#121 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

I have been using it with a 6" dome with great results.

#122 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:25 AM

Well I had a chance to dive with the Tokina again this long Easter weekend in Cabilao Island, Philippines. Goofing around during one of our safety stops, I couldn't resist copying Peter and Gary's signature self-portraits with the Tokina FE... :D Even got Nemo to cooperate... :guiness:

Posted Image

Edited by pakman, 09 April 2007 - 05:26 AM.

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#123 marinedomain

marinedomain

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Computing

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:32 AM

Nicely done pakman :D
Gary Brennand - www.garlin-photography.com

Nikon D300, Aquatica

#124 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:34 AM

I got my Tokina lens already! To come back to the issue about using the S&S EFS 60 zoom ring with this lens, I tried several alternatives but although they looked snug when out of the housing, when inside the housing and in a dome port facing down position, the ring would end up falling after playing with the zoom several times.

What I noticed is that the oring inside the ring is in the front while the zoom of the tokina is in the back of the lens. This means the oring is not grabbing in the lens. Until so far the solution I got was the following:

- 1 elastic band (the ones you use for clothes) in the zoom ring.
- 2 of these velcro bands, cut small and thin so that it does not scratch when you put it back in the EF-S 60

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you guys have new ideas, please let me know

Nuno

Thought I'd dig this up again for anyone who already has a Canon 10-22mm focus ring for the S&S housings and is considering the Tokina FE.

I was sitting here tonight prepping my camera for a pool session tomorrow with some new club divers. For some reason, I thought initially that the Canon 10-22 zoom ring didn't work on the Tokina FE lens but I thought I'd give it a try again. Actually it does with a little mod and it seems to be a more secure fit than the 60mm focus ring. Similiar to the 60mm ring, the Tokina is just a little too thin so you place a little foam tape over the Tokina lens focus ring itself (I put 4 small pieces around the Tokina focus ring), then put the plastic ring that comes with the 10-22 zoom ring over the foam. Then slide the 10-22 metal zoom ring over it. It's a little easier to put on than the 60mm focus ring (less worry of the foam tape sliding around). You just have to be careful not to switch the lens AF switch to manual.

Anyways, thought you'd might want to know.

Edited by pakman, 13 April 2007 - 07:36 AM.

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#125 ChrisJ

ChrisJ

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

this thread MADE me sell a perfectly good sigma 15mm and nikon 12-24 lens, and made me NEED a 10-17.

thanks guys, thanks alot.
Nikon D3, 17-35mm f/2.8, 35-70mm f/2.8, 50mm 1.8, 70-300mm VR

#126 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:15 AM

Chris,

You're Welcome! Always willing to help a buddy out.......

:)

dhaasRonOverUnderThreeSistersHeadspring.jpg
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#127 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:08 AM

speaking of cropped canon sensors, does any one know if the the tokina will fit the 1,3 crop of the 1dmkII?

Paul - It does fit the lens mount, but will likely have to be zoomed in a little. I had a friend drop by my studio in Key Largo recently with a Tokina 10-17 with a Canon mount and I tried it on my full frame 1DsMKII. Big vignette effect, and I did not pursue. However, if I was thinking it through I would have tried on my 1DMKII with the 1.3 crop.

I think that might be a more useful sensor utilization. And now with the MKIII shipping, that might actually be a very powerful combination. Seacam is making a MKIII housing, and according to http://www.robgalbra...cid=7-8738-8908 the MKIII is apparently pretty amazing.

If anyone happens to be diving the Keys and driving down US 1 in Key Largo with a Tokina 10-17 (Canon mount) in their camera bag, please stop by Frink Photo @ MM102.5 (bayside). I'd like to see how much vignetting we get with the 1.3 chip.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#128 3@5

3@5

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:32 AM

Paul - It does fit the lens mount, but will likely have to be zoomed in a little. I had a friend drop by my studio in Key Largo recently with a Tokina 10-17 with a Canon mount and I tried it on my full frame 1DsMKII. Big vignette effect, and I did not pursue. However, if I was thinking it through I would have tried on my 1DMKII with the 1.3 crop.

I think that might be a more useful sensor utilization. And now with the MKIII shipping, that might actually be a very powerful combination. Seacam is making a MKIII housing, and according to http://www.robgalbra...cid=7-8738-8908 the MKIII is apparently pretty amazing.

If anyone happens to be diving the Keys and driving down US 1 in Key Largo with a Tokina 10-17 (Canon mount) in their camera bag, please stop by Frink Photo @ MM102.5 (bayside). I'd like to see how much vignetting we get with the 1.3 chip.

Stephen,
Thanks for the update! Appreciate it :)
/paul
Paul Papadopoulos
canon 1dmkII + seacam silver + inon z220
My Webpage

#129 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:54 AM

I'd like to see how much vignetting we get with the 1.3 chip.

I imagine it'll look something like setting the lens at 13mm on FF :).

Source: Tokina 10-17 on 5D
Posted Image

A few people have taken to shaving the lens to remove the shade. One estimate places the FOV (in certain areas of the frame) over 190deg when used with FF cameras.
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba