• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gen

Gen

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:04 AM

I just wanted to ask for some feedback for a 5 minute film-short I've been working on. If you have the time, please visit In Silence to the Sea. On the web page, the film will be the "short version" on the top right hand side. The film showcases a selection of underwater shots all taken on a breathhold dive, as a way to try to introduce the viewer to the unique persective of a freediver in the ocean. The shots include clips of bottle-nose dolphins, groupers, and kingfish, from a variety of locations.

#2 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:20 AM

I just wanted to ask for some feedback for a 5 minute film-short I've been working on. If you have the time, please visit In Silence to the Sea. On the web page, the film will be the "short version" on the top right hand side. The film showcases a selection of underwater shots all taken on a breathhold dive, as a way to try to introduce the viewer to the unique persective of a freediver in the ocean. The shots include clips of bottle-nose dolphins, groupers, and kingfish, from a variety of locations.

As someone who is a hardcore freediver and video shooter/editor, I expected to see much more freediving and interaction with freedivers and the environment - I think that the attempt is a good one, but I became bored with the footage. There wasn't interaction, there didn't seem to be a common thread within the footage.

To see someone at the surface with splitfins was the capper for me - this is a video about freediving, yet, splitfins are useless for freediving - yet they are represented here in the video piece.

The titles were well done, and I did like the b/w effect used at the beginning, but I found the soundtrack not appropriate for the footage - it was almost too relaxing. Anyone who truly freedives appreciates the almost mystical quality of being immersed on a single breath. I would have done it differently, but each shooter has a eye and sense of what they want from their concept.

Noticed you gave credit to Kirk and the rest of the gang over at PFI, what was their involvement in the project?

If you want, come on over to UWDV.COM where video is the only thing we talk about and right now, I shoot video while freediving 100% of the time.

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

"To live the liquid life is to experience the rehabilitation of our bodies and minds as they evolve in the underwater world by not using any form of mechanical breathing apparatus - this is the essence, the purity of purpose of freediving." - Aharon Solomons

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:21 AM

Hey Cliff,
Several times when I have gone to your site and clicked on Forums, nothing comes up but a blank page. Sometimes I can get to it when a message comes up that says it moved and provides me with a new click to click. This morning, just a blank page.
Thought you should know.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:27 AM

Hey Cliff,
Several times when I have gone to your site and clicked on Forums, nothing comes up but a blank page. Sometimes I can get to it when a message comes up that says it moved and provides me with a new click to click. This morning, just a blank page.
Thought you should know.
Steve B)

Must be the full moon or something... I was just on the forums posting through Opera and had no problems - you using Safari on a MAC???

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

"To live the liquid life is to experience the rehabilitation of our bodies and minds as they evolve in the underwater world by not using any form of mechanical breathing apparatus - this is the essence, the purity of purpose of freediving." - Aharon Solomons

#5 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:14 PM

Guys -- please keep discussion about other forums to PM or on those forums themselves. It is totally off topic here.

We are ok with links out to other forums, but only if the links are to specific threads, and only if there is unique content there.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#6 Gen

Gen

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:33 PM

I'm pretty sure the only fins represented are longbladed Picasso fins. Are you sure you're looking at the right film? The video in question is the "shortened version" on the top right hand side of the website. The "Original Cut" hasn't been updated for a long time . . . due to time constraints.
Thanks for the feedback. I live in Kyoto where it is more difficult to find people who edit underwater footage, so I need to see how things look from the perspective of someone who is used to taking footage in the ocean.

#7 kriptap

kriptap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

What freediving? I just watched the 5min version and saw one guy for 2 seconds?