• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:58 AM

Iceland has resumed whale meat exports to the Faroe Islands (a self governed state of Denmark), breaking the spirit of the CITES if not the word since the Faroes are not bound by CITES (but Denmark is).
Iceland has gradually shifted its economy from fish products to other avenues due to decling fish stocks (gee DUHH!!!). I'd insiste on a boycott of Icelandic products but seeing how their most famous exports are Miss Worlds, I'd have to think about that. I mean 1 in 50k women are Miss world winners in Iceland. Sigh! it's tough to be a conservationist.
The total tally so far is 70 minke whales this year. Then we have Japan's 256 tally between June and Aug of this year ALONE and expect to increase to 1415 big whales annually from this year onwards including fin and sei whales both classified as protected by iCUN! :P ;)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

Has Iceland resumed its whaling.. Just heard from a friend and wanted to know if anyone else has heard this..

If so i I'm furious :D :D :)

Where do we write to where and what do we ban...This is a medieval industry that needs to be stopped permanently. Just found out that whales can live to 300 years old..What right have we to murder these beautiful creatures..

Dive safe

Dean(seriously angry)B
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#3 thatporchdawg

thatporchdawg

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:55 PM

Seems like they've been at it for a while now....

http://www.seashephe...ld_Iceland.html

This is terrible, especially considering there's no benefit or reason to continue this practice. :D
Ken Bean
Aquatica - Canon 20D - Sigma 50, Canon 100 & Sigma 15FE - Sea&Sea YS90-DXs

#4 Lndr

Lndr

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:29 PM

:D it sucks :D

As does Japan's plans to take humpbacks from antarctic waters this summer :) :) :(

Whaling is brutal, inhumane, and unjustified.

:(

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:45 PM

Merged the 2 topics since my post was posted over a month ago.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:17 AM

Sorry Drew,

Just been let out of my 'Gimp box' so a little behind the times. :D

Dive safe

Dean(save the whale)B
Facebook me ;)

#7 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:28 AM

It is just incredible! :D :D

http://news.bbc.co.u...ech/5319734.stm

http://www.campaign-...0238f6cf0684915
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#8 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:44 AM

&^%$* idiots if ya ask me.

Go HERE to sign the online petition.

Companies do take note when they get 150,000 emails so go and do your bit.

Wags
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#9 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:12 AM

Fantastic wags..

Everyone sign up..PLEASE.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#10 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:47 PM

Hey, Wagsy, thank you for the link to the petition. I've signed it and sent it on. Iceland's position on resuming whaling is horrendous, as is that of Japan. And the Japanese dolphin drives (currently underway) must stop. Period.

Here's BlueVoice.org's page of links to what can be done on both whales and dolphins.

Here's Sea Shepard's page of what can be done to end the dolphin drives.

Here's Oceana's petition on the dolphin drives.

It just seems we're going backwards. And there is great concern that next year's International Whaling Commission meeting will see Japan leading a majority, including a number of small Pacific island nations, in votes to further undo international protection of whales, including the endangered Humpbacks.

#11 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:03 PM

Mary I'm going to put all those links on the front page of hdvunderwater.com.

It's just greedy old silly men....

Well the Japs might be to busy sorting old Kimmy over there in NK instead of killing Whales. No more luxury goods for him as well...gee no new Play Station Kimmy...
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:11 PM

Well Icelandic boats have landed the first endangered species, a fin whale. I mean, one thing to hit minkes which have better populations but an endangered species? I guess the 21st century has to catch up with some people with more than with less.

Iceland hunts 1st whale

Drew

#13 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:52 PM

Well I think if we help spread the word about what they are doing, many tourists might not go there putting pressure on the Government to stop it as small tourist businesses start going broke.

Have put the links on my site.

#14 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:40 PM

The problem is that the small tourist business is fighting against a larger fishing industry which carries votes that keep these ministers in power. Same everywhere else in the world where marine conservation takes a backseat to self-preservation of political power.
I mean it took a scuba diving president to outlaw whaleshark hunting in the philippines, and he gets impeached :D
The funny thing is that normal icelanders don't even eat whale. It's just that the fishing boats need to keep working to keep the fishermen working. Same in Japan. Marine conservation be damned for the jobs of a few thousand people around the world.

Drew

#15 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:40 PM

I do feel sorry when people start to lose their jobs..But in some cases thats progression. In attitudes and knowledge..

If it wasn't the case we'd still be sending kids up chimneys and having slaves.

We fight for what we know is right. I understand people want to keep their traditions and jobs alive but their goverments will have to try and find them work elsewhere. If someone found out that Diving was killing the oceans in someway I'd sell my gear straight away, no probs..O.k its not my living but, seeing things 'Living' is why I do it. I hope I'm not selfish in that respect.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#16 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:48 AM

I suspect that the best way to apply pressure is to boycott Icelandic goods BUT if you know of an Icelandic company which exports good that you won't buy, then log on to their website and tell them! Pressure will be applied better if companies are furious with their government because they are losing sales and potential sales because of a governmental decision that has nothing to do with them.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#17 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:08 AM

Paul, Iceland exports include fish products, Bjork and Sigur Ros... and of course their Miss World types. I don't eat fish so that's easy. Bjork and Sigur Ros, very cool musicians who may join the anti hunt campaign so we should email them.
Miss World types... weelllll... tough one to boycott. :D

Drew

#18 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:17 AM

Come on Drew wheres your tough stance..

Even if a car load of 'Miss world types' pulled up and asked you to 'oil them up' I'd expect you to say 'NO'.. You have your morals.. :D

I would and i know the rest of us would as well.... <_<

Dive safe

Dean(getting his priorities right)B
Facebook me ;)

#19 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:23 AM

Here is another link.

Directorate of Tourism and Overseas Business Affairs

#20 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:riding my motorbike(s)

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:29 AM

Here is a copy of my communication to the Iceland UK Embassy at http://www.iceland.org/uk

Dear Ambassador

I have never emailed an Embassy of any nation before today.

The purpose of this email is to draw your attention to the fact that as of today I will be boycotting Icelandic products whenever and wherever the opportunity arises.

I understand that the 'Iceland' food group is owned by Baugar, the Icelandic business who also own Goldsmiths (jewellers) and have a stake in Somerfield. I will no longer buy from these organisations.

I'm not really sure what other Icelandic products I will come into contact with but rest assured that should I identify an article as being Icelandic in origin or remotely connected with Iceland via a Business or Company or any other way I will boycott that product.

I will actively request my family and friends boycott Iceland and Icelandic products. I will alert them to any product that I find has an Icelandic connection.

The sole reason for me taking such a negative view of Iceland, it's Government, people, and produce is because Iceland has resumed commercial whaling including fin whales – which are an endangered species.

Yours sincerely

Ralph Mortimore

I will also be e-mailing this to the relevent companies named, as well as any other business I discover with connections to Iceland.
fin2gs.gif