• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:57 PM

OK, I'm a total amateur hobbyist and most of my videos follow the typical vacation music video with shaky footage and non original music.

Anyway, after seeing the photographers doing black and white I decided to experiment a little.

I figured B&W would make things look more dramatic on a nice big wreck. Add in some Pink Floyd and here it is.

Fire away on the comments and critiques. :P

Right click and "save target as" to download.

B&W

#2 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1975 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:08 PM

Well, that's one way of hiding white balance issues ;)

Actually Ron it's nice. I especially like the shot at around 1:25 with the light coming through and the dark corners vanishing into my media player's black background.

What would be really cool would be for the video to burst into colour and high-action at the 1:59 mark where Gilmour kicks in with the lead guitar. I might even nick that idea for myself :P

I remember the beautiful B&W sequence at the start of the Big Blue. It can really work well. Especially if followed by glorious technicolor.

#3 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:25 PM

Hey cool...great idea....no more WBing.....
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#4 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:18 AM

Awesome! I love that band. And yes b/w makes these great wreck scenes much more dramatic. However, for a longer piece, I'd suggest using b/w sparingly, rather than the whole production. I think the b/w jumps out dramatically as frames within a colour prod. The frames can be expanded to full frame when needed. It's all personal of course and just my two penneth.

Nice stuff! I love great viz like this as well .....

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#5 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:07 PM

I agree, I really liked the deep saturation of the blacks. To introduce color would be a matter of timing and purpose. Think, sometime in the future, I will try it myself and see what I can come up with. Good effort Ron.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#6 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:40 AM

Hi Ron

Loved the vid. I thought that you nailed the contrast, which is important to get right when you play around with black and white and the result to me looked pretty spectacular. Sure were some nice wrecks there! :lol:

Cheers, Simon