Amphibico EVO Review

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:45 AM

Hi all

Well here is our full review on the little Amphibico EVO.
Posted Image

EVO HTML Version

EVO PDF Version

Hope it helps a few videoligists out.

Wags :blink:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#2 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

Hi all

Well here is our full review on the little Amphibico EVO.
Posted Image

EVO HTML Version

EVO PDF Version

Hope it helps a few videoligists out.

Wags :blink:

"Videoligists"? Great word Paul, dunno if it exists though.......

Nice review too. Cool pics and straightforward uncluttered.

Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#3 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

Great review. Thanks.

Was all the footage on the demo video shot with the EVO/A1 ? I assume everything was from the A1 except the shots of Kelly. I see some shadows on the macro shots, were these and/or other shots with lights ?

#4 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

Yes the shots in the clip except the 2 diver shots was all taken with the EVO.
There is another clip HERE from a very dirty dive on the Pier the other day, the very last shot of trevally and all the 2 diver shots was with the Phenom but the rest by the EVO.

Yes for the telemacro we were using lights. The little camera works well with lights on and in very clear water. The locking off the shutter and kicking back the AE abit helps it out as well. I think with the new 16.9 high res 2.5 inch LCD on and that 100 degree port they are working on will make it into a great compact little setup.
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#5 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:09 AM

I keep reading about the poor low light capabilites of the A1, but your whole video looked pretty awesome to me. Did you use lights on any of the other shots or just macro ?

#6 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

Hi Ron
The clip was from our dives on the dark dirty pier, so we used the lights for most of those shots. Will cut up a more natural light one soon but what did help was locking the shutter off and kicking the AE back in the menu by-1 or -2 as these little camera's for some reason crank the shutter up instead of closing the irus when on auto and they kick in the db gain allot to often which can make the image grainy. As soon as we locked off the shutter and set the AE we could keep control of the db gain and irus giving a better image etc.

It's still not as good as the larger HDV camera's but they are certainly capable of putting out a nice image and the new 100 degree lens that's coming is certainly going to help them.

:blink:

#7 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:22 PM

Excellent review Paul. Nice web site! :blush:

Having the EVO control accessibility must certainly help with the auto gain issue that you describe, and which I can attest to. I didn't have the ability to control this on my dives with my much simpler modified USVH 950 housing, hence the big low light issues I described in earlier posts.

I spoke to A1 enthusiast DeanB on his way through Singapore over the weekend prior to his week's wreck diving in the region (HMS Repulse etc) and he is using the EVO too. I'll be very interested to hear about his experiences when he returns this coming w/e.

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#8 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6179 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:17 AM

sorry you had to put up with Dean Nick.... :blush: :lol: :P

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#9 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:55 AM

He's OK Mike <_< I'm going to supply him with free beer this weekend, which remember you passed me up on! :blush:

Edited by NickJ, 19 September 2006 - 05:56 AM.

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#10 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6179 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:00 AM

i didn't pass up the free beer!!!!

i just suggested you move to Guam... :blush:

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#11 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:03 AM

Hey, a guy can get paranoid...

Free beer..Did I fall asleep at that point...

As I've only just walked into my house I have not had time to put my crazy week of diving onto a bigger screen. Although on the LCD the shallower stuff (reef at 17M) looked good.

But with no lights and down at 45-55M in a raging current it was a bit of a problem (sod carrying the Phenom in that) and all of the previous comments seem to come true, like W/B etc... But I will have a look over the next few days.

I'm off to bed now... :blush:

He's o.k...Bloody o.k <_< :blush:

Dive safe

Dean(Someone stop rocking the boat)B
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#12 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:20 AM

Oh and Great review Wags..

I'll put the suggested set-up into effect when I can..

You and Kelly are all smiles while holding the little one.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#13 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:54 PM

You went on the HMS Repulse and PoW without lights???:blush: Hmmm Dean, I think you had one too many while planning the trip. :blush:
Who'd you go with? I didn't think Vidar would've fixed the empress already but I haven't talked to him in a while.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#14 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:48 AM

Hi Drew,

Yeah, no lights...I was only taking the camera to test it on shallower dives but ended up dragging it down on every one. :blush: seeing how the shallowest at first was 46m...

I agree now looking at the footage 'Grain' is the word. A lot less without a filter which darkened it way to much. But holy hog it was bad in places. I'd love to look at a Z1's attempt without lights...

My buddy shone his torch on some coral just in front of me and that came out pretty good, so I'd love to have seen it coping with two big old HID's.

Had a quick look at the 20M reef dive we did off of Aur island. The viz was good, around 20M, with decent sunlight and it looked impressive. All the colours were natural looking the only problem was me racing around trying to fit everything into a 40min dive before we headed home. I left the cam runing W/B off my white slate and went nuts. Must admit there was a lack of schools of fish. Lovely coral formations with attendant little guys but not much in the way of bigger fish. Still compared to Stoney cove it was a real treat :blush:

We dived with the MV Mata Ikan. Organised by Jack Ingle.. A survey ship which was not up to Red sea liveaboard luxury (so i was told) but a good steady boat non the less. I had a blast.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#15 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:51 PM

So how did the EVO work out for you at the wrecks besides the obvious lack of light?
I've been on the PoW once with the venerable lowlight meister PD170 on a crappy viz day and I had grain there was acceptable at 58m. When there's no good light, cameras just don't work well period. Why would anyone want to even think of WB and filter at that depth with limited visibility?
What about the EVO controls at depth etc? Review man... review it. :blush:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.