Video on a MAC

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

Hi.
I have been sent a old Power Book G4 to convert some graphics on so I can use them on a PC for a project but is there a direct Quick Time link without itunes that I can download and install to watch H.264 file with? It has OS 9.2 loaded on it.

Next can I download a player to play wmv9 files on it as well?

I really don't know how you guys use these things :unsure: .

I suppose Apple being Apple... I have to have the latest operating system on it to play the files or something silly like that :D

Im going to downlaod a trial of Photoshop for it..suppose I need the latest operating system for that to run as well..... <_<

Cheers :rolleyes:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:30 PM

Har Har

Im sorry, you need to have Mac OS X v.10.2.8 or higher on your G4 to install Photoshop CS.....

Thankyou from APPLE that will be another $130 US to install the next OS...to run photoshop CS....

No wonder I don't own one of these things.... <_< :rolleyes: :unsure:
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:25 PM

Hehe, just try running Photoshop CS on Windows 98... :rolleyes:

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#4 saeedrashid

saeedrashid

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:10 AM

Hi.
I have been sent a old Power Book G4 to convert some graphics on so I can use them on a PC for a project but is there a direct Quick Time link without itunes that I can download and install to watch H.264 file with? It has OS 9.2 loaded on it.

Next can I download a player to play wmv9 files on it as well?

What is it exactly you are trying to do??? Maybe I can help?

OS 9 was released in 1999 and was superseded in 2002 and as such has been officially unsupported since Dec 2001 with the final release of 9.2.2.. In effect you are using an OS which was released at the same as Windows 98. Obviously since then the Mac OS has progressed and now being based on Unix is one of the most stable and secure operating systems in the world, as a result all the Apps have had to go through a major revision and development to keep up with applications and the core technologies underpinning the OS..

As a result H264 playback is only available in OS X versions of QuickTime due to it's reliance on key technologies..

http://www.apple.com...ayer/specs.html

You should find older versions of Quicktime here however:

http://www.oldversio...php?n=quicktime

The classic (OS9) version of windows media can be found here but I have no ideas a to the full extent of CODEC support

http://www.microsoft...71/default.aspx

Again due to the core technologies built into OS X a lot of the graphics work in Photoshop is handled but the GPU rather than the CPU hence new versions...

Edited by saeedrashid, 08 September 2006 - 12:11 AM.

Saeed

#5 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:11 AM

It is very annoying to have to buy software for a Mac when all around there are people with hacked versions on their PCs - but then they also get viruses and trojans for free too!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#6 saeedrashid

saeedrashid

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:21 AM

It is very annoying to have to buy software for a Mac when all around there are people with hacked versions on their PCs - but then they also get viruses and trojans for free too!

People also get "hacked" versions for their Mac's... But true in 15 years I've only ever seen 2 viruses and all they did was sit there nothing cashed or stoped working, but the time will come..
Saeed

#7 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:01 AM

I ordered another copy of CS2 Photoshop from Jigsaw for some other Macs we have but my little boy claimed he could hack a version before it arrived. It took him two days and he walked into my office with the full nine yards of CS2 creative Suite on six CDs taken through the Internet just after the Special Delivery packet was being opened. (We didn't use it, of course.)
Thank goodnesss he isn’t interested in destructiver software!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#8 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:18 AM

Thanks for those links to old version of QT etc, will go and get them to try.
It might just be easier to take pics of all the products I need digitized for the editing job.

Well Photoshop 7 still runs on Win98 and so does Dreamweaver along with other programs I still use.

Yes PC's get bugs but it only takes like 15 mins to do a complete reload of all my operating system if I get hit. Have not used virus or bug software in 6 years :unsure:

Cheers :rolleyes:

#9 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:34 AM

Getting back to your original question...

Yes, it is possible to download Quicktime only, without iTunes.

But only for Windows!

(How's that for irony :P )

Just throw the iTunes app in the trash after it installs.

Well Photoshop 7 still runs on Win98

But does Photoshop CS run on win 98??? Apples with apples and all (pun not intended).
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#10 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:05 AM

Har har...

No I never did try CS on 98SE.
There is MPEG Stream Clip that plays H.264 on a PC, will see if there is a MAC OS 9.2 version as well.

Anyhow I think I sorted out the problem....I just put the G4 laptop back into it's carring case..best place for it and will just take pics of the products with the D70/speedlight. ;) :P

#11 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:27 AM

Oops! getting perilously like another religious war here!

Wags, I converted over to Macs for video editing about 18 months ago after nothing but problems with video apps and a lifetime of Win95, Win98, Win2000, WinXP etc

Although anyone who says they never get issues with their Apple is a bald faced liar, I have to say that having pretty much dedicated my Quad to video, my editing life has bee soo much easier. Final Cut Studio rocks.

I still have er ... 3 Win PCs and a laptop for various stuff, book keeping, business apps, games and the like, but I hardly ever use them for vids any more. Oh yes, my Win2000 PC is in pieces at the moment as I try to fix another major crash - looks like I need to buy a new one again, this time with XP professional or summat.... geesh

BTW have you seen the low light capabilities of the Macs? :P

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#12 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:13 AM

I do aggree that MACS are plug and play where as you have to set up a PC correct and if you don't you will have problems, but you have so many more software/hardware options and it's allot cheaper.

#13 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:22 AM

Totally agree that there are a lot more Windows apps (not sure about the cheaper - in the long run); which is why I maintain both systems. But for multimedia editing etc I'd have to say Apple has the edge. Why do you think all the pro editing and graphics studios are Mac?

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#14 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:32 AM

Totally agree that there are a lot more Windows apps (not sure about the cheaper - in the long run); which is why I maintain both systems. But for multimedia editing etc I'd have to say Apple has the edge. Why do you think all the pro editing and graphics studios are Mac?

Errr down boy... MANY but not all. There are more non Mac based Avid machines out there and also Discreet and Autodesk are mostly PC based. The scale is much different than the installed base figures but Windows has made inroads in publishing (which was a mac stronghold). If ALL graphics design houses went Mac, Adobe wouldn't release Windoze versions of Creative Suite. FCP did do alot in kicking Adobe out of the editing market though.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#15 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:02 AM

I have to weight in here.

For graphics work, the Mac absolutely does NOT have the edge at the moment. Pretty much everything is out for Windows as well, and Windows doesn't have the problem of Rosetta-emulated software at the moment (crippled Photoshop, etc.).

However, video on a Windows notebook computer is not an easy thing to do. In my opinion, it's pretty much broken, which is to say that a guy with two computer science degrees can't get it to work. :P I'm sure there exist notebooks out there that just work, but more often than not I've seen big problems trying to get cameras to talk to PC card / Expresscard firewire cards.

For example, I've had two Thinkpads, and both of them *sometimes* talk to my A1u when using a Firewire PC card. Expresscard firewire ports don't talk to my video cameras, though, and neither of the computers have ever worked with my Z1u even when I've installed a new OS on its own partition just for video.

Two weeks ago, my Thinkpad stopped working altogether with my A1u. More often that not, testing involves voodoo that people on the web swear by. "Oh, you have to turn your computer off, plug in your camcorder, turn the computer on, turn the camcorder on..." etc. etc. This is crap! Plug it in, and it should just work. It doesn't.

These are not isolated incidents. Many other people I've met on the road who try to use their notebooks as editing machine report similar problems.

My desktop PC works just fine.

Still, I'm getting a Mac, and will suck up the slow Photoshop issue until Adobe releases Universal binaries.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#16 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:08 AM

Ok If you're going mac, then I'm getting married next year.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#17 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:48 AM

Still, I'm getting a Mac, and will suck up the slow Photoshop issue until Adobe releases Universal binaries.

Get a MacPro and boot into Windows for PS via Bootcamp, then reboot into MacOS for video. Best of both worlds until Adobe comes to the party. The intel macs cold boot in something like 20 seconds, so it is not all that onerous to do this.

There's a lot to be said for missing out a technology cycle or two. My MacBook is so godawfulfast compared to the G4 it replaced, I'm not bothered in the slightest by PS running under Rosetta.

Hey Drew: Congrats mate !!! B)

Edited by Craig Ruaux, 09 September 2006 - 09:49 AM.

Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#18 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:02 AM

Ok If you're going mac, then I'm getting married next year.

Mac Pro was shipped out yesterday. Ordering a MacBook once Merom updates are announced.

What's your wedding date? :P
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#19 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:13 AM

My son said it:

PCs are for the sort of people who like to buy a kit car and spend time building it and rebuilding it. Macs are for people who just want to turn the key and go. I know about the same about computers as I do about cars but I've driven a long way so far. I'm off now!

#20 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:30 AM

Errr ;) :P I'm off to a wedding today... I'll tell you how I feel about such things.
Wait you have to be running OS X... not windoze.

Drew