• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10637 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:24 AM

Eric wants an official live report but since I'm suffering for the first time jet lag (red eye flights and babies don't mix), I thought I'd throw in my first impressions on video products. I'll skip the housings for now and concentrate on accesssories. The first half day and I think I've found an accessory that is definitely on my list for best video product at DEMA: the Gates Tripod
This very meticulously engineered tripod is more than just a 3 legged stand. With a wider base platform, it resembles those 3 legged Martian Invaders from War of the Worlds more than the convention tripod design. I suggested calling it the Orwell stand to Gates but he didn't really bite on that one.
Besides the extendable legs (using Ultra Light Control System links) the adjustability of the legs make it useful for other things. The 2 legs in front can be a brace against a wall to shoot pygmy seahorses (of course the user has be careful where to mount them to avoid damaging coral!) and with the 3 leg extended against the diver, the fore/aft movement is virtually eliminated ( hence focus will be easier). It can also act like a tommy gun grip extension for even more stable shooting. A great accessory which is unfortunately only available for Gates housings. Hopefully enough demand will twist Gate's arms to develop adapters for other housings.

Posted Image
The Gates Tripod

Another product I'm fond of as an entry level camcorder is the Canon HV10, whose sensor is the ONLY 1920x1080 full resolution sensor downconverted to HDV 1440x1080. I've already ordered one which will be waiting for me at home when I return. The resolution from this little digicam is outstanding for the size and for those requiring a compact HDV camcorder, I think this is an awesome camcorder. Of course there are fewer manual controls and no one button actuation for many of the functions, but the resolution quality is significantly above the competition (ie Sony HC3) that it'd be worth the inconveniences and lack of manual controls.
Fortunately 2 housing manufacturers will support this camera, Ikelite and Seatool. I'll be posting pics of those housings in the main report. Now it's 3 am bio standard time and I'll try to force myself to get some beauty sleep.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:56 AM

Looks like a great idea Drew..Wish I could be there...

Same clamps that I have on my Ultra Light Arms
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 peacedog

peacedog

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:11 PM

I would buy this tripod for my Bluefin housing in the time it would take to swipe my credit card. I really hope gates thinks seriously about adapters.
Sony Z1U
L&M Bluefin HD
LiquidAssets TV

#4 skawdiver

skawdiver

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:23 AM

I would buy this tripod for my Bluefin housing in the time it would take to swipe my credit card. I really hope gates thinks seriously about adapters.

Me too, for my Amphibico.

Come on, get it done NOW - please :)

Edited by skawdiver, 12 November 2006 - 01:23 AM.

Hans Christian Andersen - www.skawdiver.com • Underwater film production in Scandinavia
Sony PD-170 + Amphibico Housing + Amphibico monitor + Kowalski 1250D Speed lights
Sony TRV 310E + Ikelite Housing + Kowalski 1250D Speed lights + Ultralights arms system

#5 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:50 AM

A friend of mine just bought a tripod made of ball joints for his compact. It was called a 'gorilla' or something..It just about grips to anything and stays sturdy.

I wonder if a version for U/W housings could be made.. It would be more flexible...

If any manufcturers see this I want 40% of the retail...Its a good offer.

Dive safe

Dean(thinking of 'YOUR' future)B
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#6 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:43 AM

Anything on FX7 housings ?

#7 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:05 AM

Ron

Amphibico housing for the FX7 will go by the name of Endeavor.
So now there is a Phenom, Endeavor and EVO :)

You wil have control off....
Gain and Shutter
Exposure / Manual-Auto
Expanded Focus
Internal flip arm with URPRO filter
Camera/Photo/Playback modes
Variable zoom speed
Manual Focus
White Balance
Menu Control
Playback VTR mode
Review
Record/Standby
Power On/Off
Lights on/off
Hydrophone

It looks like it will come with the Phenoms full zoom through 94 degree port.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#8 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:02 AM

Sounds like a winner. Any idea on pricing ?

I imagine housings from the big 3 will be similar to their VX2000 housings but upgraded.

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10637 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:57 AM

Report will be coming today I hope.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#10 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:06 AM

My conversations with Joe from Amphibico led me to believe that they were looking at USD $4495.00 as a price point for the new housing.

He said the likely port offering would be the basic port ( small dome - no elements ) with the 94 degree port as an option.

#11 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:23 AM

$4495.00 :D

That will be over 3000 when we get a look..

I will be checking the manual controls very carefully.. :glare: :)

That plus all the extra's for the new lens, monitor etc... Crikey, might as well put my deposit on 'RED'.. :)

Dive safe

DeanB

P.S 'Endeavour' To attempt to try...An attempt...Striving to achieve something..Oxford dictionary..Hopefully a better attempt :)
Facebook me ;)

#12 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:52 AM

My conversations with Joe from Amphibico led me to believe that they were looking at USD $4495.00 as a price point for the new housing.

He said the likely port offering would be the basic port ( small dome - no elements ) with the 94 degree port as an option.

$4495 ? :)

What's the phone number for Ikelite ?

#13 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10637 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:44 AM

At DEMA, Joe promised there would be assign button access. The original design did not have it but they have promised it'll be there on the production model. Anyone using picture profiles or other commands will be very happy.

Ronrosa
The DEMA report is out so check out the less expensive housings available if you think Amphibico is too steep.
Check it out here.

Ron

Amphibico housing for the FX7 will go by the name of Endeavor.
So now there is a Phenom, Endeavor and EVO :guiness:

You wil have control off....
Gain and Shutter
Exposure / Manual-Auto
Expanded Focus
Internal flip arm with URPRO filter
Camera/Photo/Playback modes
Variable zoom speed
Manual Focus
White Balance
Menu Control
Playback VTR mode
Review
Record/Standby
Power On/Off
Lights on/off
Hydrophone

It looks like it will come with the Phenoms full zoom through 94 degree port.

Drew

#14 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:55 AM

Hey Drew,
Nice products review from DEMA. Did you get any indication of pricing for the Newtlite HMI's? Still waiting to hear back from the comapny direct but I guess they are getting things sorted from DEMA. I know they were also using the show for product launch and didn't have a pricing set when i first approached them. just wondering if they mentioned anything to you?

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#15 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:18 PM

Got the price from the manufacturer.

Don't waste your time answering this request. Sure you got better things to do.

Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#16 Newton

Newton

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:21 AM

$4495 ? ;)

What's the phone number for Ikelite ?

I am curious,,, seem like eveybody want to shoot like a PRO but dont want to invest into the equipements!!

:guiness: . ,,plus the facts, that reading the post, seem like nobody have a real grasps at what they want!!!

If you want the best, dont buy anythings!!!! why,, because there will be always somethings better coming along ..and now, more often and more rapidly since electronics advancement is very rapid and goes by leaps and bounds!!

No too long ago, video equipments had a shelf life of at least 18months,, remenber the VH1000?? it's was on Sony list for over 3 years and most of us, videographer , got that camera when we started!!
now, you are lucky if a model last 8 months!!...
So you want the housings manufacturer to offer you all the bells and whistles at very low price,,,, how can they do it if a unit only has a very short shelf life and that purchases of housings units no longer in the thousands per model, because of very wide camera models selections now availables, , and everybody asking for new housings, when they *heard* of a new cam coming out..even if not out yet??

Also, the segment of the world videographer that are involved on a regular base, in underwater production is less than 1%!!!

Guys, wake up,,, low volumme usually equal high prices,,, not the others way around!!

I was involved in manufacturings and it's the unfortunate thruth..unless you sell a *staple products* that is needed by a great majority, when it come to specialized items, and Und CAmera Housings is very specialized,,..you just cannot produced cheap for small volumme turn up,,..
High quality as a price,,,,,especially when it almost custom fit, as most high quality unit,, not a acrylic box!!
Personnaly, I feel that all present Und Housing manufacturers are doing what I call Semi-Custom work and their pricing, based on what I have seen, if more than fair and wondering how some can still be in business,,

the other solution,,, it's have it made in china!!! but the Chinese have not touch that market yet,, why,, because it's low volumme!!

regards, Newton

ps..involved in car parts manufacturings,,,,

#17 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:19 PM

Whoa Newton, lighten up.

I was joking. I fully expect to pay $3k-$4k for my FX7 housing or more depending on the lens package.

Not that is anything wrong with Ikelite, but they most likely won't have the feature set or lens I want.

#18 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:44 PM

I love friday nights..

Is Newton a personal friend of manufacturers or is he after a freebie.. ;)

Still a lot of money for a metal box... :guiness:

$3-4K I wish, that would be half price to us landlocked U.K people.

It will be more like £3-4K in real money..

But apparently justified under Newtons law of 'realistcally' priced... :)

Everyone one wants to go pro for cheap, thats being human/stingey..

Still I don't mind splashing out good money on something that works... ;) :glare:

Dive safe

Dean(only jokin)B
Facebook me ;)