6 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 06:06 AM

Forgive me for I know not what I do! I just bought the Micro 70-180 F4.5-5.6

On the S2, this lens will have an equivalent field of view of a 105-270!!!!

I have been wanting a long lens and I almost bought a 70-210 (f2.8) for topside shooting, but I decided to shell out another $200 and get this macro lens instead.

You can read Thom Hogan's review here:

http://www.bythom.co...80Macrolens.htm

Any of the Nexus shooters here have experience w/ this lens? They make a great port system for it.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 06:50 AM

I also have this lens and will be receiving the nexus port for it, but I don't plan to use it on the next trip. Too many other new things.

Several of my friends use it with their N90 setups and love it. It combines the working distances of a 105 with the flexibility of a 60 (almost). On the other hand, it is very big and heavy and it is difficult to set the port up, so you won't like changing it. You also need a diopter for 1:1.

I'm afraid with digital that the short end will still be too long, so it may not be as attractive as it is with film. I'm interested to know what your thoughts are once you try it.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#3 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 11:13 AM

Yikes!!!

Can't wait to read your review. I would be concerned with a couple of things, this based on my experience with the 200mm f4 macro.

First, it's a b*tch to handle. The length of the port makes an ungainly unit. Move your strobes forward and all your system wants to do is fall forward.

Second, it's a slower lens. Forget AF. Everyone says that, but I used AF on the 200 because I couldn't get the focus gear lined up right. It's not easy though, but neither is manual focus. Any movement requires a refocus. The tried and true techique, supposedly, is the set your focus and move yourself. Again, easier said than done. Any minute movement of you or the subject makes focus difficult. DOF is pretty slim.

Third, where are all the folks who insisted the 60mm was the way (vs. the 105) to go because with digital because it allowed you get closer? With an equivalent 105-270mm you can get yourself pretty far away. Beyond strobe range.

I found the 200mm great for very small skittish creatures and eyeballs. Works really well on land though.

Is the tripod collar detachable? Ikelite couldn't provide a port for the 200mm because the tripod collar will not come off the 200mm. No problems with the Aquatica.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#4 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 12:46 PM

With the Nexus port, the tripod collar needs to be removed. Doing so voids the lens warranty.

The 70-180 loses much of its focal length at close focus. At the 180 end, the effective focal length at minimum focus is less than 100mm and best (full-frame) magnification without diopters is less than 1:1 (1:1.33 I believe). The effective working distances are closer to the 105 than you might expect. It is big, long and heavy and you're really gonna look good shooting it.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 01:05 PM

I feel like more of a man already!

j/k

I considered buying a 105 and I considered buying a 70-210 - so I figured the 70-180 Micro would be a good compromise since I can't buy both and still pay the bills. I talked to my friend Larry Jackson at length about this lens before making up my mind. Larry shot this lens pretty much exclusively on the Flower Gardens spawning trip that we did together and he really likes it - but then he's got a Nexus housing/port system.

We'll see.

Cheers
James

PS, I was and still am one of the guys who sings the praises of the 60mm. Who knows, I may never get this 70-180 underwater...
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#6 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 04:19 AM

I may never get this 70-180 underwater...

Sure you will. You'll figure a way. That's the fun of it all. Experimenting with new stuff is always interesting, if not completely successful. I enjoy places where I can shore dive for experimenting with new combos, like my 105mm with 2x tele and diopter. It was good for some laughs (at myself).

Was Larry using it on a digital? What did he like about it? What range was he using it? Did you see the results? I'd love to hear more feedback on the lens.

You will definitely find a use for it topside.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 07:49 PM

Larry was shooting slides with his N90s and I haven't seen the results. I think he was mostly doing small fish macro work. He did get a scanner, so I'll drop him a line.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes