9 replies to this topic

#1 ajay

ajay

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:30 AM

There is occasional mention of Sangalaki here -- I have a brief report and
some photos from diving in that area from August 06.
I hope it is not a breach of protocol to merely link my own page (below)
rather than enter it all here.

Also (sorry to mix topics), some folks have asked about the Canon S80.
The gallery has pictures taken with an Oly5050 and some with an S80,
sometimes of the same subject. Hope it gives some idea what's the least
you can expect from these cams :-).

Sorry if the pages load a bit slow, I prefer larger image files.

Derawan and Sangalaki Dive Trip, Aug 06

Best,
Ajay.

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:52 AM

Nice catch on the mandarins Ajay. Esp with the shutter lag.

The "night" pygmy seahorses look like the H. Pontohi. They are also active in the day and are actually not as rare as once thought, just hard to find.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 ajay

ajay

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:21 AM

... The "night" pygmy seahorses look like the H. Pontohi. They are also active in the day and are actually not as rare as once thought, just hard to find.

Thanks.. I found some more discussion another website, and have
put a mention of this (with your handle) on my page -- hope that's ok.

Ajay.

#4 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:58 AM

Hey, its great to see Baracuda Point is still performing, were there any other big schools of fish on that site, how is the reef around there now and how is the jellyfish lake these days?

I have very fond memories of diving with my good old friend Mr Agus... a very knowledgable local fisherman who knows more about that area than anyone. He used to work for Derawan Redort, in fact it was this guy who showed the owner of the resort the sites they now dive regularly, to have this guy as your boat captain was a dream, he knew exactly where I would come up after each dive, even when the current was ripping. Thinking back its like it was yesterday, I still remember all the dives over that way very clearly.

I am sure they are what may eventually be called H. pontohi, I also have a few of them that can be seen at http://www.diving4im...sh_gallery.html... Oh dear there is even a pair that Scubadru himself shot!

So glad you had a great time over there in Kalimantan...

#5 Rin

Rin

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:24 PM

:lol: :lol:
Great report!! I've been there in May this year, I stayed in another resort called "Maratua Paradise" which, as the name implied, is located on Maratua.
The East Kalimantan is a great dive sites and I already planned to pay another visit there next year.
May check out my photos here: Ringo's East Kalimantan Photos

I felt quite disappointed for our group missed the manta galore(a good reason for a come-back trip), but we managed to see large school of barracudas. By the time I visited there. the water is as calm as a pond and the surface was as quiet as a mirror!! Simply incredible!!

#6 ajay

ajay

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:40 AM

Hi Graham,
It's definitely the same species of pygmy as on your site. I don't recall
Mr. Agus, though we did dive once with their senior guide, Dharma, who's been
at Derawan since it started, and whose name marks the site 'Dharma point'.

About the reef: some sites (esp in the fast current sites near Sangalaki and Maratua)
had regions with broken hard coral; can't say what caused it. The reef life is pretty
prolific.

At Derawan, there was a European group, one of whom was doing (PhD?) research
on coral -- she claimed the count on coral species would run into three digits, at the
house reef.

Hey Ringo,
I love your barracuda swirl! We saw barracuda schools 3-4 times, but not
in large enough numbers to get a good swirl going. Next time, I hope :-).
Ajay.

#7 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:11 AM

Hey Ringo, you really did have a good time with those cuda's didn't ya! Was that at Baracuda Point or Big Fish Country, I think they call it that, it's really Maratua Channel! Mr Agus really knew where to drop in on that site and man did it perform, sharks, cuda, jacks, rays, the lots, even once I had a huge congregation of sailfin snappers and I mean thousands of them covering the whole bottom of the channel, it must have been a spawning time or something. From Maratua did you dive a wall section that drop to a deep undercut at about 45-50m, wow this was amazing twice I had schools of grey reefies, giant rays, eagle rays and jacks not bad for a rather unimpressive (at first glance) section of wall.

I have heard there are a few people working for conservation org's over there now, coral counts are the highest everywhere, the highest recorded is just beign announced from Irian Jaya, I am waiting the results on the two surveys very soon...

Wow Dharma is still there doing his stuff, I was actually a real cheapy backpacker when I was there and I stayed in the village, met Mr Agus who took to rent tanks and off we went on a 4 days adventure into the unknown. He knew exactly what I would see and he never dived! Whilst on Derawan I spent quite a evenings with Dharma and have to say I really got a great vibe him a true passionate fella and the heart and soul of Derawan Resort when I was hanging round there.

I will get over there one day; my Hunny wants to go so it will happen one day!

Thanks for all your images highlighting this fantastic area to me again...

#8 Rin

Rin

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:26 AM

:blink: yeah, the barracudas were great!! I can't recall where did I exactly take these cudas pics, but I'm sure they're taken in Maratua.
I look forward to my second visit there!! And hopefully I can encount the manta galore in Sangalaki!!

#9 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:51 AM

I really like the shrimp on the anemome...nice negative space with eye-popping color on the shrimp.
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#10 Seriola

Seriola

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Scientific/Research Diving, Marine Ecology, Jellyfish culturing/collecting, Aquarium Science

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:10 AM

Very cool shot of the jelly... can't tell if that's waste or planulae. I dont know of a rhizostomae species that broods planulae, but who knows they aren't well enough studied yet.
Posted Image

Edited by Seriola, 25 September 2006 - 12:12 AM.

Wyatt Patry
Jellyfish Nut
Oly E330, Oly PT-E02 housing, 14-45 mm, 35 mm, Athena OPD-SZ14-42 Dome Port, Heinrich-Weikamp Bulkhead
http://jellyfishaquarist.com