• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:21 PM

Papua Barat (aka Irian Jaya) is the Indonesian part of the Papuan island shared with Papua Niu Guini. The north western tip where Waigeo, Kofiau and Misool are already very special marine biodiversity areas, including Cape Kri where the former record of 284 fish species found one area is located.
A recent Conservation International expedition in the FakFak/Seram Sea area found even more new things, including 50+ new species of marine life(many endemic to the area). There are many turtle rookeries here including the largest nesting areas for the endangered leatherback turtle.
The diving here is amazing and hopefully Conservation International will get the support it needs to keep it as pristine as when Wallace first called it the most picturesque landscape.
The PDF file from CI is attached.

Attached Files

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:39 AM

There is also additional information on the news page with links to some press releases.

Wetpixel news
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#3 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:29 PM

Hey, I've added a short & fairly basic report from the trip here with CI, check out Fakfak Trip Report. I also added a gallery of macro images and a few topside images from this new region, check out Fakfak Gallery.

I can't wait to get back there in November, next up for this region is going in search of a few more hot critter sites. I have a few already in my mind that look as if they should be hot, we simply never had time to cover it all on our first trip...

So Dru, which trip are you coming on? I know it won't be long before you have to check it out, it's just your kinda thang! :) :D

#4 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:32 AM

I hope to join up with Mark again soon. I was on a trip with him in January.

Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#5 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:36 PM

Maybe Halmahera will actually turn out to be the hotspot. This area has only been surveyed a tiny amount compared to Irian Jaya now. I am hoping to take Gerry Allen and Mark Erdmann to survey this area more, maybe next year! Gerry Allen certainly thinks that Halmahera may be the biodiversity hot spot!