• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisJ

ChrisJ

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:54 AM

I stumbled across this in nikonians, and thought that it would help others here...

Ebay Advisory

So, if its too good to be true, it probaby is.
Nikon D3, 17-35mm f/2.8, 35-70mm f/2.8, 50mm 1.8, 70-300mm VR

#2 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:46 PM

I got burned on one of these. The seller stated they were in Canada, but the payment went to Singapore. The cards are coming out of China. When it arrived, it wouldn't format in any of three cameras. It looked like a good deal, but not a great deal. Paypal covered it, but what a hassle. My local camera dealer said they are seeing lots of customers that but cards in Hong Kong and they turn out to be fake as well. It's not just CF Cards, by the way. All types of cards are being counterfeited.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:14 PM

When you get the card... usually the serial number is printed on them. The fakes don't have a serial number. The fake cards are not limited to CF... they have them for SD and even Memory Sticks. Pay the extra 10 bucks and buy from a reputable source. When it's too good to be true, it usually is. ;)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.