• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 underexposed

underexposed

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

Has anyone experienced any problems with Ikelite housings getting cracks in them around the controls? I have a Oly 8080 in an Ikelite housing that has never been below 150FSW and on my first dive in Truk Lagoon it flooded. I just packed it up and checked it when I got home in the pool. I found that a few of the control areas had cracks radiating out from them and the leak was actually coming from a crack between the two holes that hold the latch on the side of the housing.

The housing is only 2 years old and I'm wondering if I've done something wrong or if it is just a flaw in the product. It seems it should last longer then that with average usage. I've sent it back to Ikelite for an estimate on repair but wonder if I should just cut my losses and get a different brand.

I'm sure most people have never had a problem with their housings so you don't need to tell me how great Ikelite is. I have many of their products and this is my second housing but, I don't want to waste money either or have another trip without pictures.

I didn't think to take any pictures of it before I sent it in.

Edited by underexposed, 13 October 2006 - 03:16 PM.

Underexposed
A.K.A. Mark
It's easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission.

#2 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2278 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:36 PM

How did it fly to your destination? Even if in a hard case luggage can take a tremendous amount of trauma. Leading to minute cracks or fractures that may not show up for a day or two.

I had an 8" dome port that didn't fracture until the 4th diving day of a trip. Subal made good on the dome but I now wonder if either it was initially cracked while flying or if it was knock off the camera table at night while on the boat. Something I have seen happen twice.

I now use a hard case with foam cushiong for support.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#3 underexposed

underexposed

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:44 PM

I have a large Pelican case with lots of foam on all sides. My wifes little coolpics housing did just fine in it and it is much thinner. I had noticed some of the cracks a while ago but they were not leaking so I didn't think they were a problem and possably normal. The only one that leaked was the 1/4 inch long one between the two latch posts.
Underexposed
A.K.A. Mark

#4 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

Spray lubricants are a primary cause of most cracking conditions. Rain-X is another no/no. The wrong "O" ring compound can also be the cause which is why we are so careful about which comound is specified.

Housing may be covered under warranty. Need to inspect first.

http://www.ikelite.c.../qmaintain.html

#5 underexposed

underexposed

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:57 PM

Thanks for the info. I can't even guess as to why anyone would put rain-x on/in a housing. Mine has always been dry inside and wet outside. All I've ever done is clean and lube (with my Ikelite lube) some of the o-rings in a few buttons that were sticky and dry whipe the inside. I'll wait until they e-mail me with their findings. I just don't want to have another one get ruined.
Underexposed
A.K.A. Mark

#6 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:18 AM

[quote name='underexposed' date='Oct 16 2006, 03:57 AM' post='105311']
Thanks for the info. I can't even guess as to why anyone would put rain-x on/in a housing.

Some people put rainX or similar on the outside of their dome port in an attempt to keep water droplets off their dome when shooting half and half shots.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#7 ColinZylka

ColinZylka

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:03 AM

I had a small stress crack in my D70 housing this past winter after coming back from a liveaboard trip. My housing was inside the hard Pelican case, but even so, it developed a small crack near the shutter control shaft. I found the crack exactly one week before leaving for a trip to Roatan in January, 2006. I called Ikelite, they asked me to send the housing to them, and within three days I had a brand new housing from them. This is another story of the legendary customer service for which Ikelite is famous.
Rest assured, they will do everything they can to get you back in the water ASAP that is both fair to you and fair to them. That's all any of us could ask for.

Best,

Colin.

#8 AUTiger

AUTiger

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, photography, snow skiing, home theater equipment

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the info. I can't even guess as to why anyone would put rain-x on/in a housing. Mine has always been dry inside and wet outside. All I've ever done is clean and lube (with my Ikelite lube) some of the o-rings in a few buttons that were sticky and dry whipe the inside. I'll wait until they e-mail me with their findings. I just don't want to have another one get ruined.

Someone might try an anti-fogging chemical treatment. Rain-x brand makes one for the interior of your car windshield.

I wouldn't be surprised if ammonia based cleaners (windex) could damage the polycarbonate. A person could conceivably try to clean the housing interior with a household cleaner.

The list of bad things that one might do (which don't seem so bad on the surface) is very long.

David

#9 underexposed

underexposed

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:04 PM

The only thing I've used on the ports is the lens cleaner that came with my camera. The housing had about 6 cracks in it so I don't have a clue. Ikelite did quote me $30 for the new case and $125 for the rebuild plus shipping and handling. They didn't offer up any possable causes other then Ike's thought on rain-x. $200 isn't too bad but I still wish I knew what was the cause. I'd hate to have it happen again.
Underexposed
A.K.A. Mark

#10 AUTiger

AUTiger

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, photography, snow skiing, home theater equipment

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:52 AM

The only thing I've used on the ports is the lens cleaner that came with my camera. The housing had about 6 cracks in it so I don't have a clue. Ikelite did quote me $30 for the new case and $125 for the rebuild plus shipping and handling. They didn't offer up any possable causes other then Ike's thought on rain-x. $200 isn't too bad but I still wish I knew what was the cause. I'd hate to have it happen again.

On the bright side (what little there is), your 2 year old housing was probably due for a complete service, which will be covered by the rebuild cost or maybe a small incremental fee. You'll come out of this with a like-new housing.

I guess you don't have equipment insurance.

David

#11 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:09 AM

Underexposed,

When you say "camera cleaner" what exactly are your referring to? If it was any type of lens cleaner, containing alcohol or other solvents I'd bet that is what caused cracks to appear.

Mild dishwashing soap and fresh water is all that's needed for more cleaning than a post dive fresh water rinse pushing the buttons to flush salt out.

As far as dome ports and keeping them clear, especially for over / under shots Baby Shampoo is the best. Biodegradable and cheap.

dhaas

Bah2006TigerSwimStep.jpg
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#12 underexposed

underexposed

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:54 PM

AUTiger,

That is the upside. It's like the D9 recall was good timing for a new battery.

dhaas,

The only thing I've used the lens cleaner on was the camera lens itself and the ports and it was always done with the port removed from the housing for access.

My only attempt at over/under was about 2 years ago on a rough day in the lagoon. There was nothing on the port except SW.
Posted Image
Underexposed
A.K.A. Mark