• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Jesper64

Jesper64

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:37 AM

Inspired by this thread, I made my own zoom gear for my Tokina Fisheye lens today for a Sea & Sea Housing.

Cost me all of $2.00 and a couple of hours of my time.

Went to the local Bunnings (hardware store) and picked up a 75mm round down pipe. This fits very snugly around the zoom ring on the Tokina and doesn't need any extra padding on the inside. It also tapers slightly so you can push it in and will stay snug. Longest part of making this was cutting off the flange with a hacksaw.

IMAG0072.jpg

To make up the required diameter to reach the zoom gear on the housing I used a combination of some flexible magnets and those rubber bands people wear around their wrists.

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

The rubber grips the housing's zoom gear quite well and at the telephoto end once you reach the limit it won't turn further unless you really crank it but it does slip on the wide end when you reach it. I might try and find a toothed belt that will fit around it or may use velcro or have a go at making a tooth rack from polymorph.

Edited by Jesper64, 31 July 2011 - 05:42 AM.

#22 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

Nice post.

I've always wondered about trying to create a "gear coupling" with some of those strong magnets...one set on the inside of the sleeve, another tacked (hot melt glue?) to the lens zoom ring grip. So you get a friction fit between the sleeve and the lens...with magnets holding the two together. Seems like 3 of them 120-degs around would give enough contact strength, if you spaced them right to be in reasonably good contact (and of course matched polarity correctly...)

If there's not enough diameter space for the smaller rare-earth mags, maybe refridge mag strips cut to run all the way around might work in a pinch.

Probably a silly thought.... :dance:

Edited by rtrski, 01 August 2011 - 04:52 PM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#23 Jesper64

Jesper64

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:15 AM

Nice post.

I've always wondered about trying to create a "gear coupling" with some of those strong magnets...one set on the inside of the sleeve, another tacked (hot melt glue?) to the lens zoom ring grip. So you get a friction fit between the sleeve and the lens...with magnets holding the two together. Seems like 3 of them 120-degs around would give enough contact strength, if you spaced them right to be in reasonably good contact (and of course matched polarity correctly...)

If there's not enough diameter space for the smaller rare-earth mags, maybe refridge mag strips cut to run all the way around might work in a pinch.

Probably a silly thought.... :dance:

Not a silly thought at all. Except Inon beat you to it. Inon make/made magnet ring and ports for some of their housings. The idea was that you turned the ring on the port just like you would on land.

Edited by Jesper64, 02 August 2011 - 04:23 AM.

#24 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

Not a silly thought at all. Except Inon beat you to it. Inon make/made magnet ring and ports for some of their housings. The idea was that you turned the ring on the port just like you would on land.

Interesting approach. Not really sure the shooting position is that congruent with using a zoom-ring topside though...

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#25 Smeltzer

Smeltzer

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/images2inspire or visit my website http://stevenwsmeltzer.com or my blog https://blog.stevenwsmeltzer.com<br /><br />Images that inspire are my aspiration and my passion, combined with a love of scuba diving, nature and travel provide a wide variety of opportunities for me as a photographer. My goal is to provide photographs that allow the viewer to &quot;get into the image&quot; to live and experience the moment vicariously. <br /><br />I have spent over 30 years traveling globally and creating images of Europe, Africa, South America, North America and Asia and I want to share those images and experiences with others.<br /><br /><br />

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:43 AM

Great idea and definitely nice to have in the tool kit. If you are a bit more adventurous and have an old gear that is close to the desired size, I have cut the gear on a table saw to allow it to expand to the needed size and then simply slip over the lens.

#26 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:27 PM

These guys make a zip tie zoom gear: http://jag35.com/sto...ziptiegear.html
I have not tried them, but they seem like they would work.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#27 Jesper64

Jesper64

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:44 AM

These guys make a zip tie zoom gear: http://jag35.com/sto...ziptiegear.html
I have not tried them, but they seem like they would work.

That looks like it would work well, except unfortunately it's relatively expensive.

I received my Polymorph yesterday and have been experimenting with it. It is not as easy to work with as I hoped. My plan was to create a mould, out of Polymorph, from the zoom teeth from an existing Sea & Sea focus ring that I have. When soft the Polymorph is the consistency of thick honey rather than a liquid. This means that it is quite hard to get the Polymorph to fill the little gaps between the teeth of the zoom ring. This problem is further exacerbated when you try use the mould as the Polymorph won't easily fill the gaps in the mould that I just made. So in the end you come out with a very blunted zoom gear ring rather than one with nice sharp teeth.

#28 btroxell

btroxell

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:33 AM

In a similar thread, I showed how I used a vacuum cleaner belt as a gear; it's still works great.
Similar Wetpixel thread

Ben

#29 Jesper64

Jesper64

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:50 AM

Yeah, I've been on the lookout for a vacuum cleaner belt but haven't come across one yet.

Here is my latest effort, I found that some cable loom I have meshes almost perfectly with the zoom cog of the housing.

H3802.gif

I cut a short strip of the cable loom and flattened it out. I attached it to my original metal ring with some polymorph and it works well. Doesn't skip any teeth and stops when you reach the limits of the zoom.

DSC_1340.JPG