What wetsuit, where?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:37 AM

Mike I can beat you there.

I filmed the Coral Spawn one night in me Dry Suit :D
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#22 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:38 AM

I think you are all missing the most important factor... bioprene or body fat % or the "other insulation layer".

So it should be:

Neoprene thickness:
Body Fat % (Caliper or immersion method):

:D

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#23 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:59 PM

ahem brrr that's cold

Doh! I knew that would happen. :D

anyway for people wanting to dive in the south of france around antibes, nice, cannes, monaco:

winter (ie anything outside of july, august, mid-september) a 6.5 semi dry with layers underneath when required - coldest the water goes to is 15-16degrees C. though i am now strongly considering a dry suit.

summer: well it depends how deep you want to go, because even in the middle of summer at 30m the water goes down to 17-18degrees C. so some people put up with a 5mm, others like me stick with the semi dry :)

Temperatures sound the same to me Paul - plenty of folks go the semi dry option downunder in Melbourne too. :( But I've found them to be more accurately described as semi wet - and no warmer for me than a normal wettie. :) Perhaps I'm just wierd. :D
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#24 fdog

fdog

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:52 PM

Since everyone's covered the warmer areas, I'll address what's local to us:

Lake Tahoe
48-65 degrees F
July-Oct 7mm Semi
Nov-June shell drysuit

Monterey
51-58 degrees F Oct-June
56-61 degrees F July-Sept
Drysuit throughout

I should add that I'm one of those characters that tends to go straight to the drysuit (even in the tropics) after my 3mm gets chilly!

All the best, James

#25 jarhed

jarhed

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA/Underwater Photography<br />Travel

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:00 PM

I'm mostly a west coast diver, and will echo the previous need for a dry suit year round in Monterey although I see many diving in 7mm wetsuits.

Other data pts:

San Diego
60-70 degrees
7mm or Drysuit

Catalina (Nov)
70 deg +/- 5deg
7mm

Cabo (Dec)
70ish
7mm

Bahrain
90+
nylon skin (keep off jellies...)

Take care,
John
John B
Nikon D7000, Nauticam Housing
http://overundertravels.smugmug.com/

#26 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:12 AM

I think you are all missing the most important factor... bioprene or body fat % or the "other insulation layer".

So it should be:
[snip]

Hey! Who you callin' fat??!! :D

Edited by anthp, 01 November 2006 - 02:13 AM.

Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#27 Quinn

Quinn

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:06 AM

Just to compare, I dive Grand Cayman a fair amount as well. Winter months, any water temps below 80 degrees , I wear a 7/5 combo, warmer than 80, I drop to a standard 5mil. Summer temps of 84 degrees I might drop to a 3mil, for the first dives of the day. But I'll also add that additional layers such as hoods and vests are added throughout the course of the day and the dives. I have yet to ever be too warm underwater on a dive>:lol:) So much depends on the individual, the level of comfort, the length of the dive, surface temps. the list goes on. What works for some may not work for others. Best to know what you yourself need, according to the water temps.
Speaking of Cayman, Alex, will I see you down there this winter? We arrive on island the 6th of January.
Perhaps I can practice my backroll some more for you. :D

Edited by Quinn, 02 November 2006 - 05:08 AM.

#28 markdhanlon

markdhanlon

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

actually i wear 5 or 7mm in 30 degree, so you have a way to go to catch me in the wuss factor....

I don't understand how Mike ever survived in Vancouver :D

I use a dry suit for any diving around Vancouver Island all year round with various levels of undies depending on water temp.
Always wear hood and gloves.
Sincerely,
Mark Hanlon

Canon 350D, Ike Housing, dual DS-125, 10-17mm FE, 60mm macro.

#29 ChasO2

ChasO2

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:23 PM

January Red Sea 5mm 23C
June Red Sea 2-3mm 26-28C

Feb Red Sea 22-24C on a liveaboard a drysuit was excellent choice with not too much thermal insulation not due as much to inwater but the wind chill on getting back on the boat. 5mm wetsuit was fine in the water and had a lot of kidding about the drysuit till returning from dive. Shore based can maybe more easily get out of the wind so the wetsuit OK.

Canary Islands, Jan 5mm wetsuit was the norm but a drysuit was more comfortable.

The Mediterranean off Spain in July water was about 20C air was HOT. The drysuit I could have open and comfortable on the boat, zip up near last minute and be comfortable in the water. Those in the needed 5mm wetsuit or semidry were really sweltering for nearly a half hour before getting in.

#30 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:20 PM

Colorado Alpine Lakes

Summer 45 degrees F.
Winter - Frozen

Gear -
Summer - Drysuit
Winter - Ice Auger, Dry suit, woolies, Parka, ear muffs and plenty of antifreeze :) :)
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#31 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:44 PM

So it should be:

Neoprene thickness:

:)

I think also head-hair-cover should also be noted!!....Mike? :D

Canary Islands: winter (january-june) 18 ÂșC, summer (july-november) 23 so 6mm semi-wet in winter and 5mm full suit in the summer... and a nice amount of hard earned bioprene :) :)
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#32 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:24 AM

This is my simple guide:

For dedicated dive trips to tropical waters, e.g. spending more than 2 hrs (often more than 3 hrs)under water a day for a week or more, a 5mm full suit. If the water is 30 degrees celcius or more - a full 3mm will be ok.
Shorty can work for resort diving in tropical waters (two short dives on one or two days).

For temperate and cold waters - a dry suit. 7 mm wetsuits are a bit too bulky inmo.

/christian