• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cmdasia

cmdasia

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 06:12 PM

I am wanting to buy a slide scanner, especially as my local lab just charged me 30 Baht a slide scan for a 5mb Tiff plus charges for the CD ROM (120 shots cost 100 USD - wow), as I am much much happier with the results that I am getting with film compared to what I got with digital (went from 4040 to F80) - moving back to digital is not an option for me (or my bank manager!).

I also really like the idea of the flexibility that having a slide scanner on my desktop will bring me.

I have been trawling the net looking at the various scanner options and "it seems" that there is a general like of the Nikon 4000 (4000 DPI creating a 60 MB TIFF) for slides - does anyone have any experience or comments they could share with me or guide me in my descision? I really have no knowledge or experiebnce in this area other than titbits gleaned from the net so any advice whatsoever will be truely appreciated.

#2 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 04 February 2003 - 06:38 PM

Both Marriard and I have the 4000 dpi Nikon scanners - Very Very good, but pricey.

The best lower priced one is the Minolta Dimage II

#3 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 07:11 PM

Is that the Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II or the Dimage Scan Dual II? The names are getting confusing. Thanks

Ted Janssen

NEX-7, Nauticam,  INON, and ULCS

#4 Simon K.

Simon K.

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 12:29 AM

I use the ScanWit of BenQ (formerly Acer (that what still is written on my scanner)) it scans in 2700 dpi with 48bit color depth. It comes with 2 magazinse for 4 framed slides and 1 Magazine for 6 Slides as Film strip. The quality is good and is perfectly ok for the ambitious amateur. I can't tell you how it behaves with UW-Photos I shoot only digital UW, nut I don't think there should be a difference. The price was about 500 a year ago. The scans in Maximum quality (2700dpi/48bit/full slide) are 56.6 MB

Simon

#5 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 05 February 2003 - 12:45 AM

Dimage Scan dual II