55 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1976 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

Anyone have any news on future availability of hi-res 16:9 externally housed monitors? Seems a lot of people are still getting 4:3 low-res options to use with HDV which is far from ideal.

Last I heard, Amphibico were working on one. What are the specs? Who else is working on one? What size? What resolution? When?

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:58 PM

Nick by the time you get your HDV rig you are going to know exact what to get by all us beta testers here..

Yes the Canadians are working on a small affordable 2.5 inch wide 16.9 Hi Res external LCD. I'll see it I can get any sneak info......but it should be ready by the end of the year.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1976 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:45 AM

True Wags, you'd think I ought to but I'll probably still screw up and get the wrong gear :blink: All your beta testing and feedback is highly appreciated! At least I've committed to the camera now (Z1).

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:12 AM

Nick, No question about it, the Z1 is excellent but you may want to see how the FX-7 fares before purchasing. Never the less, one thing I've learned since going to HDV is that if you are going to be using a monitor, a hi rez one is imperative. Focus is too important and the visual between current monitors and the actual viewfinder is quite large.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:41 AM

I would agree with Steve. Current monitors are useful for framing only with these hdv cams. For accurate color and focus info, you need the native monitor. When they build an hd ext monitor, they better connect it to the component out jack (won't do much good going through the constrained analog RCA). Even with my hi res native monitor, things can look crisp that are infact pretty fuzzy. You need all the advantage you can get.

For this reason i use my native montior almost exclusively now. So, L&M and Amphibico users are very fortunate to have this top window to view it. It certainly changes your shooting style, but once you get used to it, it is not much of a handicap (different does not equal less effective).
-Shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#6 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:47 PM

Will the FX7 offer variables between PAL and NTSC? If not I would hedge bets on the Z1. The ability to switch to the client requirements is a massive bonus to any International shooter. Makes sense too not to have to worry about getting two cams.

I was looking at the Marshall 7" external field monitor but we all know the story there to house it. A lot of people using the HVX200 when it first came out were opting for the Marshall as potentially the best option for external monitoring of their shoots.

The specs of the monitor can be found here. Its not a true native HD option but the best available until about 6 months ago. I've not kept up with external monitors since then so there could be something better out there now.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#7 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:08 PM

Mark,
Have you heard anything more about the monitor yet? I would be very interested in the pragmatic results.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#8 nickdiver

nickdiver

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Uw filmmaking, uw photo, digital video editing, marine conservation

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:15 PM

Hello everybdy,

FYI, I just talked to the L& Motion guys (tech support), and I understand that it'll be a while before they come out with a true 16:9 top monitor. And hopefully they'll hook it up to the component out jack of the cam, as pointed out by Shawn.

Mark, neither the FX7 nor the pro version, the HVR-V1, will offer NTSC / PAL switchability. The Z1U is the only one so far. That's why I'm leaning towards the Z1U at this time.

Mark, I remember when I was there working with you in Palau, that there was this italian guy who was shooting with a PD100 in widescreen, and was using this big 16:9 monitor that was about 18" by 10" or so (external measurements from memory, NOT actual size).
The monitor had shades on the two sides and the top.

The guy told me it was made by an italian company, can't remember the name.
I do NOT think it's the company by Jean Claude Uldry (http://www.adval.it ), at least not based on what I see on their website.

Anyway, I remember he was pretty happy with it, although it is a big/bulky monitor, and for sure it'll make for some huffin' & puffin' when shooting in strong current, etc.

Of course, it is not clear whether that monitor was a regular "squished" SDefinition monitor, or "HD-ready", and therefore able to display more detail than a regular SD monitor (important for HD focus).

If anybody is interested I can try to track him down through some uw video/photo connections I still have in Italy, and see what I get.

My .05

Nick
Nick Martorano - Ocean Wonders Underwater Video Productions
L&M Bluefin HD for Sony Z1U, with L&M Standard and WA lens; L&M Sunray Pro HID lighs; backup rig: L&M Bluefin 900 for Sony PD100 and L&M Standard, WA, Macro lenses; MacroMate Super Macro lens
http://www.oceanwonders.org

#9 redryder

redryder

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:23 PM

You may have a look at extreme vision a french company, they have a 7" 16:9 HD monitor at a reasonable price (1520 Euro)

I have seen it working on a Z1 and it looked fine (good contrast, bright screen)

If you want to have a look go to: www.extrem-vision.com
XDCam EX1 + Gates + Fathom SWP - Sony A1 + Sea&Sea + "custom" S&S wide port

#10 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:47 PM

Here's a photo of it

Attached Images

• Seabox_loc_petit.gif

Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#11 nickdiver

nickdiver

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Uw filmmaking, uw photo, digital video editing, marine conservation

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

Hey redryder,

thanks for the info on the trem-vision.com.

Went there, looks like the english page is not enabled. From the french version of the page, it's not clear what the rez on that monitor is...

It looks like the monitor's power autonomy is only 90min, but at least it is PAL/NTSC switchable...

It also looks like they're working on a housing for the FX7...

Nick
Nick Martorano - Ocean Wonders Underwater Video Productions
L&M Bluefin HD for Sony Z1U, with L&M Standard and WA lens; L&M Sunray Pro HID lighs; backup rig: L&M Bluefin 900 for Sony PD100 and L&M Standard, WA, Macro lenses; MacroMate Super Macro lens
http://www.oceanwonders.org

#12 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:25 AM

Wow those are abit $$$

I did hear that the Amphibico one is going to be like 16.9 / 4.3 and have true full digital 24 bits...so nice and sharp. Not sure how much though.
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#13 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:23 AM

Trust in the economy and demand....it will be a lot of money...but folk will buy it because a SD monitor just doesn't do it when shooting in HDV...unfortunately.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#14 3@5

3@5

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:38 AM

Hey redryder,

thanks for the info on the trem-vision.com.

Went there, looks like the english page is not enabled. From the french version of the page, it's not clear what the rez on that monitor is...

It looks like the monitor's power autonomy is only 90min, but at least it is PAL/NTSC switchable...

It also looks like they're working on a housing for the FX7...

Nick

they will be in antibes, if you prod me just before the dates i will try and remember to ask them :)
(antibes in 25-29oct)
/paul
Paul Papadopoulos
canon 1dmkII + seacam silver + inon z220
My Webpage

#15 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:42 AM

It was hinted to me early on this year that the Amphibico HDV monitor was going to be around £1300...

But once again that was just rumours..Although from a quite reliable source.

But as need rises, so does the price.

If L&M come out with a decent one that fits the Amphibico range then we can look at that. Although they tend to be more expensive when first released, Other wise I'm buying a 14 inch HD ready LCD and sticking it in a tupperware box. :)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#16 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:44 PM

I hope it want be that much $1300 pounds is like over $3000 AUS. $1500AUS and they would sell like hotcakes I recond.

Buying an aftermarket one and making a box for it might not be a bad idea after all.

#17 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

Amphibico is trying to use the Sony display used in Sony PSP hand held videogames......
Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#18 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:41 AM

Just got off the phone after a semi heated dicussion with my Amphibico dealer concerning 'why' my housing is 'yet to be looked at' even though I sent it in last thursday on the assurence it would be hopefully ready for my shoot this thursday..O.k if they couldn't get the parts at least I could have hired one in time.. ;)

When midway through his explanation about being 'holed up' with the chairman of Amphibico all week, he mentioned the arrival (late Jan to Feb 07) of the 16:9 HD Monitor.

Here's how it went.

They (Amphibico) are hoping to have the monitor ready by Jan or Feb next year, but its going to be expensive.."How much do you call expensive" Well, it will be around the £2000-£2500 mark... But it will be worth the wait. Peter Scoones has ordered Six already...

Well fair play to old Scoonsey..He's got the BBC platinum card.

(Why do people think if they load you up with 'big' names you'd be dumbfounded into believing anything.)

Who are Amphibico aiming their market at for christ sake..The Sultan of Brunei.

I am seriously heading towards Gates I tell you. Although my man At Amphibico tried to tell me all the 'Big players' used Amphibico. Well I know for a fact Doug Allan uses Gates for his Z1 because he was going to sell me one of them With the Monster Fathom lens. Should have excepted the offer and Peter Scoones makes his own housings for the HDCAM which he supplies the BBC, he told me himself.

Anyway there it is...

Dive safe

Dean(kit less)B
Facebook me ;)

#19 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:11 AM

Go Dean.....

$2000 pounds...thats like $5000 AUD? I hope they don't end up costing that much. We really might have to start making our own.

Wonder how much a FX1 LCD costs to buy. Just have to house it and run the wires into the housing.

We had some guys here once shooting with a Digital Beta and the housing was made by a local Perth engenieering company, they paid like $8000 AUS for it but there they were under the water filming with it.

#20 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:36 AM

Yeah, I love a rant..

Especially a deserved one. I'm sat at home on a lovely day with no camera to play with. ;)

Should be at my topside location shooting kingfishers, watervoles, coots etc, etc...

Thats another thing the service guy asked me to send my camera inside the housing so he could check 'Compatability' Then the main boss man says "we have plenty of A1's here so there was no need". Apparently though he's having lunch with Posh n Becks and Kofi anan :glare:

"Whatever girlfriend"

They can take my housing but they will never take my camera..Oh shit, they already did. :P

Dive safe

Dean(THE RANT)B
Facebook me ;)