A THIEF ON WETPIXEL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo1946

jimbo1946

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, UW photography, land photography, reading, driving my wife/dive buddy nuts!

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:42 PM

Howdy, Folks. I don't get to spend too much time on Wetpixel, but I have to warn you about a thief among us. I enter photos on underwaterphotography.com, and I know some of you do too. Yesterday, I noticed one of my photos that I had posted on Digital Diver Network a few months ago showed up on underwaterphotography.com under the name of "Peter Allinson." Mr. Allinson (if that's his real name) is a thief. I notified the UWP moderator about this and asked him to kill the photo and dump this guy (or gal). I haven't heard back from him yet, but others have also emailed him about this.

A few minutes ago, I noticed that someone has posted the same photo in the current Wetpixel photo contest. Presumably, it's the same thief. I will email the moderators about this, but if they see this tonight, please kill this entry and inform me who entered it.

Here's the link to DDN where I showed both photos and explained the situation if you're interested:
DDN LINK

By the way, I have the original uncropped unedited file of the photo, and I assure you the thief does not. I also have the whole series of photos that I took of the little juvenile damselfish, and the thief does not.

Edited by jimbo1946, 23 September 2006 - 04:43 PM.

Jim Chambers
Tucker, Georgia

Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing with housed SB800 flash.

#2 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:35 PM

Hi Jim --

My moderator powers only exist in Critter ID & Conservation so I've notified the others. Condolances - this is a very sucky situation!

#3 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

Hi Jim

So very sorry this has happened to you. We are investigating it at the moment.

but we take this EXTREMELY seriously and will get to the bottom of it soon.

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#4 critidoc

critidoc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:25 PM

Howdy, Folks. I don't get to spend too much time on Wetpixel, but I have to warn you about a thief among us. I enter photos on underwaterphotography.com, and I know some of you do too. Yesterday, I noticed one of my photos that I had posted on Digital Diver Network a few months ago showed up on underwaterphotography.com under the name of "Peter Allinson." Mr. Allinson (if that's his real name) is a thief. I notified the UWP moderator about this and asked him to kill the photo and dump this guy (or gal). I haven't heard back from him yet, but others have also emailed him about this.

A few minutes ago, I noticed that someone has posted the same photo in the current Wetpixel photo contest. Presumably, it's the same thief. I will email the moderators about this, but if they see this tonight, please kill this entry and inform me who entered it.

Here's the link to DDN where I showed both photos and explained the situation if you're interested:
DDN LINK

By the way, I have the original uncropped unedited file of the photo, and I assure you the thief does not. I also have the whole series of photos that I took of the little juvenile damselfish, and the thief does not.

I just sent this to Eric. I was in Little cayman diving and shooting with my new D200, 5/11-17/2006. The POTW entry "spots" has been claimed to belong to another member jimbo1946. while I have the edited tiff file, confirming it was shot with a d200 and during the time I was in Little Cayman, sandwiched in the little Cayman file between other keepers from that same day (I do not retain my origional nef files ( not enough storage room), I only retain the keeper Tiffs and jpeg copies for emailing .
I prefer not to get into a pissing match over the photo, please remove it. T
he photo that jimbo1946 posted in underwaterphoto.com was in July and is a totally different picture. He posted a horizontal flip of "spots" today on underwaterphoto.com. I have not been able to find his version of spots on digitaldiver.net as he claimed. sorry for any inconvience this may cause.
Nikon D200, 12-24mm, 60mm,105mm, 18-200mm, Aquatica D20 housing, dual Inonz240 flashes

#5 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:52 PM

Critidoc, what is this about? And how can you still claim the photo is yours? Jim has proved the photo is his (I've seen the original), there is no question about it.

Jim, you can be sure that the photo will be removed from the contest and appropriate action will be taken.

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#6 critidoc

critidoc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:16 PM

Critidoc, what is this about? And how can you still claim the photo is yours? Jim has proved the photo is his (I've seen the original), there is no question about it.

Jim, you can be sure that the photo will be removed from the contest and appropriate action will be taken.

Luiz

just got on home computer, file was 20060516_jewelled damselfish located in my little cayman folder under 20060516 (the date).
checking exif data, d200, 60 mm lens, iso 100, f 18 exif date reads 2006-05-19
all the rest of my exif data on my other photos for that day reads 2006-05-16
I would appear that this is not mine, do not know how it got there. I have asked wetpixel to remove it and would like to do same for underwaterphoto.com. I have deleted the photo from my files
my appologies, I hope are enough. i have learned to double check exif data before I postanything..
Nikon D200, 12-24mm, 60mm,105mm, 18-200mm, Aquatica D20 housing, dual Inonz240 flashes

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

Critidoc,
Wetpixel has zero tolerance for image theft. This is the second time you have posted photos for competitions that are not owned or photographed by you, both times using the same excuse. Therefore, the Wetpixel staff is hereby suspending your account until further notice. We hope this serves to remind others who may be tempted this sort of deceit not to try it on wetpixel.
Jim, thank you for your understanding and vigilance.

Drew

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.