11 replies to this topic

#1 chewie70

chewie70

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:45 AM

Hey everyone,

Just returned from Guadalupe Island. The trip couldn't have gone better and my new gear performed perfectly. I have been very pleased with the results, especially considering this was the first time that I have shot UW in over 10 years. So, let me know what you think. Any feedback is good since I'm planning another trip next year and want to improve.

Enjoy,
Matt

http://www.pbase.com...la_de_guadalupe

#2 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1232 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:52 AM

Hey everyone,

Just returned from Guadalupe Island. The trip couldn't have gone better and my new gear performed perfectly. I have been very pleased with the results, especially considering this was the first time that I have shot UW in over 10 years. So, let me know what you think. Any feedback is good since I'm planning another trip next year and want to improve.

Enjoy,
Matt
http://www.pbase.com...la_de_guadalupe

Great set of shots - makes me want go there while you still can.

#3 chewie70

chewie70

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:09 AM

Thanks pmooney. I still have 100's to go through. The action was pretty hot most of the time. Hopefully we will still be able to do it next year. We're working a deal with the charter we took to do a 10 day that will include fishing.

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:57 AM

Does not look like you missed a beat not shooting for 10 years. Great shots.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 chewie70

chewie70

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

Thanks loftus, I didn't realize how much I missed it until this trip. I can see it really hurting the old checkbook in the near future:)

#6 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

What lens were you using? Also looks like either some strobe fill or some chum mixed against the sunlight??
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#7 chewie70

chewie70

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:24 PM

The lens was a Nikon 17-35/2.8 on a D200 body with an Aquatica housing. I also used a Inon z240 during the morning and late afternoon for minimal fill. All of the images were shot between 24-35mm. I was literally hanging out of the cage to get the shots. I never claimed to be the brightest guy:)

As far as the scatter, if you are referring to the open mouth shots, I believe I shot too late. When the shark broke the surface, it created alot of turbulence in the water. I really wish that I could of got crystal clear shots of that. Thanks for the input. Hopefully next year, I'll be able to control that problem now that I know better.

#8 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:35 AM

Very nice shots, really makes me want to go back.

#9 chewie70

chewie70

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:50 AM

Hey NWDiver, thanks for the reply. I had so much fun watching those beautiful creatures and shooting them. To be honest, I've been having a really hard time coming back down to reality. I can't wait to go back.

#10 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:09 AM

Impressive shots of this impressive creature.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#11 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1253 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:21 AM

Nice shots. I might try taking the white balance a little warmer and lighten the shadows if you shot in RAW. But very impressive, really gave me the feeling of "being there". What boat?

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#12 chewie70

chewie70

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:47 AM

Thanks Arnon, they definately were impressive. It's amazing how something that big and dangerous can be so beautiful.

Hey Jack, thanks for the input. I haven't really messed around with them yet, but will give that a shot. I just have to be really careful to not blow out the highlights. I'm glad that they gave you the feeling of "being there", that was what I was trying to accomplish. I was aboard the Horizon out of San Diego. Great boat, great crew and awesome food. It was really well organized which made the trip that much more fun.