Oceanic Veo 250....anyone got one?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:57 PM

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on the Veo 250. I just got one and am curious to hear some usage reports. The reports on the web are all over the map.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#2 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:39 AM

These Oceanic computers are very out-of-state with European ones. Who knows which is right? I'd rather go with the algorithms used by Suunto, Uwatec or even Seiko (Japan).

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#3 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:47 AM

I'm with JB on this.

It bothers me that even the Oceanic site doesn't make it clear which decompression model or algorithm these computers rely on. People (including people here) have different views as to whether they prefer Buhlmann-model based computers (most, including Seiko, OEM for the otherwise identifical wrist computers marketed by Apeks, DiveRite, and others) or RGBM (Suunto and I think a few others). But whatever one's preference, one would like to know.

One review I've seen stated that the Veo 250 and other Oceanic computers use a pre-Bulhmann "Haldanean" algorithm that is "more liberal" than DCIEM, Buhlmann or RGBM. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. But if it is the case, then this would be a negative for me, but not necessarily for you.

See http://www.scubadivi...eek_and_sexy/5/ I couldn't find much in the way of serious reviews of this computer.

Frogfish (Robert Delfs)
Robert Delfs

Nikon D2X in Subal housing.
Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#4 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:15 AM

My very first side-by-side comparison test of computers resulted in Oceanic threatening legal action against me. That is why it is not archived on divernet with later tests. (http://www.divernet....ar/gtests.shtml) After that experience, I took care to make and keep photographs of all the computer displays, at crucial way-points during each dive, when I did these tests.
When Undercurrent recently published some of the content from one of these tests, they had the same reaction from that company. They contacted me and when I revealed that I keep all the photographs safely filed, the legal action against Undercurrent went away.
Of course, I am certainly not saying that ANY computer manufacturer uses an inherently unsafe algorithm. What I do say is that the information displayed on some computers regarding decompression requirements varies greatly to others.
You pay your money and make your choice. No computer manufacturer will guarantee that you will not suffer decompression illness while using its product.

Attached Images

• 36_37_3.jpg

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#5 Notorious

Notorious

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:24 AM

I've always steered clear of oceanic computers. A friend's 'Atom'?? always seemed to get confused at 35M+ coupled some moody reviews http://www.divernet....03/comps2.shtml

oh.......see above, I think
Canon 350D:Sigma 10-20mm:Magic filter:Sea&sea housing:Athena dome:
BlueNude

#6 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:28 AM

"Haldanean" algorithm that is "more liberal" From what I've read you would be right.

John,
I read your write up and needless to say it concerned me. I acquired this after purchasing a much cheaper computer that they no longer had in stock so they gave me a "free" upgrade. He also offered me the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus II for a C-note more than I paid which was still a huge bargain. I have initially told him the Veo 250 would be fine without doing any research. Since, I'm having some 2nd thoughts.
Gary

#7 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I got ahold of the dive shop and paid the extra money to get a Datamax Pro Plus II instead of the Veo. The reads/reviews were much better on that computer than the veo 250.
Gary

#8 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 04:11 PM

Over the yrs I have owned 5 Oceanic computers. Currently we dive with the Oceanic Pro Plus and I use the VE0 250 as a backup when I solo dive. I have always been happy with their product and the one time I had an issue customer service handled it fairly. Issue was I had an air-integrated, hoseless computer that once I got into photography the signal cut out on all the time. The unit was coming up on 2yrs old and the agreed to replace it with a new hosed(?) unit at no cost.

I have only done 6-7 deco dives but to date have been very happy with Oceanic product.

Edited by NWDiver, 16 September 2006 - 04:13 PM.

#9 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:03 AM

I seem to remember that in the manual is states that the algorithm for the Oceanic was derived from research using data from divers doing no-stop (no decompression) dives to a maximum of 30m (100ft).
That is where the problems might arise. These computers may not be suitable for divers who go deeper and who do decompression-stop dives.
They are undoubtedly very popular in the American market and I am sure that if you use them within the parameters for which they were originally designed, there will be no problem.
Remember, no computer manufacturer can promise their products can safeguard you from decompression illness.