 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:44 AM

People, before you bemoan the housing manufacturers, you should look at the 2 sibling cameras, the FX7 and V1. The height is a bit higher for the V1. Thus if they were to offer the viewfinder, it'd be a completely different rear bulkhead. It's just not cost effective.
Gates deals with the problem with a simple clear window with no magnification.
A similar design was the old S&S VX2k housings which had interchangeable parts for a VF or monitor. It did limit the depth rating on the housing though.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#262 Roger Eve

Roger Eve

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Amateur u/w videography. Warm Waters only :-)
    Sailing, Flight Simulation....
    Enjoying a healthy (so far) retirement :-))

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

Gates deals with the problem with a simple clear window with no magnification.

Drew, have you seen a close-up of the Gates Housing for the FX7, I have looked at the Marine Visions views, but it is not clear enough to see the style of the view-finder.

Thanks

Roger
Roger "Bones" Eve - Arundel England

#263 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

My first housing was an AquaVideo for a Minolta 8mm cam in 1987 I think it was. We've come a long way since then. I haven't used an AV housing since but Mary Lynn bought one last year for the Z1 and while she said it was ok, she also told me the optics were definitely not the greatest. She hasn't used the Z1 at all for uw work since and uses the A1-U in a L & M housing which she loves.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#264 Roger Eve

Roger Eve

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Amateur u/w videography. Warm Waters only :-)
    Sailing, Flight Simulation....
    Enjoying a healthy (so far) retirement :-))

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:51 AM

John from Gates kindly responded to my question on the iewfinder for the FX7 housing as follows:-

The housing viewfinder is a simple non-magnified window that accommodates the height difference between the FX7 and V1. With the rubber boot removed the viewfinder image as observed through the window is actually one of the best we've seen from Sony. If you're accustomed to shooting this way I expect you'll be pleased.

For those that aren't our new EM43 hi res monitor is available. Like all Gates monitors it is mounted to the top (or side) of the housing for flexibility. You can move and pivot the monitor in any direction for comfortable shooting.

I then asked about the spacing between the camera and the filter re the use of a w/a converter, he repiled as follows:-

The short answer is: none. The filter rides immediately in front of the camera, so adding a w/a converter onto the camera prohibits use of the filter.

The reason it's positioned this way may not be apparent, but very important. It's because of the SWP fathom port must be placed as close to the camera as possible (much like your w/a lens that affixes to the camera). By doing so the port achieves 'no compromises' performance, and we can hold alignment tolerances very tightly (which is necessary to preserve that performance). So, a very small gap (4mm) is allowed between port and camera for the filter.

That said, I expect you can use the w/a converter, just not with a filter.

Thanks to John for his help and not intruding on our Forums

Joe from Marine Visions also responded with a close up of the viewfinder which confirms John's comments. Thanks Joe.

Roger
Roger "Bones" Eve - Arundel England

#265 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:39 AM

It behooves all in the market for a housing to do proper research and decide what features are essential. Adding a viewfinder is not the same as adding a function button, especially since the cameras are of different height.
There are no perfect solutions. Electronics vs manual, optics vs weight vs balance, all are factors to consider in choosing a housing. And that's after you first choose a camera. :)
Each housing has features or functions that are unique in implementation, just like every camera and format for that matter.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#266 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:20 AM

Althought I am sure the Fathoms lens is fantastic, because of the price, I still plan on experimenting with a W/A converter 1st.

I figure I can sandwich a filter inbetween the converter and camcorder or put a filter on the front of the converter. I'll have to see how much room their is between the camcorder and the dome port.

Edited by ronrosa, 05 May 2007 - 06:23 AM.

#267 videodan

videodan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:47 AM

Sharksaver, congratulations on your new housing. I hope you enjoy it, and I'm sure you will get some great shots with it. Fogging was never an issue for me. Make sure you never open the housing in an outside, humid environment. Also, never leave the housing out in direct sunlight.
Steve, the only optics with an AquaVideo (AV) housing are what you choose to put in it. There are internal lens options, and external port options. Mine had a glass dome port, and a Sony High Grade Wide Angle Lens on the camera, with a URPro CC filter sandwitched in between (Ron), that worked very well. My images were razor sharp with this combination. I will definitely have (AV) as an option when the XDCAM EX comes out. AV also makes some very nice custom aluminum housings.
Dan
Daniel Deck
Light & Motion Bluefin HD, Sony FX1, L&M HID's
Previous: AquaVideo FX1, L&M Bluefin Pro V900

#268 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:05 AM

Ok this thread is getting too long and right about now, it's getting to be the housings for the cameras. So I'm closing this thread:
If there is any new pertinent info, the staff will add it to this thread. Otherwise, please start a new thread.

Here you can find the official Amphibico Endeavor Housing thread for the FX7/V1:

Amphibico Endeavor thread

Drew