• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 12:22 AM

If you haven't flooded something photographic you will. At least that's what I hear everyone say. The closest I've come is a small leak with a Nikonos and a 15mm lens, and no I didn't have insurance at the time but it was a company camera.

Now that I've racked up some change in housings, cameras and strobes I can't afford not to have insurance. I did some shopping around and found that DAN (the medical outfit at Duke Univ) also offers equipment insurance. Unlike some of the other equpment insurance providers DAN's underwriter does not require you to insure anything you don't want to (like DEEP that makes you insure your reg, BC, etc.). It's great piece of mind. When getting an online price estimate make sure that you add everything you have and watch what the premium is. I noticed that as I added more stuff the premium didn't change. I forget what the price break point is but you can add as many things as you like until you reach a certain price and then the premium will raise to the next higher level. BTW you have to be a member of DAN in order to get this insurance but you should be anyway.

________
Robert

#2 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 01:06 AM

Robert,

I started a thread on this very subject a while back. It would appear that DAN insurance for equipment is USA member based only. This is no good for the likes of myself from the UK. Although I would be interested in DAN's official stance on this. Alternatively, as myself, insurance is through house contents. However, I have just purchased some new expensive gear & need to review this in more detail.

Mark
Dirk Pitt taught me everything!!!!
E10/Titan housing/1 x Sea & Sea 90 Duo

#3 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 06:42 AM

Yes I wasn't thiinking international. But home owners insurance is probably just as good.

________
Robert

#4 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 02:04 PM

Ask your agent what they will do for you if you flood it. Mine (State Farm) said unless it's do to a leak in the roof I am out of luck. If you can get Dan, it makes me sleep better at night.

#5 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 02:15 PM

My agent told me that under my house plan the housing is not covered for flood protection but, is covered if it is stolen or lost on a trip.

I say nothing more.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 02:22 PM

Woops! Dropped another one overboard again, derrnit!
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#7 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 06:13 AM

He He He. Yeh. Keep em comin. That darn mutt of mine got kinda hungry & chewed up the housing.

Bless im, he gets the blame for everything in our house. I must upgrade my mobile phone every 2 months for a better model. You'd think the phone company would cotton on to it by now! They must have quite a collection of dog chewed phones by now .....lol. ;)

#8 MrFish

MrFish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 01:50 PM

I am in the UK and shopped around for insurance for both my dive gear and camera equipment. I ended up using Dive Master Insurance because they insure for every single eventuality, loss, damage, flooding etc and a major deciding factor was that they don't mind what country you dive in, even countries recommended for avoidance by the Foreign Office. I even asked if i could dive in Iraq and still be covered, and yes it is!!

i have about 8200 worth off kit insured and it costs about 400 a year. Expensive but great peace of mind
Dave Hopson
Fuji S2 pro, Ikelite housing, 60mm Nikon macro lens, DS50, Nikon SB-102

#9 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 02:25 PM

I recently contacted Divemaster about this too. They do not offer flood insurance only. You have to insure all of your equipment too. I was quoted 500 but found this particularly expensive. I contacted my house insurance company and all of my gear is now covered at home, in transit, in use etc for an extra 100/yr. Not bad. It DOES NOT cover flood insurance, but hey if it floods its a csae of 'it fell in the pond whilst takin a duck photo'.

Mark

#10 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 02:27 PM

I even asked if i could dive in Iraq

Go on then educate me....where the hell in Iraq????? or more importantly why?

#11 MrFish

MrFish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 05:34 AM

The point i was making was that they don't mind where you go. Places that most insurance companies just wouldn't touch
Dave Hopson
Fuji S2 pro, Ikelite housing, 60mm Nikon macro lens, DS50, Nikon SB-102

#12 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 08:28 AM

LOL I actually was on a dive trip in the Cozumel, we got back to port....fellow divers camera flooded. He packed it all up carried it to a restaraunt, left it by his table, wandered the square for a couple hours, what do ya know, when he got back some asshole had stolen it.

:D

#13 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 22 February 2003 - 08:56 AM

Ha ha... Brilliant, I love initiative.

Best flood insurance I know is patience & regularly maintained O-rings!

#14 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 09:05 AM

All insurance has a deductible - so don't flood yours on purpose. With DAN, the flood deductible is more than the loss/theft deductible. Strange eh?

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#15 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 03:05 PM

the flood deductible is more than the loss/theft deductible

I didn't flood my camera, it fell over the wall and I didn't feel that it would be safe to chase it.

#16 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:17 PM

My deductible through Farmers Insurance is $100 no matter what happens to it. It's called an "all risk" photography endorsement and everything including the housing is covered. The laptop is covered under a seperate endorsement and all the rest of the dive gear is covered under the normal policy up to $12K. All this for $75/year.

Unfortunately Farmers vs. State of Texas may force me into another carrier before the year is out.