X- Black 17" TFT aktiv matrix
Price in Sweden ca 1500 Euros
and
Mac Book Pro with 15, 5" monitor
Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz
Price in Sweden ca 2400 Euros

I need it for my long travels abroad where it must replace my worktation
What i need to do is follow

Retuch and burn Photos!!! I use Capture one & Photoshop.

I am not shure if Mac Book Pro is worth the ca 1000 euros extra or it the Vaio will be enough for my job

I have work with both Mac & Windows so for me is not a problem att all the operativ systems

Any recomentations?

Lambis
Lambis Stratoudakis - http://www.lambisstratoudakis.com

#2 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:24 PM

The Merom chipsets are so close you can almost hear the wind rushing past your ears, so I suppose my first question would be "how soon do you need it". The Merom based laptop will probably represent a significant step up on the current Core Duo chipsets.

A 17" laptop can be a bit of a beast to carry long distances, but once you have it on site the larger monitor is definitely welcome if you're using multiple pallete applications like photoshop.

The macbook gives you the option of running Aperture, which is becoming more and more an integral part of my life, so I'd view that as an advantage for the macbook. Have you considered the 17" macbook?

The difference in speed between a 1.6 GHz Core Duo machine and a 2.1 GHz Core Duo machine is quite substantial, and may well warrant a large part of the "value differential" between the two machines.

IMHO of course

Edited by Craig Ruaux, 29 September 2006 - 12:25 PM.

Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:07 PM

I believe the Merom (Core2Duo) is already available on Dell and IBM. The macs should be announcing their before Xmas.
Since you are using it for PS, you should look at the screen since software will perform about the same, given a similar setup. C1 3.7.x works a little faster on Windoze if I remember correctly. The screen is very important for PS work.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.