77 replies to this topic

#41 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:05 AM

i'll be off line starting tomorrow, so if someone can drop by the Aquatica booth and tell me where and when, I'll appreciate.

See you all soon.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#42 cronix

cronix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:59 AM

Hey, guys.

Does anyone have suggestions for where we should meet? I'm thinking we'll time it to coincide with the DEMA awards -- Friday night, November 10th.

A good number of people are only getting in on the 8th and 9th, so the evening of the 10th is probably our best bet to meet up.

I'm staying at the Rosen Centre Hotel just across the street from the convention center. Does anyone know if it has a proper bar? The website says that its lobby lounge bar is "ideal for both quiet conversation with friends and colleagues or for solitary time and personal reflection" -- definitely not what we want.

How about the Rosen Centre Hotel pool bar, 8pm, Friday the 10th?

I will visit the show as well. Partly as a photographer and as a member of the ANDI Europe staff.

Is the Rosen Centre Hotel pool bar thing final? I would be very happy to meet some of you over there.
D2X, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 60mm, 105mm, SB800 in Subal housing, Seacam: housing, S45 viewfinder, Fisheye dome, superdome, wet diopters, 250 TTL Digital strobes (2)
The website of André Crone can be found at http://www.elysia.nl

#43 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:49 PM

Hey guys. Well, there have been no suggestions for suitable venues near the convention center or hotel, so I've asked Matt to call the hotel to see where the best place to have drinks is. He'll post both here and one the front page after calling them.

Sorry for the late decision! I've been away for four weeks and will make it back to the states barely in time for DEMA. ;)

Here's their pool bar. It looks sort of small, but it might work, assuming it's open.

Posted Image

argh. maybe there's a better place to meet, but this one is within walking distance of the convention center.

The lobby bar may be a better bet. In the worst case, check both locations. I'll try to wear the whale shark Wetpixel/Divester t-shirt, and hopefully some of the others will as well (we'll bring some to sell).
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#44 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:12 PM

Folks, I'll be at the Peabody right across the way from the convention center.....perhaps it will be suitable. I am leaving Friday night but if folk want to change the party to Thursday that would be fine by me. I would love to meet so many of you. I am flying out early tomorrow morning.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#45 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:00 PM

Hey guys -

(updated as of Tuesday, Nov 7th)

As of right now, the meeting will be on Friday the 10th at 8PM at the Lobby Lounge Bar at the Rosen Centre Hotel (on 9840 International Drive), which seems to be all of a block or so from the convention center.

This is subject to change, but we'll be sure to post here and update the front page with the final decision.
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#46 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:36 AM

Previously Eric mentioned the Rosen Center Hotel, this is a different hotel on the other side of the convention center from the Rosen Plaza (they look pretty similar). Just be sure you're specific which, the Rosen Center or Rosen Plaza

Hey guys -

As of right now, the meeting will be on Friday the 10th at 8PM at the Lobby Lounge Bar at the Rosen Plaza Hotel (on 9700 International Drive), which seems to be all of a block or so from the convention center.

This is subject to change, but we'll be sure to post here and update the front page with the final decision.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#47 WillyVolk

WillyVolk

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:03 AM

I am a DEMA virgin, but will be jumping into the event with virginal glee. Can't wait to meet everybody. At the Wetpixel party, I'll be wearing a Wetpixel/Divester shirt, for easy identification.
D_Wshirt.jpg

#48 kathymm

kathymm

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:55 AM

FYI...

Randy and I flew into Orlando this morning, it is very cloudy and there are occasional light sprinkles. Hopefully it will clear up as the week goes by, but we might stick to an indoor bar.

Kathy

Hey guys. Well, there have been no suggestions for suitable venues near the convention center or hotel, so I've asked Matt to call the hotel to see where the best place to have drinks is. He'll post both here and one the front page after calling them.

Sorry for the late decision! I've been away for four weeks and will make it back to the states barely in time for DEMA. ;)

Here's their pool bar. It looks sort of small, but it might work, assuming it's open.

argh. maybe there's a better place to meet, but this one is within walking distance of the convention center.

The lobby bar may be a better bet. In the worst case, check both locations. I'll try to wear the whale shark Wetpixel/Divester t-shirt, and hopefully some of the others will as well (we'll bring some to sell).

Edited by kathymm, 07 November 2006 - 08:56 AM.

http://www.divermaiden.com
Nikon D300 with 60 mm & 16 mm lens, SEA&SEA Housing, Sea&Sea YS110 Strobes

#49 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

Wetpixel T-shirt and just in time for Xmas. Eric, I knew you were wondering what to get me. ;)

Have a good time guys, wish I could make it down there one year. Maybe I need to plan it ahead of time.

Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted © Todd C Mintz

#50 WillyVolk

WillyVolk

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:42 AM

FYI...

Randy and I flew into Orlando this morning, it is very cloudy and there are occasional light sprinkles. Hopefully it will clear up as the week goes by, but we might stick to an indoor bar.

Kathy

The weather is supposed to clear up after today and be beautiful during the actual show -- upper 70s to the low 80s.

#51 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:27 PM

Rosen plaza, like matt's post says. I'm currently trying to decide whether to get a private room and make this a bigger party. Tentative plans are rosen plaza hotel lobby bar but again, check wp home page tomorrow night. ;)

(We called rosen centre and they told us to go to rosen plaza. Called rosen plaza and they said lobby bar would be fine for 20 people or so...)
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#52 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

CHANGE OF PLAN.

Jason Heller just called the Rosen Plaza, and their bar area is too small to accomodate us. However, the Rosen Centre lobby bar is large enough. We're trying to get an area roped off, and if we can't do that, we may just rent a room and have a cash bar there. Check the front page tomorrow for more!
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#53 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:35 PM

FINAL LOCATION:

We will be meeting at the lobby bar of the Rosen Centre Hotel across the street from the convention center. Look for a sectioned-off area containing a bunch of folk who look like they might be underwater photographers…
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#54 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:37 PM

FINAL LOCATION:

We will be meeting at the lobby bar of the Rosen Centre Hotel across the street from the convention center. Look for a sectioned-off area containing a bunch of folk who look like they might be underwater photographers…

Pray Tell, What exactly do "underwater photographers" look like???

I'll be there, and for ye of little faith the weather will be GORGEOUS!! B)

Later, Carol

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17

#55 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6181 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:08 PM

Pray Tell, What exactly do "underwater photographers" look like???

The ones who keep putting the beer glass to their eye instead of their mouth....

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#56 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:32 AM

They have one arm longer than the other from carrying those heavy bags.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#57 cronix

cronix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:02 AM

They have no money left to buy a beer because of traveling and excess luggage. The rest of the money goes to Subal, Seacam, Sea & Sea etc.
D2X, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 60mm, 105mm, SB800 in Subal housing, Seacam: housing, S45 viewfinder, Fisheye dome, superdome, wet diopters, 250 TTL Digital strobes (2)
The website of André Crone can be found at http://www.elysia.nl

#58 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:32 AM

The ones who keep putting the beer glass to their eye instead of their mouth....

Mike I'm sure one of the manufacturers will patent that!! ;)

They have one arm longer than the other from carrying those heavy bags.

Alex

Yea but that longer arm helps to hold the beer glass up to the eye.... :(

They have no money left to buy a beer because of traveling and excess luggage. The rest of the money goes to Subal, Seacam, Sea & Sea etc.

I'll add for posterity:
Underwater photographers are those with very "furtive" looks, i.e., "Don't let my husband/wife get wind of how much $$$ I've just shelled out to Subal, Seacam, Sea & Sea, Etc........." :D

Carol

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17

#59 kathymm

kathymm

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:51 AM

Today's DEMA weather report shows the view from our hotel window to be sunny and breezy. ;)

Last night the exhibitor get together lasted way past the bar closing while attendees waited out the downpour. But today looks great!

BTW...Randy and I, and our NCUPS (Northern California Underwater Photographic Society) booth helpers, Rick and Robbie will be recognizeable by our NCUPS shirts. Or, come by the booth (#873).

Kathy
http://www.divermaiden.com
Nikon D300 with 60 mm & 16 mm lens, SEA&SEA Housing, Sea&Sea YS110 Strobes

#60 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:17 AM

Roped off area !!! :lol:

You guys are letting this 'celebrity' stuff go straight to your heads ;)

Have a beer or two for me ;) :( :D :guiness: :blush:

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk