• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#61 KenByrne

KenByrne

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:31 AM

In the backscatter on pic 3 there's a bright white curved line. When I look again it's not as obvious on this shot as some others because it sort of follows the edge of the container. I think if I can get the strobe placement right to avoid the backscatter I'll lose this flare as well.
Ken Byrne
D70, Ikelite Housing

#62 Hobbes382

Hobbes382

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:11 PM

I went to a local freshwater site at the weekend to try out the Tokina lens with my D70 and Ike housing.

Ken,

Thanks for posting those shots. I'm wrestling with a decision to pick up this lens or the Canon 10-22 rectilinear UWA for my RebelXT. What dome port were you using with the Tokina in your Ike housing, 6" or 8"? That's the other half of my dilema, which dome port to get.

Thanks for your help.

#63 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:43 PM

Ken,

Thanks for posting those shots. I'm wrestling with a decision to pick up this lens or the Canon 10-22 rectilinear UWA for my RebelXT. What dome port were you using with the Tokina in your Ike housing, 6" or 8"? That's the other half of my dilema, which dome port to get.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not an expert but have limited experience with a 10-22. It's an impressive topside lens and does a great job uw if you are doing blue water shots. But, if you are trying to do close up wide angle shots of reefs, the corners are soft at the wide zoom range (10-15mm). A friend who has an Ikelite has expressed similiar problems. Now the solution would be to get a diopter... But the problem is finding a quality diopter in a 77mm filter size! The Canon one is about $150 plus change. and only +2 I think. I did pick up a cheap Hoya single element +2 diopter to fool around with, but the topside test with it were so disappointing that I will not even try in uw. Overall picture quality was degraded and the corners were real soft. So until I hear from someone who's got the same dome and housing who has gotten good results with the expensive Canon diopter, I am going to stick with the Tokina for u/w WA use.

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#64 KenByrne

KenByrne

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:57 AM

To answer the question I was using the 5503 6" dome.

I've also got a Nikon 12-24 lens and using that the corners are a little soft, although not so bad when the lens is stopped down. I did pick up a diopter for it but didn't find it helped particulary. I also found that the filter mount was so thick it caused vingnetting at 12mm. This may be the same for the Canon 10-22.

With regard to the flare I've looked at my shots again and noticed I didn't have the problem on the second dive so I'm convinced it's a flash placement problem. I need to do more work to learn just where to place the strobes.
Ken Byrne
D70, Ikelite Housing

#65 marinedomain

marinedomain

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Computing

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:31 AM

Shot the below today with the Tokina 10-17 (kindly lent to me by Peter Mooney) on a Nikon D200 with a single Sea&Sea YS90DX strobe, was using an 8'' dome with strobe placed directly above dome angled to the surface at a 30 degree angle. No cropping of pics has been done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Regards
Gary

Edited by marinedomain, 30 January 2007 - 02:56 AM.

Gary Brennand - www.garlin-photography.com

Nikon D300, Aquatica

#66 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:44 AM

Gary, you and Peter are killing me! I'm dying to try my Tokina FE out in warm blue waters! Great shots!

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#67 marinedomain

marinedomain

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Computing

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:47 AM

Just to rub it in, some more from todays dive. Using the same setup.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Starting to get the hang of lining things up using the reflection in the dome

Regards
Gary

Edited by marinedomain, 31 January 2007 - 05:50 AM.

Gary Brennand - www.garlin-photography.com

Nikon D300, Aquatica

#68 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:54 AM

Perhaps you can try to get a little light into the mask , bring up those lovely eyes.

#69 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:51 AM

Peter and others,

This lens keeps looking more and more intriguing......

I read at one web site something about "Quick Focus Shift" mechanism allowing manual focus after AF. But when I look at Tokina's own site detailing this lens there are no details.....

Does the 10-17mm have the same "pull back" clutch to shift from AF to manual focus some of the other Tokina lenses have?

Being a wide, wide lens I expect most would shoot it in AF anyway....

Any details appreciated...

dhaas
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#70 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

dhaas, no such luck... you need to switch the focus switch to manual.

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#71 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:12 AM

pakman,

That's the news I wanted, anyway. I couldn't see any switch on any of the lens photos....

I am an AF junkie, never using Manual focussing, even with macro.....

Thanks for your insights!

dhaas
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#72 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:20 PM

OK, back from Palau. Absolutely love this Tokina FE lens! Never took out my Canon 10-22 once during the entire trip. Took me awhile to get use to strobe placement, especially on closeup WA shots. The 22mm port extension + Athena Dome worked out perfectly.

Jellyfish lake @17mm
Posted Image

Jellyfish Lake @10mm (CS2 post processed for the blue sky)
Posted Image

Turtle @ 10mm
Posted Image

Juvenile Napoleon Wrasse @ 17mm hamming it up for the camera...
Posted Image

Chandelier Cave @ 10mm
Posted Image

Edited by pakman, 26 February 2007 - 07:22 PM.

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#73 Nunomix

Nunomix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Diving and more Diving. UW Photography.

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:39 AM

The pictures look great Pakman!!!

Makes me wanna get the lens too. I am going to Utila on 7th April and I was still not able to test my 10-22 properly in the Dutch murky waters. I hope I dont get disappointed with it.

How did you use the zoom ring?

Regards,

Nuno
Nikon D300 / Nikon D700, Tokina 10-17 Fisheye, Nikon AF-S 14-24mm, Nikon 60mm, Nikon 105mm, Sea&Sea MDX-300, S&S TTL Converter, 2xS&S YS-110, S&S Glass Dome Port, S&S Compact Flat Port, S&S Extension Rings SX and 40 Fisheye Focus Light

http:/nunosanches.com/journal

#74 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:45 AM

How did you use the zoom ring?

thanks Nuno. I re-used my S&S 60mm macro focus ring with some foam tape underneath as the 60mm focus ring is just a little bit too wide.

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#75 Nunomix

Nunomix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:54 AM

thanks Nuno. I re-used my S&S 60mm macro focus ring with some foam tape underneath as the 60mm focus ring is just a little bit too wide.

Thats right. I think you told me this before. How well does the zoom ring work then? Does it slip once in a while or was it working like with the o-rings?
Nikon D300 / Nikon D700, Tokina 10-17 Fisheye, Nikon AF-S 14-24mm, Nikon 60mm, Nikon 105mm, Sea&Sea MDX-300, S&S TTL Converter, 2xS&S YS-110, S&S Glass Dome Port, S&S Compact Flat Port, S&S Extension Rings SX and 40 Fisheye Focus Light

#76 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

Nice shots! I love the over-under of Jellyfish Lake!

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#77 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:24 PM

Nuno, I had it slip once as I was switching the 60mm ring between the Tokina FE and my Sigma 18-50mm (my "shark" lens) between dives. Otherwise it was pretty snug (I was using that weather sealing tape that you would use around doors/ windows). I was shooting down on a giant clam and the ring fell off onto the dome. I almost had a heart attack as I was looking in the viewfinder, when I hear "clink" and all sudden there is SEVERE vignetting! Made for an interest shot...

Thanks Bruce...

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#78 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

Perhaps you can try to get a little light into the mask , bring up those lovely eyes.

I dunno Pete,
I kinda like the 'blacked out' look.

BTW, I am Sooo glad that his mask leaks, that'll teach him for takin' such great pictures!!...LOL
I saw blue water like that in our Port Phillip Bay once; I think someone dropped a tin of nice 'duck-egg blue' off the back of their boat... ;)

Wonderful images...

Bruce

#79 Nunomix

Nunomix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:18 AM

Nuno, I had it slip once as I was switching the 60mm ring between the Tokina FE and my Sigma 18-50mm (my "shark" lens) between dives. Otherwise it was pretty snug (I was using that weather sealing tape that you would use around doors/ windows). I was shooting down on a giant clam and the ring fell off onto the dome. I almost had a heart attack as I was looking in the viewfinder, when I hear "clink" and all sudden there is SEVERE vignetting! Made for an interest shot...

Thanks Bruce...

I guess after seeing your pics Pakman, I had to buy the lens myself... the trip is getting very expensive already.... Ordered the lens this morning. I should have it tomorrow and then I have to work out the zoom ring.

Cheers

Nuno

#80 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:37 PM

I guess after seeing your pics Pakman, I had to buy the lens myself... the trip is getting very expensive already.... Ordered the lens this morning. I should have it tomorrow and then I have to work out the zoom ring.

Cheers

Nuno

hehehe... you won't regret it. really nice lens u/w and topside. Plus the lens itself is as small as the Canon EFS 60mm macro so it doesn't take a lot of room in your camera/gear bag or pose any problems with port extensions. I just noticed nexus has released a compact dome just for this lens. Would make for a pretty compact kit to travel with.

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing