#1 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1251 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:12 PM

I'll be going out to do a week on the Truk Odyssey in Nov. and was passing through Guam. Has anyone done any camera shopping there? I probably only have time to shop at the airport. Looking at a Nikon D80 or Canon 400xTi and lenses, etc.

Any recent experiences appreciated.

TIA,
Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#2 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:27 PM

I will go through the airport in Guam next month and I can check it out for you. But I doubt it will be any cheaper, and usually they don't have much selection...

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:51 PM

Also check the warranty status of the country you buy in. Cameras don't have international warranties. Lenses do.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:51 AM

Drew... Guam is USA....

Jack, everyone i know in Guam buys at B&H or adorama, as do i...

cuz Guam is pricey...

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:07 AM

whoops didn't pay attention to where Jack is from. Dunno why he'd think an island in the middle of the pacific would be cheaper than NYC/NJ prices. I thought he was from Micronesia or something. :P

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1251 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:57 AM

whoops didn't pay attention to where Jack is from. Dunno why he'd think an island in the middle of the pacific would be cheaper than NYC/NJ prices. I thought he was from Micronesia or something. :P

Uhh, because it is duty-free dude. And everyone is getting full list for D80s and 400xTi's right now. Yeah, I doubt it is very much of a deal, but just thought I'd see. Yeah, Luiz that'd be great if you'd post what you see.

Jack

Edited by JackConnick, 11 September 2006 - 10:58 AM.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#7 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:42 PM

I must be missing on what the deal is with "duty free". I haven't paid a duty fee on anything I have ever bought in the United States just prior to traveling.

I think duty free means: "We charge way more $ because we have to pay exhorbitant retail space lease fees at the airport, but we'll dupe travelers into thinking they're getting a good deal by claiming it is duty free even though they could get it WAY cheaper from B&H and won't have to pay duties anyway"
Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:58 PM

:P Dave, when they start posting PFS(profit free shop) instead of DFS I'll start buying expensive goods at the airport shops. By the way, there is import duty for cameras and the like, 6+% if I'm not wrong. But that is applied at the importer distributor level, not retail.
Jack, didn't mean to make fun of you but if you factor in shipping to guam from distributors you'll see there's no way it's going to be cheaper.

Drew

#9 SilvioMarchena

SilvioMarchena

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:13 PM

I think duty free means: "We charge way more $ because we have to pay exhorbitant retail space lease fees at the airport, but we'll dupe travelers into thinking they're getting a good deal by claiming it is duty free even though they could get it WAY cheaper from B&H and won't have to pay duties anyway"

I'd imagine the importers/distributors B&H buys their cameras and lenses from pay some import duties, and I'd bet that amount is included in the cost B&H pays the importer, and the cost you and I pay B&H. There are quotas and import levels, but in the end we all get duty-dinged to some extent. If you have purchased a Japanese camera in the US, you have paid whatever duty your own government charged the importer for that piece.
Cheers,
Manaul

D2x in Seacam w Z-240s or SS200s, superdome and flat port, S45 and S180, 10.5, 12-24, 14, 17-35, 60, 105, 200, Seacam Wet Diopters

#10 jarhed

jarhed

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA/Underwater Photography<br />Travel

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:00 PM

I lived in Guam a few months last year and while I found some very good prices on some scuba gear, i also found a limited stock. you may find that what you want is not on the island if you are choosy.

Take the oppertunity to dive while you are there if there is time, thereare many great sites and lots of real history there!.

John
John B
Nikon D7000, Nauticam Housing
http://overundertravels.smugmug.com/