#1 synthetic

synthetic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:27 PM

Aquatica Housing, Ports and Parts for Canon 300D

Price Lowered, see below

This system includes the housing, ports and spare parts for underwater photography with the Canon Digital Rebel 300D. It doesn't include the camera, but you get everything else you need to start taking pictures underwater.

Posted Image

The first photo shows the camera with the 8" dome port installed. This is the recommended port for the 18-55mm "kit" lens that comes with most Digital Rebels. The 8" port has a few minor scratches on the outside, but these are filled with water when underwater so they don't show up. Actually, I don't see them when I take pictures over water either. It comes with a neoprene cover, not pictured.

You can see that the camera has three Ultralight 1" ball joints attached. The two on the arms were used for mounting strobes, and the one in the middle is for a spotter/focus light. You can replace these if you use different arms. The housing has two standard Nikonus bulkheads for attaching underwater strobes (not TTL, which never worked on this model).

Posted Image

Also included is the Aquatica macro port with extension ring. I used this with the super-long a Sigma 105mm lens, so it should be long enough for anything Canon makes. This glass-front port is in perfect condition, and comes with the pictured neoprene cover.

Posted Image

Included with the system are three zoom/focus rings. The first two in the photo are for the 18-55mm kit lens. One of them is the standard zoom ring, and the other is a custom-made model with screw-down points. Once you tighten those 6 allen screws, that zoom ring isn't going anywhere. The third ring is a focus ring for a macro lens. It was supposed to fit the Sigma 105mm but doesn't, so I assume it fits one of the Canon lenses.

Posted Image

Here's the back of the housing. You can see the controls for all camera functions are on the housing (except for power, don't forget that one). The red knob on the left is for the zoom ring, and the two knobs on the right turn the mode dial and data wheel. I put duct tape over the data wheel adjuster, which I found to be the best solution for adjusting this control underwater. There is a flood alarm installed, which shows through the window on the back.

You may have noticed a button missing on the back. This is the only problem with the housing, one of the screw-down adjusters broke off. Here's a close up of the front and back of that adjuster:

Posted Image

I tried to get this piece replaced before selling, but the repair shop couldn't get the piece out with the equipment they had. The housing is perfectly water-tight as-is, however, and was tested as such by the repair shop. You just won't have access to the "-" control, which I've never used anyway.

Posted Image

Here are some of the spare parts you get with the camera. You can see that there's an O-ring rebuild kit, spare strobe head, spare trigger mechanism, another main O-ring, extra screws, allen wrenches, and much more.

Here's a summary of what you get:

- Aquatica 300D Housing
- Dual Nikonos (Sea & Sea) bulkhead
- 8" dome port with dome shade and neoprene cover (part# 18405, 18482)
- Two zoom rings for 18-55mm, one with screw-down clamps
- Macro Port with extension ring and neoprene cover (18426, 18453)
- Macro focus ring
- Flood alarm
- Three Ultralight ball joints

Posted Image

Get wet with one of the most affordable digital SLR camera systems you can find. You can find the 6-megapixel Canon 300D body on eBay for around $300, or $500 brand new. Here are a few of the photos I've taken with this system, some of which have won awards:

Photos with the Aquatica 300D Housing

Retail price of the entire system is over $3,000. I'm asking $1,799 for mine. Price includes secure packing and shipping anywhere in the continental US and Canada. I have 50 positive feedbacks on eBay, but I'm listing it here first. Email me at synthetic (at] earthlink (dot] net with questions or to claim it for your own.

Edited by synthetic, 27 September 2006 - 12:34 PM.

---------
Jeff Laity -- Underwater Gallery
Canon 5DmkII, Ikelite Housing, Inon Z-220 strobes

#2 synthetic

synthetic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:30 PM

Price lowered to $1799, shipped anywhere in the US or Canada.
---------

#3 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:46 PM

I won't buy it (wrong housing, wrong camera manufacture for me :) ) but I really admire your invested post.
Good luck.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#4 synthetic

synthetic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:55 PM

Thanks. Any of your friends shooting Canon? :)
---------

#5 synthetic

synthetic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

Bump. I need to pay off my new 5D housing. :)
---------

#6 synthetic

synthetic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:19 AM

What a fine holiday gift this would make. :)

It's the perfect step-up for someone moving from point-and-shoot cameras like Olympus, and the ports alone would cost you this much. Make me an offer I can't refuse.
---------

#7 fgclessa

fgclessa

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:03 AM

hi
I am interested on your housing!!
contact me on fgclessa@yahoo.com.br