4 replies to this topic

#1 JedBoy

JedBoy

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 09:15 PM

Hello again....

I recently got my sea & sea wide angle lens that attaches to my Ikelite housing for my CP995. I have yet to try it out in the water but I am off to Cozumel on friday....
I dont know if I am supposed to set the camera's lens settings to wide angle? If the lens was attached directly to the camera I would adjust it...but since the lens is attached to the dome port of the housing am I still supposed to change the settings?

Sorry for this novice questions...but, well...I am a novice...

God I love this board!!!

Thanks in advance
Jed

#2 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 01:00 AM

I used the Inon w/a lens for a while. They are not exactly the same but very close. With the Inon and an Aquatica housing I was able to use the camera at it's widest angle setting without vignetting. Just do a quick dry run test to make sure. At most you would just have to zoom in a little.

________
Robert

#3 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 09:04 AM

I think you leave the setting at normal..........
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#4 JedBoy

JedBoy

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 03:27 PM

Like I said I am a novice...what's vignetting??

;)

Jed

#5 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 11:13 PM

Vignetting is when your image shows the edge of the barrel of the lens as a darkend shadow.

On your camera you have a zoom range from wide angle to telephoto. You wouldn't want to use the S&S lens with the camera in the telephoto position because you would not have a wide angle view. I will give you an example of this with my current camera setup (just because I know the numbers of this setup) My cp5000 has a zoom range from 28mm to 85mm. When I attach my wide angle lens to it the zoom range changes to 19mm to 58mm but even at it's widest setting I do not see any of the edge of the lens barrel (vignetting). When I attach my telefoto converter lens (for above water use) it changes my cameras zoom from 56mm to 170mm but I am only able to use 139mm to 170mm. If I use anything below 139mm I will see a black circle around the edge of the image and that would be the inside of the barrel of the telephoto coverter.

I hope I didn't confuse you more ;)

Either way you can check this by doing a dry run. Put your camera in the housing and attach the W/A lens. Zoom the camera to full wide angle. Take a picture of a white wall (don't use a flash, trust me on this but it could complicate this test). It doesn't matter if the exposre is long and the pictureis blurry as all you are concerned with is the light pattern. View the picture on your computer and look for any darkness in the corners of the image. If there isn't any then you can use your W/A lens at full wide angle. If you do see a little darkness, redo the test except this time from full wide angle zoom in just a tad. After doing this a few time you will find the optimal zoom that will not cause vignetting.

________
Robert