Fuji S5 pro

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:20 AM

If you haven't been keeping up with the Fuji S5 rumours, well it's official now.
Well officially released on the dpreview site.

S5 pro is in a d200 body, although we have to wait to Feb 2007.

Same pixel count as the S3 6+6MP, but they apparantley have tweeked the low pass filter and the processing engine to combat moire and noise issues. Fuji has always been known for their great colour direct from camera, and high dynamic range of their CCDs. Of course the proof will be in the shooting, but it is encouraging.
fujifilms5.jpg

Edited by photovan, 25 September 2006 - 02:28 AM.

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#2 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:55 AM

Fuji S5

Exciting news. At least from the pictures that are available it looks like the exact same body as the D200

Edited by Lionfish43, 25 September 2006 - 05:04 AM.

Larry Oberlander My Webpage
Nikon D200, Aquatica AD200

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:11 AM

Looks like Thom Hogan was right AGAIN.

Thanks for posting guys. Yes, the S5 pro is a boon to D200 shooters if it will fit directly into D200 housings. The high dynamic range of the Fuji SuperCCD SR is something that I have wanting to try underwater for some time.

Based on reaction on DPreview, it looks like people are disappointed that it's only 6 megapixels. Fuji hasn't introduced a sensor with output greater than 6 megapixels since the S2pro, which I first used underwater in 2003. However, the resolution of the 6 megapixel images is akin to a 9 megapixel bayer filter-sensor (I can vouch for this).

The hope is that Fuji will upscale the sensor befor the camera's introduction in Spring 2007. If they don't, they'll be facing some serious competition as the big 2 will both have probably announced new Pro cameras by that time. My hope is that Fuji has inked an agreement w/ Nikon to continue using their bodies and will also announce a camera based on the D2x platform.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:22 AM

My hope is that Fuji has inked an agreement w/ Nikon to continue using their bodies and will also announce a camera based on the D2x platform.

here we go again :blush: :blush: ;)

#5 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:47 AM

My hope is that Fuji has inked an agreement w/ Nikon to continue using their bodies and will also announce a camera based on the D2x platform.

Cheers
James

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Nikon to license their Pro bodies but who knows. Just the fact that Fuji will be using the D200 body is exciting and a little suprising.

The D200 body isn't so shabby. I recently sold my D2H - same pro body as the D2X - because I just wasn't using it much after getting the D200. It looks like this is going to really add value for those of us who have gone the D200 route.
Larry Oberlander My Webpage
Nikon D200, Aquatica AD200

#6 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:27 AM

Yes. It would be very interesting to see some sunball shots from one of these.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#7 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:40 AM

Well I guess I should take the opportunity to introduce the Fuji S5 housing from Aquatica :blush: :blush: ;)

Attached Images

• d200_0001.jpg

Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#8 giftie

giftie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

If it has the same sluggish write speed as the other Fuji's do [all those masked pixels in the sensor also get written to the RAF file although they have no information whatsoever, it is just transferring meaningless data, good thinking really] and I bet this will continue since they will want to keep compatibiliy with the existent RAF format. Wonder if the price is going to be much lower than the D200 because that is the only way the camera is going to sell otherwise it will be the next Fuji lemon.
Sad, very sad, Fuji used to have excellent large-format panorama cameras and razor sharp lenses, pulled out from that market, no digital versions are foreseen (the Xpan was a Fuji camera rebadged Hasselblad for the European and US market), managed to get an early start with the S1, got the S2 pretty much right, came up with a lemon called S3, tried to get rid of the most of the stock of S3s by removing the IR sensor filter [also called the S3 UVIR a la lifepixel] and pumping the price in the process and finally the forthcoming lowres Fuji version of the D200. Well done Fuji, way to go.
Jorge Santos
Aquatica D200/Twin DS-125/Hart 250HS/SB-800/10.5DX/12-24DX/17-55DX/105/60/ULCS
Web Gallery

#9 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:39 PM

While it is still only on display in a glass case, Michael from the Luminous Landscape site has had a look at some prints made from S5 files at Photokina 2006, and has posted a short videoblog of his impressions. He seems underwhelmed, particularly by sharpness, so it seems no improvements over the S3 in that regard. You can watch it here .

#10 jackson46

jackson46

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:36 PM

The Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro is a 6-megapixels digital SLR camera that delivers 12-megapixels images. This is due to each photosite's dual sensors which serve different purposes - one is for general exposure and the other is for highlight. This is the reason why S5 Pro has very excellent dynamic range. It is considered to perform well in portraits because the tonal rendition or skin-toned reproduction is topnotched. While it is curiously similar in build and functionalities to Nikon D200, the internal composition or mechanism between the two is not the same. S5 utilizes a SuperCCD SR Pro imaging chip that is regarded to deliver improvements in noise, dynamic range, and skin color over its predecessor, the S3 Pro. A visit to this site, http://www.smartrati...al_cameras/1028 , where a compilation of expert reviews about the camera is aggregated would be helpful.

Edited by jackson46, 05 July 2007 - 10:37 PM.

#11 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:02 PM

Just wondering if how many wetpixelodians are using the S5 pro.

#12 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Manager / Handyman at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

not me, i've bought 3 D200's. I picked up an S5 and took a few shots but the buffer is way too slow. Like using an old Point and Shoot on tif.

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio for June / July 2014!!

#13 LChan

LChan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:50 PM

i have one.

it is ok. the dynamic range is great for topside stuff.
underwater i am so used to my d200, i keep getting my controls screwed up. Besides, the three color histogram on the d200 is so much better than the S5. I hate having to scroll thru.
Nikon D200 - Subal housing - 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 17-35mm, 60mm, 105mmVR - Dual Ikelite DS-125 - ULCS arms.
Canon SD550 - Canon housing (pocket videocam)

Larry Chan -- My Webpage