"Critter Comforts" now live!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:07 AM

The latest DiveFilm Podcast Video, Episode 30, "Critter Comforts" by Mark Thorpe is now live.

Every once in a while an underwater short video creation just stuns me. It's that fine combination of images, editing and soundtrack all working together to evoke something profoundly beautiful. That's when the art of the underwater short film works its magic. And that's what Mark Thorpe's "Critter Comforts" achieves in all its simple grandeur. This video of critters from the waters of Yap and Palau is dedicated by Mark to all "macronuts." It's a wonderful work of art, and one not to be missed!

DiveFilm Podcasts are produced in association with Wetpixel.com, and are available for free at iTunes. You can get to the podcast on iTunes by clicking here (if you have iTunes version 4.9 of higher on your computer), or by clicking on the DiveFilm link in the sidebar of this page. Or enter the xml for the podcast into your podcast aggregator. (By going to iTunes for the podcast, you help keep Divefilm Podcasts featured on iTunes, but you can also access the podcasts using any other aggregator that supports video.)

I hope you enjoy this podcast! For more about Mark and his work, check out his bio.

Mary Lynn
http://DiveFilm.com

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:24 PM

Thanks Mark, that was great!
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:45 PM

Outstanding stuff Mark and thanks for sharing Mary Lynn.

Love the mandarin fish especially.

Aside from the beautiful footage, your opening titles were very cool and the music for the 2nd half suited the subject perfectly.

Looking forward to seeing your HDV stuff in due course.

#4 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:44 AM

Thanks for the compliments. I prefer macro filming to the big stuff but all has its place in the grand scale of things. Thanks to Mary Lynn for allowing me to share this product with you all.

Nick, if you get Motion that works seemlessly with FCP (if thats what you're editing with) these title sequences are all loaded in there. You have access to all the component layers so its just a matter of dragging in the image elements, adding your text and off you go. It certainly gives the product that extra little buzz.

Once again, thanks all for the kind words. I appreciate them very much. Here's to the next episode.

Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#5 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:32 AM

I'm a Vegas-on-PC man and unfortunately the biggest thing lacking is a decent titler. They bundle Boris Graffitti LTD with it but I don't know if it can do stuff like that.

#6 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:25 AM

Hey Mary well done on yet another cool poddiee.

Mark you certainly have some nice material there dude...well done and you inspire me to keep at it. :blush:

It was real cool as I have this NVIDIA Quadro FX 560 graphics card now and when ever you play a video clip on the computer screen at any size, it outlays to fill the TV screen at the same time..cool... :blush:

Nick I found this program called Heroglyph and it looks like it can import into Vegus as well. Within Edius I can fire it up to add real time wizzy things and more to the text and video all without rendering.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#7 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:52 AM

great stuff mark!! took forever to download but was worth it

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#8 brycegroark

brycegroark

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:31 AM

Very nice, Mark - I especially like the nudi turning from B&W to color! Very cool. As Nick said, loved the titles as well - I need to get into Motion (not run from it!)

Aloha
Bryce
Bryce Groark
Living Ocean Productions
http://livingoceanproductions.com
http://brycegroark.com

#9 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:22 PM

Mark, Your opening titles sequence was stunningly done. I loved it. You clearly have a steady hand and an eye for composition. That you shot it on a VX1000 is also a hell of an accomplishment. Very professional.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#10 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:21 AM

Thanks Steve,
If it wasn't a necessity to continually "keep up with the Joneses" I'd still be using the trusted old VX1K 'til it drops dead. Great Camera and a job well done by Sony. I also remember my old VX1E which for a Hi8 3CCD could also turn out some great stuff.

Getting to grips well with the Z1 now, got the cam almost nailed, still a few little quirks to get used to working fully manual but no problems for the long run. Quite impressed with the cam in general the macro abilities are stunning especially when light gets thrown on the subject.

To that end I'm planning a possible 6 week trip to Indo next down season to wallow in the muck and get some nice stock from northern Sulawesi, still looking into it. I may also combine that with a week or so in Bali for Mola Mola so just hoping for a good season to replace coffers etc then into the planning for that.

Cheers for the encouragement.
Best,
Mark.
PS Still on for Apex Pulse? Got the track officially signed over under license so now its just down to getting the footage arranged.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#11 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:49 PM

Mark if you do 6 weeks shooting for stock in northern Sulawesi you'll be editing it for the next 6 years. Some of the sites there are like a critter conveyer belt.