• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:16 AM

Well, went to the camera shop district today with the idea of hunting for an elusive 77mm diopter for my Canon 10-22mm...

Didn't find a diopter, but ended up leaving the shop with a Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye instead! :D

Rai - you said your friend was using his Tokina on a S&S D200 housing and Athena dome without any extension, right? This is how it looks on mine w/o any extension. Lens looks pretty far into the dome. Maybe a small extension might be better. 40mm ext I have is too long as there is vignetting from the dome itself (even with the shade removed).

Edit: just noticed on the Athena site that the Nikkor 10.5 FE is recommended to be used w/o any extension and the Athena dome. The Tokina FE is just a 1/4" longer so maybe I don't need an extension :D . Will try to test it out if I can get some pool time soon.

Posted Image

and just a quick street shot on the way back from the store... Interesting lens...
Posted Image

Edited by pakman, 06 January 2007 - 04:48 AM.

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#42 Rai

Rai

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:31 AM

Sorry for the answer delay. I was on holidays.

Yesterday I talked with my friend and told me the he uses the Athena dome with no extension ring without any trouble. He also told me that he was pretty sure (but no testing indeed) that with a extension ring, the vignetting will probably appear.

#43 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:33 AM

Sorry for the answer delay. I was on holidays.

Yesterday I talked with my friend and told me the he uses the Athena dome with no extension ring without any trouble. He also told me that he was pretty sure (but no testing indeed) that with a extension ring, the vignetting will probably appear.

thanks for replying Rai. actually I noticed that there is vignetting even above water with the ext. (with and without the dome hood)

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#44 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:12 PM

From my first dives with the 10-17 lense.

It looks promising.

Used it on an Aquatica D2X with a 6" port.

I modified an existing ( Canon 50mm macro ) gear to use the zoom

turtle2.jpg turtle_1.jpg

#45 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:45 PM

Check out those corners in Peter's pics........

Fisheye's rule!!!!

It will be a hit, especially for us Canon shooters. Plus it is SO compact it even fits in the little Ikelite #5503 "standard" 6" dome port :P

Of course, the 8" dome port wil be used for over / under images.....

dhaas
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#46 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

oh that is beautiful Peter... Can't wait to give this lens a try in Palau next month!

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#47 Rattus

Rattus

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:12 AM

Rai - you said your friend was using his Tokina on a S&S D200 housing and Athena dome without any extension, right? This is how it looks on mine w/o any extension. Lens looks pretty far into the dome. Maybe a small extension might be better. 40mm ext I have is too long as there is vignetting from the dome itself (even with the shade removed).

Edit: just noticed on the Athena site that the Nikkor 10.5 FE is recommended to be used w/o any extension and the Athena dome. The Tokina FE is just a 1/4" longer so maybe I don't need an extension :P . Will try to test it out if I can get some pool time soon.

Posted Image

Hi Pakman,

It's pretty obvious from your rig shot that you ideally want an extension tube in there. With that Athena dome I'd say you really want the longest extension that doesn't cause vignetting. you can work that out in air. Just unhook the dome and move it away from the housing until you start to see some of it in the captured images (viewfinder lies obviously). Then move it back about 1cm for comfort.

By the looks of the image, I'd guess the 40mm ring is going to be too much and you'll be wanting the 22mm.

Martyn
Canon 5D
S&S DX-5D housing, TTL, YS-110s, ULCS, etc.

#48 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:10 AM

you're probably right Martyn. There is just the slightest of vignetting with the 40mm ext (only ext I have). I did do some quick bath tub tests (have't had time to test in a pool) and tried some close focus shots. Looked pretty nice. But will give the 22mm ext a shot.

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#49 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:45 AM

Has anyone tried this lens on a 5D or 1ds? It'd be interesting to see how much of the image beyond the cropped sensor edge is useful.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#50 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:41 PM

Here's a few samples on a 5D, Herb:

http://chinese.engad...sheye-canon-5d/
http://dc.watch.impr...11/17/5039.html

I'd seen a set in English I think, but I haven't found that again yet...
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#51 serge

serge

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:32 AM

OK, i NEED this lens.

I am going to Japan this week to pick up my new Eos 30D with INON X2 housing ... i know it is quite hopeless ... but does anyone know, if it's possible to fit this lens under the Dome-port for the X2.
Extensions, yes or no? >> japanese shops offer a Dome for the canon 15mm Fisheye ... maybe this one is enough? and thay also offer one with extension for the canon 14 mm lens.

anyone knows if one of the two might fit? or something else?

thanks

www.serge-mondial.com
www.nad-lembeh.com
http://nadlembehresort.wordpress.com
EOS 7D / Nauticam

#52 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:36 AM

By the looks of the image, I'd guess the 40mm ring is going to be too much and you'll be wanting the 22mm.

Martyn

well picked up a 22mm extension this weekend. no vignetting during topside tests. Will need to get into a pool sometime.

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#53 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:04 AM

I got my lense from Yodobashi Camera @ Uemeda Station Osaka on New Years Eve.
They are the Japanese equivelent of B&H Photo and have stores in Tokyo & Osaka, and do have some english speaking staff for gaijin travellers.

Got this self portrait yesterday.

_DSC0489_2_web_100__.jpg

and cropped

_DSC0489_3crop_web.jpg

#54 Rai

Rai

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:02 AM

well picked up a 22mm extension this weekend. no vignetting during topside tests. Will need to get into a pool sometime.

If vignetting didn't appear in topside tests, it won't appear UW. But you still have to test in the pool for corner blurring. Better if you try with and without the extension. If blur doesn't shows up in both cases you can choose using the extension or not, depending on what you wanna do: over/under with extension and CFWA without it in order of taking profit of the really small minimum focus distance.

Rai

#55 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:43 AM

LOL! Nice pics Peter! :D which camera was that shot with?

Rai - thanks for the advice... will give both setups a try

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#56 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:15 AM

I have been shooting this lens on a D2X in an Aquatica housing , no extension ring and have been using 6'' custom dome that I had made.

It really has been a lot of fun, although I have spent most of my time at 10mm rather than the 17mm end which had been my norm. I am starting to get a feel for it now and am really looking forward to using it on a big dome as soon as the weather breaks. :D :D

#57 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:31 AM

oops silly me, I forgot you had mentioned that already when you posted the turtle pics...

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#58 Hobbes382

Hobbes382

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

I am very interested in this lens; especially for my upcoming snorkel trip to the Silver Banks in March :-) But does anyone know how it might perform behind a 6" dome? I am actually using the Canon 17-40 lens behind the Ikelite #5503.51 6" dome at the moment. Ike's port chart says to use the #5503 6" dome or the 8" dome fir this Tokina fisheye. What will happen if I use the 5503.51 port instead?

Thanks in advance.

#59 KenByrne

KenByrne

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:33 AM

I went to a local freshwater site at the weekend to try out the Tokina lens with my D70 and Ike housing. First problem I had was that when I put the camera in the housing I could quite clearly see the shade at 10mm. I removed the shade but would prefer the minor protection this gives. On quite a lot of shots I had some flare from the flash on the left side and a strange curved line which is caused by the flash reflecting off something or refracting through the edge of the port. If it's the latter then trimming the shade and replacing it should help.

At 17mm and F8 the corners seem reasonable sharp.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This shot shows the flare problem. It also shows the fisheye distortion. Again shot at f8.

Posted Image

There's a bit of a hotspot on this one but less, I think because there's a subject on the left.
Posted Image

Finally a couple of available light shots. In each case I had to dial in about -1.5 exposure compensation to stop the top of the picture burning out. It was a dark day with low vis and I guess the extreme wide angle was picking up too much variation between the dark bottom and the surface light for the meter to cope.

1/45 at f3.5 no major soft corners even wide open.

Posted Image

1/15 at f3.5

Posted Image
Ken Byrne
D70, Ikelite Housing

#60 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:07 AM

Ken, thanks for posting the pics. I'm not sure if I see that flare line you're referring to... are you talking about the backscatter on the left (pic #3)? I'm not an expert but I did notice when I took this lens down this weekend for a quick 10min test dive that I had to be a lot more careful with strobe placement (vs my old 10-22 lens) otherwise I'd get similiar backscatter/ hotspots...

Edited by pakman, 29 January 2007 - 06:12 AM.

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing