publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#22 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:48 PM

Eric, for Windows applications I think Parallels is a better option than Bootcamp. You don't need to reboot the system, and you will not be emulating (like the old Virtual PC), so you have full use of the machine.

But now that all Apple machines are Intel, I think Adobe and others will start upgrading their software.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#23 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6177 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:56 PM

Drew, do we get invited to the wedding? is it free booze?

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#24 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:53 PM

Eric, for Windows applications I think Parallels is a better option than Bootcamp.

Parallels has some issues with the Xeon chips in the MacPro's, and does not run reliably on these machines, if at all. An update is in the works, but there is not ETA for this update, as discussed here. It seems to be a bit of a crapshoot at the moment if it will work on not on any particular machine. Parallels also has fairly poor support for USB devices.

Edited by Craig Ruaux, 09 September 2006 - 02:54 PM.

Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#25 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:43 PM

Craig - they announced compatibility a few days ago:
http://parallelsvirt...n.blogspot.com/
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#26 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:43 PM

Interesting... I never used Parallels and didn't know about these issues. But it seems to be a relatively new software and apparently they constantly release updates to fix problems. Let's just wait and see where it goes.

Are the only two options Parallels and BootCamp?

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#27 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:50 AM

Hey this took topic took off, you guys lost me on ya Mac stuff.

All I know is build a PC system from stratch, configure everthing to be saved to another partion or drive (never save anything to ya c: ever again) and then make a complete image of your operating drive to a single compressed file. Then at the first sign of trouble, boot off ya floppy and lay the compresed file over the operating drive, make a cup of coffee, drink it, restart the computer and then away you go, perfect again :P Its so easy that you can do it everyday so you start off with a perfect sytem every day.

KISS

I have no editing program on a laptop but have used Edius (very good) and Premiere Pro on one with external hardrive and it worked very well indeed. You plugged the firewire feed from the camera into the external drive itself which itself was connected to the computer fire a firewire cable.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#28 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:17 PM

They haven't announced Merom yet, Drew.

They will on Sept 16. :P

Drew, do we get invited to the wedding? is it free booze?

Well I've always wanted a wedding (if that ever happens) with immediate family only. After attending a friend's wedding this weekend I want that even more. The woman drinks (too much), I don't but I suppose every wedding will have some alcohol. Maybe we'll go to China for the wedding and go to the biggest sharks fin restaurant and NOT order any.

All I know is build a PC system from stratch, configure everthing to be saved to another partion or drive (never save anything to ya c: ever again) and then make a complete image of your operating drive to a single compressed file. Then at the first sign of trouble, boot off ya floppy and lay the compresed file over the operating drive, make a cup of coffee, drink it, restart the computer and then away you go, perfect again ;) Its so easy that you can do it everyday so you start off with a perfect sytem every day.

Wags if I had to restore my boot drive everytime there was a problem I'd throw the machine away (recycled of course :) )

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#29 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:42 PM

Eric,
I can't agree more with you about the connectivity and compatibility issues of PCs and video. I could not get my newish highend "SONY" notebook to recognize my "SONY" FX1. Two advanced IT professionals gave it all they had and failed. I then found all kinds of forums talking about really random and crazy workarounds. None worked.

In addition to this, authoring DVDs requires a CSE degree in my opinion on the PC. Worse yet, they are frequently less compatible on PCs than DVDs authoried on Macs. This is all my experience. I worked for some time in Adobe Premiere. I liked it a lot. But, Adobe's effforts to tie it to photoshop were weak in my opinion. Also, once i left the app and went to DVD, things often broke.

Finally i gave up, took some good advice and bought a MacBook Pro. It was the best decsion i made for editing. The integrated suite of Final Cut, Motion, DVD Studio and Soundtrack are unrivaled in the industry. End to end video solution and really tight. And unlike many Mac apps, this software lets you geek out as much as any PC solution adn really dig under the hood if you want to. If you don't, std Mac plug and play is right before you.
To be clear, i am not a Mac fanatic and use a PC everyday. For still photography, i contiue to use a PC and photoshop and have no issues. For business applications, PC all the way. For video, Mac has this one in the bag.
My 2 cents.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#30 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:12 PM

Yes PC's get bugs but it only takes like 15 mins to do a complete reload of all my operating system if I get hit.

And 3 days to download the security updates.

Mac Pro was shipped out yesterday. Ordering a MacBook once Merom updates are announced.

It is getting very cold under my feet. I think the devil is buying a new thick coat. :lol:

Really Adobe is to blame here. Adobe was kept in the loop from Apple and there's no reason they should of skipped a year on their development schedule. Many graphics pros are having to run out and buy G5's to get performance in CS2 right now. I looked into a new machine recently and after reading the reviews found the PS is running at the same speed as my G4 1Mhz. So I opted for a 1.6mhz upgrade card and will wait it out till next year.

Jack
Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line -
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean: Above & Below
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#31 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:51 PM

A after market firewall keeps controls of ins and outs, have not downloaded any patches since building my PC systems.

I suppose this is what I like.... Here I am encoding a HDV file out of Premiere Pro while a second encoder is encoding a HDV avi into wmv while I'm in Dreamweaver working.....and uploading a 260 meg file to the server with a FTP program......and with wetpixel open...he he....be it abit slow...
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au