3 replies to this topic

#1 wesley

wesley

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:travel/motorcycles/diving/photography

Posted 06 February 2003 - 09:34 AM

OK so this post isn't about digital slr's. I am bringing my D100 and sea and sea housing with me to Belize though. Its my first time to Belize and just looking to get some advice from anyone who has been there. I will be staying on Caye Caulker. Any recommendations for sites or dive operators? B)

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 09:59 AM

I have been there, as has Scottyb and a few others.

The diving at the outer atolls is the best. The nearshore reefs are good but nothing like the offshore stuff.

See if you can get a trip to Turneffe, or the Lighthouse Reef complex (long caye, half moon caye, etc).

PS, I'm going to move this to Dive Destinations to see if we can get some more responses. (looks like someone beat me to it)

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:56 AM

I was in Belize in June 2001 and again last December. I thought the reefs were in better shape on the last trip. I agree with James, the better diving is at Lighthouse Reef. Since you have never done Blue Hole, it's one of those "been there, done that" dives you probably should do once. The only way I would go on that long boat ride, would be to do Half Moon Caye also, which most of them do.

If you want a land deal, stay at Lighthouse Reef Resort. It's a very nice operation and they dive along side the Sun Dancer and the Aggressor almost every day with very short boat rides. Of course if you want maximum diving (up to 27/week) and no bugs, the live-aboards are the way to go.

#4 wesley

wesley

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:travel/motorcycles/diving/photography

Posted 06 February 2003 - 03:34 PM

thanks for the info. Think I will skip the blue hole. Its going to be nice to dive without a drysuit again. Just warm clear water