#41 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:01 AM

Cronix,

I had the same probs with my film last year..The judges just didn't have a clue about the love, time, passion, dedication and committment we put into 'our' productions..

Luckily for the others 'they did'...

Well done to all..Fantastic achievements...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#42 cronix

cronix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:27 AM

Cronix,

I had the same probs with my film last year..The judges just didn't have a clue about the love, time, passion, dedication and committment we put into 'our' productions..

Luckily for the others 'they did'...

Well done to all..Fantastic achievements...

Dive safe

DeanB

I don't think they should know about the passion, love and time. They cannot see that in the end result, right?

What I was hoping for is that a festival like this would set the standard and that they promote progression in photography. And they normally do that. The slides winner was absolutely the best with great non standard images. B&W prints, was also ok. Congrats to Harry, Alex and Jane!
Color prints is a different story for me. The images from Alex or Denis Palbiani were fantastic. But I am sure the winners will think differently :D

Edited by cronix, 31 October 2006 - 01:28 AM.

D2X, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 60mm, 105mm, SB800 in Subal housing, Seacam: housing, S45 viewfinder, Fisheye dome, superdome, wet diopters, 250 TTL Digital strobes (2)
The website of André Crone can be found at http://www.elysia.nl

#43 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:56 AM

Of course they can,

I think they need to see the heart and feeling in any piece of artistic interpretation..Be it film or still.

If you win through luck with a quick snapshot then fairplay and well done. But the time and knowledge spent achieveing most of these shots is worthy of applause in itself.

I was gutted that I didn't get a mention for my film as it was my first baby and I put a lot of time and effort into it and when you get the likes of Doug Allan telling you they thought it was excellent for a first attempt then you think your on your way to the BBC's internal group of filmakers.

But hey "thats life kid"

I put it down to the judges not getting 'laid' the night before. It could never of been that the others were better. Or maybe they had a bad day.. :D

But next time I'll win, you wait and see..

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#44 cronix

cronix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:33 AM

Of course they can,

I think they need to see the heart and feeling in any piece of artistic interpretation..Be it film or still.

If you win through luck with a quick snapshot then fairplay and well done. But the time and knowledge spent achieveing most of these shots is worthy of applause in itself.

I was gutted that I didn't get a mention for my film as it was my first baby and I put a lot of time and effort into it and when you get the likes of Doug Allan telling you they thought it was excellent for a first attempt then you think your on your way to the BBC's internal group of filmakers.

But hey "thats life kid"

I put it down to the judges not getting 'laid' the night before. It could never of been that the others were better. Or maybe they had a bad day..

But next time I'll win, ou wait and see..

Dive safe

DeanB

Oh well. Its just a jury sport. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. It was my dream to win the color prints. But I really don't know what to send in next year. My best ever show didn't make it :D . So, just a very good reason to get into the water again!
D2X, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 60mm, 105mm, SB800 in Subal housing, Seacam: housing, S45 viewfinder, Fisheye dome, superdome, wet diopters, 250 TTL Digital strobes (2)

#45 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8391 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:39 AM

Competition judging is always subjective and the difference between being in the top 25 or being the winner is nearly always small. When you win something you have to remind yourself that the luck was on your side, and when you don't you have to realise that it wasn't.

If you read the photographer entry list to Antibes you will see the names of many many excellent photographers, and walking around the gallery you will see many images that have won big competitions before (Antibes accepts entries that have won other competitions, so that they can get the best of the best). The standard is very high and you have many great images competing for just 3 awards. So we can't all win them!

Judging also depends on the judges personal preference and experience. Andre, I loved your leopard seal images, but maybe the judges had seen the current national geographic, which has some truely amazing photos of the same subject matter and therefore your image lost its originality and impact.

That said, I do think that the colour print judging was unusual thsi year - and I commented such in my report for UWP Magazine, out later this week. The Judges commented that the standard of colour prints was down a bit this year, and they had trouble coming to a consensus. They also commented that the black and white prints were very strong this year, as were the slides, both of which were judged well IMO.

In the end, judging is a difficult job. And I know at Antibes that the judges take the job very seriously and are very dedicated. But in the end it is a subjective decision, and you have to remember that both when you are unlucky and when luck comes your way.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#46 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:01 AM

Oh well. Its just a jury sport. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. It was my dream to win the color prints. But I really don't know what to send in next year. My best ever show didn't make it :D . So, just a very good reason to get into the water again!

You'll just have to make an even better one. Antibes is a very very high level contest. You're up against professionals that do nothing but photography in the most exceptional spots in the world. Competing with that is tough. I definately think your leopard seal image was a good contender, but as Alex said, judging is very subjective. I entered Antibes myself in the portfolio contest even though I knew I didnt stand a chance. But if you dont try, and learn from the experience of pre-selecting your images, you'll definately never get much better.

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#47 cronix

cronix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:55 AM

You'll just have to make an even better one. Antibes is a very very high level contest. You're up against professionals that do nothing but photography in the most exceptional spots in the world. Competing with that is tough. I definately think your leopard seal image was a good contender, but as Alex said, judging is very subjective. I entered Antibes myself in the portfolio contest even though I knew I didnt stand a chance. But if you dont try, and learn from the experience of pre-selecting your images, you'll definately never get much better.

Cor

I don't know if the color print winners are professionals. Like Alex said; what is better? You don't need a "better" image. It's just to be lucky if the jury likes your image. I agree with the jury that the overall quality of the color prints was a litle bit down. And by the way Antarctica is exceptional enough for me :D

One other thing. In previous years there was a list with the results for all photographers. Does this list exist this year? I would really like to see it. I only have a list with the price winners right now.

#48 cronix

cronix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:34 AM

Damn. The results are online: http://www.underwater-festival.com/. I was 5th in the color prints category. Only 2 places away from the price winners : :D

#49 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:37 AM

Thats a brilliant achievement.. :D

Don't be to down on yourself.. 5th is well respectable in this festival..

Well done.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#50 skawdiver

skawdiver

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:53 PM

Hi

Yeah, it was a great event, and the weather was perfect, so my wife and I ended up on the beach, instead of the very warm cinema.

But, still we got to see some fine films.

Nice meeting you, Jules, Bruno and Ed. And Jason of divephotoguide.com

Bruno, I still think that you at least should had been in top 3, with your film !

A little pic below. (Why am I not drinking champagne ? :D )

From right to left, Me, Bruno, Ed's wife and Ed
(sorry to Ed's wife, can't remember your name, I am suffering from "Alzheimer light" :D ).

Posted Image

Edited by skawdiver, 31 October 2006 - 11:59 PM.

Hans Christian Andersen - www.skawdiver.com • Underwater film production in Scandinavia
Sony PD-170 + Amphibico Housing + Amphibico monitor + Kowalski 1250D Speed lights
Sony TRV 310E + Ikelite Housing + Kowalski 1250D Speed lights + Ultralights arms system

#51 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:51 PM

I think that Dr. Mustard's comments are on the mark. Why? Three reasons:

1- I met him there;

2- I was part of the slide jury;

3- My best half was on the print jury. [Sorry, no insight on her jury deliberations]

Without getting into secret deliberations, I think that, as Alex said, anyone who is within the 15-25 top picks deserves kudos.

Beyond that, all sorts of things come into play, including the judges personal preferences, their appreciation of a given subject (some systematically reject clownfish pictures and I must say that the same is sttarting to happen with the pygmy seahorses), their knowledge or lack thereof about the specifics involved in u/w photography... and sometimes their knowledge of the author might play a role although this is balanced by the "international" flavour in the jury composition.

Remember that a jury decision is, most of the time, a sort of compromise amongst various preferences. Also, in Antibes, the chairman of the jury sets the tone. Some are highgly technically oriented and do systematic analysis, others rely more on the impression left by a given image, its message.

We won an award in Antibes the first time we participated... could have been the opposite. After judging many competitions, I now know that being part of the top 20 is usually an achievement in itself and that beyond that, too many factors come into play to get depressed for not being one of the prize winners.

And change one or two individuals in a jury and you might get a much different pick for the top 3.

Alex made a good remark when he said that since the competiton only allows one print per photographer, it dilutes the quality a bit. Initially, when I looked at the print area this year, I felt that the quality was not as good as what it used to be. However, once I started to look at the individual images, I found an impressive number that were worthy of some praise.

Would I have picked the same prints that won... probably not... but it does not diminish the quality of the work submitted.

Pierre de Coubertin, the father of the modern olympics said that the most important thing was not to win but to participate.

In this respect, Antibes is a great success, attracting hundreds of participants from 55 countries. One thing worth noting though, there are too few North Americans that enter the various categories. As a matter of fact, we discussed this with many people there without coming to a single conclusion.

Bottom line: continue to make images and do not hesitate to submit them; this is what makes the competition interesting: variety, different perspectives and fun.

Sorry if there are typos, I'm still jetlaged and DEMA is coming fast.

Michel
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#52 DuikKees

DuikKees

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:34 PM

Does anybody know when the prints will be online somewhere? I am verry curious.

#53 cronix

cronix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:03 AM

Does anybody know when the prints will be online somewhere? I am verry curious.

Nice try Kees :lol:. I have one of the top 10 prints here in front of me :D .

#54 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8391 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:18 AM

Jason Heller has posted an excellent report on the event - that really captures the flavour of Le Fetsival:

http://www.divephoto...stival_main.php

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#55 DuikKees

DuikKees

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:10 AM

Nice try Kees :huh:. I have one of the top 10 prints here in front of me :D .

Probably the one that didn't win anything this time :lol:

#56 Merlinos

Merlinos

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:51 AM

Hi folks......

I read wetpixel since a couple of year 'cos there is great photographer here!!!! But now, Im' digital too.....and i dont feel shame anymore when i post! :D

I'm the winner of color print. I won with a picture taken in Moorea with 2 turtles. I'm quite agree with all of u: choosing just 1 photo is very difficult and it's a bit like tossing a coin: ur photo is appreciated....or not! Photograph's talent is more visible with series of 10 photos.......

this is the picture.......

Posted Image

Edited by Merlinos, 05 November 2006 - 11:16 AM.

Nikon D200 - Subal ND20- SB-104 - inon Z-220 - Inon Z-240
and my old....
Nikon F100 - Subal N10- Ikelite 100A Strobe

My website: www.Bluesun.fr

#57 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:49 PM

Beautiful..

And well done for the achievement..

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#58 DuikKees

DuikKees

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:18 PM

Hi Merlinos,

I really love your pic. It shows that you don't have to photograph extraordinary subjects to be a winner. This picture is all about subtle lighting and composition.

Could you tell us a bit more bout the location, settings, hardware etc.

#59 Merlinos

Merlinos

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:30 PM

Thx Dean!! :D

I'm so excited by the trip i won: 10 night in Alor (Indonesia) with unlimited dives!!! :( And now I'm digital so...unlimited photos! ;)
Nikon D200 - Subal ND20- SB-104 - inon Z-220 - Inon Z-240
and my old....
Nikon F100 - Subal N10- Ikelite 100A Strobe

My website: www.Bluesun.fr

#60 Claude

Claude

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:04 AM

.... and Claude showed me some stunning images of the wreck "Le Rubis"

do you mean that one ? ;)