• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 akwatic

akwatic

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:49 PM

I saw this on the Nikonians front page...someone actually beat Ike???

Nikonian Article

Sea and Sea Press Release DX-D80

Edited by akwatic, 20 September 2006 - 01:52 PM.

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:01 PM

The announcement appeared on the Japanese website yesterday - those folks at Nikonians are really on the ball! I've been waiting for a translation as the Babelfish translation had me literally rolling out of my seat with laughter.

:-)

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 stone

stone

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:59 AM

0.8x interchangeable pickup viewfinder
( Product number 46104)
:blush:

We recommend this viewfinder for near-sighted users and for photographers who want to make sure the focus is clear in the center of the image during macro photography. You can interchange this viewfinder with the standard pickup viewfinder to best suit your needs

#4 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:04 AM

0.8x interchangeable pickup viewfinder
( Product number 46104)
:blush:

I noticed that too... but can not find anymore details about Product Number 46104 on any of the Sea & Sea websites. The D200 housing is able to accomodate this "accessory finder" as well. I'd really like some more information on this thing, that's for sure.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#5 akwatic

akwatic

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:21 AM

there have been interesting discussions in nikonians about d200 vs d80, how d80 pictures "pop" more than d200's. the discussions center around how the d80 (like the d50) was designed/calibrated for point and shooters;ie the pictures "pop" straight from the camera and how the d200 was calibrated for professionals who do lots of post processing, so the d200 pics were more "subdued"

all this reminds me of the d70 vs d50 discussions.

#6 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:UK underwater photography

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

This viewfinder option does not sound that exciting. The supplied 0.66X one is probably better for seeing the whole frame. The 0.8x one might clip the edges even though the centre area would be bigger. This does not sound like a SubalSeacam magnifier at all.

Interesting to see the AE/AF-L lever now missing.

I could not understand the 2 and 5 pin sync socket thing. For some reason you can't use twin sync cables in the two supplied sync sockets - but need to use a duo cord instead.

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:38 AM

Trevor,

It's like the Nexus pickup finders which have been an option for quite some time. It's not a magnified viewfinder.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#8 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:39 PM

I'm not ready to flip out about the AF-L not being pictured, yet. The 5d pictures on the Sea & Sea site still don't even show a front command wheel access!

I'm interested in the .8x lens for the macro shooting I do, but I'm told they won't ship in Japan until November. They should be much less expensive than the Nexus Pickup finder lenses, though.

One socket is wired w/ all 5 pins active for use with the I-TTL Converter, and one socket is wired with only 2 pins (trigger & ground) connected for use with manual strobes. Connecting anything other than an I-TTL compatible device to the camera can cause it to lock up, and blink the flash ready in the viewfinder. We sell an insulator plate that drops into the bulkhead allowing dual strobe use with single cords in the stock wiring configuration. This plate can be removed at any time, unmasking the contacts, and allowing TTL strobe use.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#9 tkr

tkr

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:24 AM

I'd be interested to know how many people use the AE-L/AF-L button on a housing. I have the DX -D50 and have never yet used this feature so would probably not miss it.

The current photos of the DX-D80 housing show the AE-L/AF-L lever missing but of course it might be there when it arrives for sale. However, it may be a way of differentiating the DX-D200 and DX -D80 housings

#10 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:19 AM

We have one unit in stock, and it does not have the lever... They increased the size of the rear command wheel for better ergonomics, and couldn't squeeze it in.

I shoot AF-C, and use the lever to lock focus at a certain point... Or use it for power manual focus, locking focus and moving in and out. For me, it is a feature I can't live without.

The housing does access the AF-M switch, which is how I used to lock focus with my Nexus D100 housing. This isn't nearly as convenient though.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#11 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the info Ryan.

Cheers