Edius 3 Video Clip

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:47 AM

Here is a little clip I cut up today from the dive on the Exmouth Navy Pier.
The water was very very dirty, and we took down the Phenom and little EVO :blink:
The Phenom had those twin 24 wat HID Darkbusters on while the litte EVO have twin 10watt HIDs.

Anyhow check out the slow mo Edius can do, its super smooth and blows Premiere Pro away.
All animal shots were with the EVO except shots of the EVO and the last scene of the clip was with the Phenom.

It was sucked in and converted to Canopus HQ codec in realtime, edited in HDV then encoded out.

Its a 13 meg wmv file. 3.16min runtime
EVO/EDIUS CLIP EAR
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#2 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:39 PM

Awesome clip Wags - your bad viz kinda reminds me of a seriously good day under piers over here - but hey, it's all relative isn't it? :blink:

That slo-mo stuff is very cool.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to do the same sort of thing on a mac?
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#3 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:36 PM

Yeh the Pier is so dirty...but you do get your good days.

For slow mo, I'm not sure how good the MAC does..
I first used Edius 1 a few years ago and remembered wow how great the slow mo was. I will put up a larger demo of the slow mo in action.

The more I sit here using it the more I like it. Encoded out some full 1920/1080 wmv's and they look great. It even has its own lossless codec to output too but abit big to archive onto normal DVD disk but would be great on HD Data DISKs when it all gets cheaper.
Has a ton of effects, even 3D ones that can be keyframed and outputed some PAL & NTSC dvd files that seem to look okay. It comes with Procoder.

I'm going to contact them to see if they would like a review done on it.
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6166 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

stop spending my money Wags....

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:01 PM

Don't worry Mike, he's got an old version. Edius Pro is now at Version 4. :blink:

Anthony, Final Cut Pro has a very useful time blending tool.

Wags, I don't quite understand. It was converted in realtime to another codec but was edited in HDV?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:02 PM

Yes I see that, version 4..just had version 3 sititing on my drive from a previous download.

Drew, as it is firewired into the computer you can suck it in as raw 1440/1080 m2t to edit or it gets converted in realtime to Canopus HD codec 1440/1080 from 10 to 100mbps data rate. (You can pick you data rate) Then as soon as you finsh the caputure the file has been converted to the Canopus HD codec unlike Aspect HD which takes abit more time to convert to their avi codec once you finish the caputure.

Looking at it, it seems to handle open dirty water better than Cineforms 8bit Aspect HD codec can.

So you then edit in HDV 1440/1080 mode with the Canopus HD codec then encode out to whatever. It has its own lossless codec to encode out to for archiving. It really is a neat program once you get use to it.

You need a gusty graphics card with at least 128 megs on it.
Anything that has to be rendered because of too many effects etc just slows down as it plays through it, but still plays through it smoothly. :D

Big slow mo demo comming next. :blink:

#7 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:12 PM

I've been peaking at Canopus for several years. I was always impressed by it. I just never had the hardware to truly go for it. for the PC side, this is probably the best solution going. I really look forward to hearing/seeing your results as you use it more.
shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#8 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:34 PM

Nice vid Wags and yeah, those slo-mos are very smooth. You've got my attention re Edius. I'll try and do some Vegas slomos sometime to see how they compare.

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

Ok Wags
You really have to get your vernacular right. It's confusing otherwise. :blink:
What you are doing is editing in the Canopus HQ codec, not HDV as you said in your first post. Apparently Version 4 will allow 1920x1080. That should boost its market to DVC Pro HD realm. Also Canopus has 2 codecs for Edius 4. Canopus HQ for DV, HDV and Canopus HD for DVC Pro HD. These codecs act as intermediary codecs and are intraframe. 4:2:2

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#10 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:13 PM

Well you know....sorry to confuse
HDV 1440/1080 1.333 Aspect ratio
HD 1280/720 1 aspect ratio
HD 1920/1080 1 aspect ratio
Bla Blar Blar....

All know is their HD codec is really good and you can just pick ya data rate.

Anyhow here is footage shot with a HDV FX1 at night on 50 shutter speed.
Sucked into Edius with its realtime conversion to their HD codec at 30 gigs per hous rate. (I think)
Edit it in 1440/1080 timeline with the slow mo's and the two tittle graphics which by the way all played back in realtime without any rendering :blink:

Encoded out this 20 meg 1280/720 HD wmv9 file.
Slow Mo Clip Here

#11 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:36 AM

Thanks Drew and Wags! :blink:
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#12 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:19 AM

Wagsy, the slomo editing really interests me. I had to move the slomo clip over to my G5 to watch it because the data rate choked my little email computer. But the 10% rate is really smooth. And whatever motion blending is being applied (if any?) by the program doesn't seem to be softening the image any. Looks really good. Can you alter the slomo rate within a clip (to get that ramping effect where the motion accelerates or decelerates in the course of the clip)?

If I ever finish this over-due editing project here I'll try some ramping in FCP and see what it can do. In the meantime, thank you for putting up these samples as they set a really high standard for good slomo in my view!

Mary Lynn
http://DiveFilm.com

#13 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 05:44 PM

Hi Mary
No, unless I have not found it yet, you cannot seem to keyframe the slowmo, maybe in version 4?

Here is a link I found on Edius.
EDIUS TIPS

Im about to delete all my Aspect HD files and re import with the Canopus Codec, it's that good. I sucked in the same footage were I could see banding and stuff with Cineforms AVI codec but with Canopus it's sweet.

#14 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:16 PM

That's it..I have deleted all my Cineform AVI files and are going Edius from now on.

My 3GIG PC was just able to convert the HDV feed into the Canopus HD codec in realtime keeping the processor load at 90 to 100%. Once it's suck in you just edit the HD codec like any normal DV material. It really is amazing.

Here is a Whale Shark Clip with the footage slowed down by 50% with all graphics that I edited on Edius 3 which by the way played back all in realtime without any rendering on the timeline. I then just encoded out this file.
Whale Shark SLOW MO 50% 27meg wmv

It's a strange program to use but it does not take long to learn it's ways, but its very powerfull and I just keep laughing at what I can do editing the 1440/1080 material.

Let me know if anyone else has given it ago.

Goodbye Premiere Pro and Aspect HD :blink: :D

#15 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:01 AM

Here is some more info on Edius I thought would be good to share with you PC guys.

Encoding out m2t files for the HDV camera is a snap and the encoder is beter than Aspect HD and Main Concept Pro's...period...

It has a TS writer that sends the m2t file back to the HDV camera with an option of previewing the file before you send it and again once it's on the camera. Very good.

Screen grabs are automatically deinterlaced and set at 16.9. Just one click of a button and you have a perfect HDV 1.1 jpeg screen grab.

Making photo montages are a snap, took like 20 seconds to put like 50 pics on the timeline with fades between each one resized to fit in the window.

Batch capturing of HDV works really easy. Just wiz through the tape with the camera's remote control and click the buttons in Edius at the points you want then at the end of the tape push the batch caputure button and away it goes and grabs all the clips for you and converts them to Canopus HD codec in realtime then just just edit like DV.

Motion graphics are a snap and so are motion titles....all in real time....

Colour correction is a snap and very good, all in real time even with a title and colour correction and slow motion.....!!!!

NTSC and PAL DVD files straight from the timleine and even the NTSC looks very good coming from a PAL source.

Sound effects and controls work very easy with many options.

Close inspecting of the Canopus HD codec with on the same dirty underwater footage, shows it is better than Cineforms Aspect HD codec.

It has it's own lossless format to export to and archive... great for when HD DVD disks are out.

Import photoshop files, jpegs etc straight into the timleme and then keyframe/ motion/ effects all in real time.

It does not conform audio files like Premiere does on import.

I have a NVIDIA Quadro FX 560 pci express card coming to give me twin screens and real time output to a TV when editing.

If you are on a PC and you have a 3 gig processor with 128 megs of graphics power then I would take a serious look at this program for realtime editing of DV and 1440/1080 HDV.

About the only thing it failed on was exporting QT H.264 :blush: it crashed the encoder.... :D :lol: :P

#16 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6166 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:26 AM

damn you.. i have no money.... but i want this program!

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#17 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1378 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:23 PM

I'm looking at either upgrading my PC or jumping ship and buying a desktop Mac. Does anyone know how a Mac with FCP compares to the perfomance of Edius that Wags is describing?

Cheers Simon

#18 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:30 PM

Don't know a thing about MAC's there Simon...sorry..except my littel G4 looks great sitting in the cubboard :blush:

I have dug up abit more on Edius 3 though.
I found Title Motion and a very cool plugin for it called Heroglyph.
All of the graphic animations in Title Motion are realtime and allot of the effects found in Heroglyph are as well. Cool program.

Hows this... A 1440/1080 Video track with slow 50% motion and CC added and then two moving graphic pips with an animated title with no rendering on a normal 3 GIG PC...... :lol: just hit the space bar and it plays...then encode straight out to whatever except QT H.264... it crashes the encoder.... :P

Edius 4 looks like it can do variable slowmo on the fly and once again that Canopus HQ codec is very good beating Cineforms for sure.